Circulation around a plane wing.

In summary, the conversation is about using circulation and vorticity to show that air flows faster over a wing than below it. The speaker is unsure of where to start and asks for help without making things too complicated. They mention using a resource for reference and being able to show that for a faster speed, the pressure is less using Bernoulli's principle, but they still need help understanding how the link shows this in simpler terms.
billy92
After looking into the lift force i hve been able to calculate most of the things i know. I have however been told that i need to use circulation and vorticity to show that the air flows faster over the wing than below it. I need to show this mathematically by derviving an equation but i am unsure where to start.

Would anybody be able to help without making things too complicated

Physics news on Phys.org
There isn't some magic equation to use. There is basically no simple way to do it. For a slow (M<0.3) airfoil, the easiest way to determine circulation is probably using a simple inviscid panel method code and enforcing the Kutta condition. That will give you a circulation value.

For faster flows, compressibility becomes important and the problem becomes more difficult. Once you reach the point of having a supersonic leading edge, circulation is no longer the important factor and you can determine lift from the series of shocks and expansions and the resulting pressure fields.

I have been told to use the following resource

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...on fluid dynamics&pg=PA18#v=onepage&q&f=false

I was able to show that for a faster speed the pressure is less using bernoulli principle. I now need to show that the speed is greater above the wing. WOuld anyone be able to explain how the link shows this in more simpler terms

Thanks

FAQ: Circulation around a plane wing.

What is circulation around a plane wing?

Circulation around a plane wing refers to the flow of air around the wing as an aircraft moves through the air. It is an important factor in determining the lift and drag forces acting on the wing.

How does circulation affect lift?

The circulation around a wing creates a pressure difference between the upper and lower surfaces of the wing. This pressure difference results in an upward force, known as lift, which helps the aircraft stay in the air.

What is the relationship between circulation and angle of attack?

The angle of attack, or the angle at which the wing meets the oncoming air, affects the circulation around a wing. As the angle of attack increases, so does the circulation, resulting in a higher lift force. However, at a certain point, the airflow over the wing becomes turbulent and lift decreases.

How does the shape of a wing impact circulation?

The shape of a wing, including its camber and airfoil, can greatly influence the circulation around it. A well-designed wing shape can create a more efficient circulation pattern, resulting in better lift and less drag.

Can circulation be controlled?

Yes, circulation around a wing can be controlled through various methods, such as flaps, slats, and winglets. These devices can alter the wing's shape and affect the airflow, resulting in changes to the circulation and lift forces.