Classes to take to prepare for physics education grad school

In summary, the conversation is about choosing between advanced physics courses or education courses for a junior and senior course load in preparation for grad school. The speaker is majoring in physics education and is unsure about the pros and cons of each option. They are also considering focusing on teaching rather than research and are seeking advice from others. They are also considering teaching at the community college level.
SpdOfLiteSqrd
Would you guys suggest taking more advanced courses in physics or education for a junior and senior course load to prepare for grad school when you're majoring in physics education post undergrad?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
What are the pros and cons that you've identified?
The truth be told I'm not sure how a second course in quantum mechanics or a third in electrodynamics will fir to my skill set when I want to teach at the intro level. Also debating just going for straight physics but really don't see myself adapting well the the grind of acquiring grants and doing research. I want to focus on how to best educate my students and guide other professors on how to do the same. At the same time, I see that experiencing a vast sum of our knowledge of the basic mechanics will help me guide students who want to be physicists better. My research is also education based and diving into psychology will push my resume as an instructor more in the kinds of 9th secondaries I'm looking at. But a part of me wants to give full fledged physics a chance but yeah, jobs are scarce, and astrophysics is the only way I see myself enjoying the lab and I don't have a lot of credits beyond intermediate stellar structure courses. Jzust a cluster **** of don't know what to specialize in. Advisor I'd giving good insight but I need other opinions. Bottom line, I love the classroom more than the lab. So that's where my conversation should start.

Do you think teaching at the community college level is still an option?

I would suggest taking a combination of both advanced physics courses and education courses in preparation for grad school in physics education. While having a strong foundation in physics is crucial for success in graduate studies, having a solid understanding of teaching methods and educational theories is also important for a career in physics education. By taking a mix of advanced physics courses and education courses, you will be well-equipped with both the content knowledge and pedagogical skills necessary for success in grad school and as a physics educator. Additionally, I would recommend seeking out research opportunities or internships in the field of physics education to gain practical experience and further enhance your skills.

1. What classes should I take to prepare for physics education grad school?

Some recommended classes to take include introductory physics, calculus, linear algebra, mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and quantum mechanics. It is also important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and computer science.

2. Is it necessary to have a specific undergraduate major to be accepted into physics education grad school?

No, it is not necessary to have a specific major. However, most successful applicants have a degree in physics, mathematics, or engineering. It is important to have a strong understanding of fundamental physics concepts and mathematical skills.

3. Are there any classes that are not required but helpful for physics education grad school?

Yes, some helpful classes to take include education courses, science communication, and research methods. These classes can help develop critical thinking, communication, and research skills that are important in graduate school and as a physics educator.

4. How can I best prepare for the physics subject GRE for grad school?

To prepare for the physics subject GRE, it is important to review fundamental physics concepts and practice solving problems. You can also find study guides and practice tests online or through test prep books. It may also be helpful to join a study group or work with a tutor.

5. Are there any other skills or experiences I should have to be a strong candidate for physics education grad school?

In addition to academic preparation, it is beneficial to have research experience, teaching experience, and involvement in extracurricular activities related to physics. This can demonstrate your passion for the subject and your ability to excel in graduate school and as a physics educator.