1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clarification of 3D Vectors

1. Sep 25, 2007 #1
    An object has an initial velocity given by V = vi + vj, where v=10m/s. If an acceleration of A = ak, where a = 10 m/s^2 is applied for 10 seconds determine the final velocity for the object.

How far did the object travel in 10s?

How far from the z axis is the object?

Well to start. I used the equation:
    Vf = Vi + at
    Vf = (10i + 10j) + (10k)(10s)
    Vf = 10i + 10j + 100k

Then to determine distance, I used:
    D^2 = (change in x)^2 + (change in y)^2 + (change in z)^2

D = sqrt.(10,200) m?
    I am not sure if I calculated this right.

Then for the last part of the question, I am not really sure how to determine this. I know that the object moved 100m in the x direction, and 100m in the y direction, and I think it moved 500m in the z direction given the Vf= 100m/s in z direction and Vi = 0m/s in z direction.

So I am assuming we have to use pythagorean theorem again? I am not sure. Please help, and comment on any of the previous answers please.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2007 #2
    for the second part, i think you should use
    s = ut + half*at^2 to find its position vector and then use the distance formula to find its distance from the origin.

for the third part, that will be the z-component of the above position vector that you find.
  4. Sep 25, 2007 #3
    so if I use that equation:

i get:

s(t) = 100i + 100j + 500K

D = sqrt. (270,000) m?

Then for distance from z axis is simply sqrt. (500) m?
  5. Sep 25, 2007 #4
    i did a mistake here.

for the second part, i guess so...

for the third part, it is square root of (x-component^2+y-component^2) = sqrt(10000+10000). if you draw the final coordinate of the particle, i think you will see why.
  6. Sep 25, 2007 #5
    i am not really understanding how you determined the 3rd part...

The way you did it, it simply looks like the displacement between the x and y components...not the distance from the z axis.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?