Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Civil Nuclear Consortiums

1. Feb 21, 2006 #1
    I've got a question on these large consortiums (of US and some French firms) that have been formed to work on nuclear constructions in the US. I wasn't sure where exactly to post, so please feel free to move.

NuStart is an example of the type of consortium I'm wondering about. It appears to be made up of a lot of different companies - Constellation, GE, Entergy - which makes sense in itself for funding reasons. It has I think several new reactor construction propositions in the making for US.

But then you've got other consortiums (I can't recall their names) also working on US nuclear power plant proposals, and several of their members are also in the NuStart consortium.

I can understand why a consortium would be needed in the first place for funding, but why are companies part of two or more consortiums building the same things at different locations? Is there a change that one group will make more money than another? Does one company in a particular consortium tend to make more money than the rest? If the companies are all working together to an extent, why not just form one big consortium working on plenty of projects?

Thanks.

Oh, also I realize that different consortiums have both selected the GE simplified boiling water reactor (I might've murdered that one), but that's not my question.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2006 #2

Morbius

Science Advisor

4. Feb 21, 2006 #3
    But would not this lead to situations where one company with a minority interest in one consortium and a majority in another ultimately attempt to sabotage negotiations in the minority one, everything else being equal?

It seems to me to be a lot like lions, who all hunt together and work together until they make the kill, upon which they literally fight each other to get the largest share. A correct metaphor? And if so, wouldn't this back and forth dampen the USG's resolve to proceed with any nuclear energy construction at all?

Thanks.

5. Feb 26, 2006 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

No not necessarily, although each indiviual utility will likely jockey for maximum benefit.

The consortia are aimed at getting new plants and sites approved under the new approach of Construction and Operating License (COL) applications, as opposed to the old two step process, which allowed for outsiders or intervenors to challenge the process.

See - USDOE - Office of Nuclear Energy, Science and Technology - http://np2010.ne.doe.gov/NP2010CurProjects.asp
    Nustart's website - http://www.nustartenergy.com/
    Entergy Nuclear's website related to Nustart.

Progress Energy appoints firms to prepare two nuclear COL applications

DOE announced recently some additional limits on subsequent COL's, but I will have to dig around for that announcement.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?