Clarification about a Power screw's specifications please

• Thread starter bbq_build
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary: In simple theory the coefficients of friction only depend on the materials of screw and nut and/or on lubrication conditions .You'll have to explain to me what the velocity threshold and low pass filter constant for a screw thread are.
bbq_build
Hello, I have a power screw. According to the specifications, it is M8x1.25. Does that mean the effective diameter of the thread is 8 mm while the pitch is 1.25 mm? Is the screw radius just 4mm?

From the internet, it looks like the lead angle is atan(Lead/(pi*effective diameter of the thread)) or atan(number of threads*Pitch)/(pi*effective diameter of the thread).

Could you please let me know how to find the number of threads and the lead (m/rev)? What is the lead angle in this case? Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
To your first paragraph: yes and yes.
The "nominal diameter" would be 8mm. That's the outer edge of the helix.
The pitch would be 1.25mm. That's the distance from one turn to the next on the helix.

I am not sure what you mean by "lead angle". If it is the angle that helix would make with the surface being screwed, it would be atan(pitch/(pi*diameter)).

In the simple case, the "lead" as you describe it, would be the pitch - except that you would have to convert from mm/rev to m/rev.
In the less simple case, the screw may not actually penetrate at the full rate if the hole it is moving through has not been pre-drilled.

Likes bbq_build
If you have one perhaps measure it :-)

CWatters said:
If you have one perhaps measure it :-)

What instrument do you recommend to measure the lead angle and the thread angle?

I want to know the type of screw thread I have. It looks like I can tell the type if I can measure the thread angle.
.Scott said:
To your first paragraph: yes and yes.
The "nominal diameter" would be 8mm. That's the outer edge of the helix.
The pitch would be 1.25mm. That's the distance from one turn to the next on the helix.

I am not sure what you mean by "lead angle". If it is the angle that helix would make with the surface being screwed, it would be atan(pitch/(pi*diameter)).

In the simple case, the "lead" as you describe it, would be the pitch - except that you would have to convert from mm/rev to m/rev.
In the less simple case, the screw may not actually penetrate at the full rate if the hole it is moving through has not been pre-drilled.

Thanks. By "lead angle", I mean the one mentioned in:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_(engineering)
http://www.mitsubishicarbide.com/en...c_threading_formula_top/tec_threading_formula

I think both refer to the same thing but please correct me if I am wrong.

For your reference, here is a photo of the thread I have:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/149564621@N02/shares/9878y6

Last edited:
bbq_build said:
I think both refer to the same thing but please correct me if I am wrong.
Yes, they are the same. For the M8x1.25, there is only one helix.

Can use a micrometer to measure the diameter and just count the threads over say 10 or 20mm to work out the pitch.

CWatters said:
Can use a micrometer to measure the diameter and just count the threads over say 10 or 20mm to work out the pitch.

I know. What about the lead angle and thread angle? Can they be measured by some kind of instrument that can be bought at hardware stores?

Nidum said:
That looks like a standard ISO thread .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_metric_screw_thread

Thanks. Do I need to measure the thread angle to find out if it is ACME, Trapezoidal, Vee, Buttess, Round or square thread, etc? From the attached photo, can one tell what type it is? I got the power screw in Japan.

bbq_build said:
From the attached photo can one tell what type it is?

Yes . Almost certainly it is a 60 deg V thread .

Likes bbq_build
M8 x 1,25 ISO Thread form . v2.png

That's a CAD image of a screw with true ISO 60 deg V thread form . See the similarity to the thread form on your screw ?

Likes bbq_build
Nidum said:
View attachment 154453

That's a CAD image ofa screw with true ISO 60 deg V thread form . See the similarity to the thread form on your screw ?

They look quite similar but the one on top seem to have sharper crests and troughs. Do I have to concern about this?

I need to find the coefficient of kinetic friction, coefficient of static friction, velocity threshold (m/s) and low pass filter constant.

In simple theory the coefficients of friction only depend on the materials of screw and nut and/or on lubrication conditions .

You'll have to explain to me what the velocity threshold and low pass filter constant for a screw thread are .

Last edited:
Likes bbq_build
Thanks. Cannot find the coefficient of static and kinetic frictions for brass with aluminum. Anybody knows the values? For the velocity threshold, I was told that it is related to the continuous stick-slip friction model. Please refer to:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/149564621@N02/shares/97aB49

Brass against Aluminium is a very poor materials combination to use in any kind of bearing application .

For your brass screw a non metallic nut would be better . Consider Nylon or PTFE .

Last edited:
Nidum said:
Brass against Aluminium is a very poor materials combination to use in any kind of bearing application .

For your brass screw a non metallic nut would be better . Consider Nylon or PTFE .

Thanks. That is interesting but I am modelling a product that I bought. The screw is brass and the nut is aluminum.

CWatters said:
There are some methods like 2wire,3 wire measuring methods for measuring the depth and dia of the screw threads. And these vary for thread to thread. That is type of the thread

bbq_build said:
Hello, I have a power screw. According to the specifications, it is M8x1.25. Does that mean the effective diameter of the thread is 8 mm while the pitch is 1.25 mm? Is the screw radius just 4mm?

From the internet, it looks like the lead angle is atan(Lead/(pi*effective diameter of the thread)) or atan(number of threads*Pitch)/(pi*effective diameter of the thread).

Could you please let me know how to find the number of threads and the lead (m/rev)? What is the lead angle in this case? Thanks in advance.
Yes you are correct. 8 is the nominal diameter in mm, 1.25 is the pitch in mm and M stands for metric. Lead is the distance traveled by the nut measured parallel to the screw axis in 1turn. Lead angle is the inclination of the thread with the screw axis. If you don't mine, I suggest you a square thread for Power transmission rather than others. Because square threads are ment for power transmission only. I doesn't mean that other screws can't transmit the power. Yes, they can but as not efficient that those of square ones can!

Likes bbq_build

1. What is a power screw and how does it work?

A power screw is a type of fastener that is used to convert rotational motion into linear motion. It consists of a threaded shaft and a mating nut or threaded hole. When the screw is turned, it moves along the threads and either pushes or pulls on the nut or hole, creating linear motion.

2. What are the different types of power screws?

There are several types of power screws, including lead screws, ball screws, and roller screws. Lead screws are the most common and use a sliding friction between the threads to create motion. Ball screws use rolling friction between balls and the threads for smoother and more efficient motion. Roller screws use multiple rollers to increase the load-carrying capacity compared to lead screws.

3. How are power screw specifications determined?

The specifications of a power screw, such as the thread pitch, lead, and diameter, are determined by the application and the desired performance. Factors such as load capacity, speed, accuracy, and efficiency all play a role in determining the appropriate specifications for a power screw.

4. What is the difference between a power screw and a regular screw?

The main difference between a power screw and a regular screw is their intended use. A regular screw is typically used to hold objects together, while a power screw is designed to convert rotational motion into linear motion. Power screws also tend to have larger and more precise threads to handle the higher loads and forces involved.

5. What factors should be considered when selecting a power screw?

When selecting a power screw, factors such as load capacity, speed, accuracy, efficiency, and environment should be taken into account. It is also important to consider the type of motion (pushing or pulling) and the direction of rotation (clockwise or counterclockwise) required for the application. Additionally, the material and coating of the power screw should be chosen based on the environment it will be used in to ensure durability and longevity.