Finding Geometric Answers: Solving for n>7

• A
  • Thread starter mathman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometric
In summary: This is the minimum number of points on a circle in the given quadrant.In summary, The conversation discusses the problem of placing a circle on a 2-dimensional lattice so that a certain number of points are on its circumference. Solutions for n=7 and n=8 are given, and it is suggested that there may be solutions for higher values of n using symmetry and pythagorean triples. It is also mentioned that there is no upper limit on the number of lattice points on a circle, and an explicit formula for constructing circles with a specific number of lattice points is provided. Finally, the problem is restated as finding rational numbers a and b in the equation x^2+y^2=2ax+2by that will satisfy a
mathman
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
Place circle on lattice so that n points are on circumference.
In a book (1984) with an interview of Coxeter, an old geometry question was described. Place a circle on a (2-d) lattice so that n points of the lattice are on the circumference. The answer for n=7 was given. Center is ##(\frac{1}{3},0)## and radius is ##\frac{5^8}{3}##. Has it been solved for higher values of n since?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
n=8 should be obvious by symmetry. Center (0,0) through ##r^2 = 5##. It would pass through ##(\pm 2, \pm 1)## and ##(\pm 1, \pm 2)##.

If you insist on an integral radius, try center (0,0) radius 5, passing through ##(\pm 3,\pm 4)## and ##(\pm 4, \pm 3)##. Likewise with any other pythagorean triple. I believe there are some distinct (not reduced) pythagorean triples with common hypotenuses so I'm guessing there are some n=16 solutions.

(Will search and edit post...)

[Edit] Ah yes, with radius 25 centered at origin, you get (7,24) and (15,20) and their transposes and sign flips. A simple matter to search through and find more from composite c values.

Radius 5 also passes through (0,+-5) and (+-5,0), so we get 12 points. I think OP is looking for exactly n points. Exactly 12 is easy. Exactly 4 is trivial. Exactly 8 has an example. But for everything that's not a multiple of 4 you need to break the symmetry.

Common hypothenuses are easy to make. Multiply the first one by the hypotenuse of the second and vice versa.

Oops, @mfb, missed those obvious ones, also my n=16 example becomes n=20.

Yes, I agree, the hard problems are for specific n, not just "some bigger value of n". I think that by my scheme it's possible to prove no upper limit on how many by generating an ever increasing sequence using the formula for P-Trips.

Addendum: I was just thinking about how to tackle the general question. I would guess one would start with the fact that three non-linear points determine a circle uniquely, so characterize cases with triples of grid points then hit it with Galois Theory.

Yes, there is no upper limit.
Let a_n,b_n,c_n be N Pythagorean triples. Consider a circle centered at zero with radius C=prod(c_n). It passes through (0,C), (Ca_n/c_n,Cb_n/c_n) and all other symmetric points.

Edit: Obviously you want the N triples to be independent, otherwise the ratios a_n/c_n will be the same for different triples.

Last edited:
Circle Lattice Points
Schinzel's theorem shows that for every positive integer n, there exists a circle in the plane having exactly n lattice points on its circumference. The theorem also explicitly identifies such "Schinzel circles" as
##(x-\frac 1 2 )^2 + y^2 = \frac 1 4 5^{k-1}## for n=2k
##(x-\frac 1 3 )^2 + y^2 = \frac 1 9 5^{2k}## for n=2k+1
The answer is yes, and there is an explicit formula to construct circles for every n.

Interesting problem. Without losing generosity we can say (0, 0) is on the circle so its equation is
[tex](x-a)^2+(y-b)^2=a^2+b^2[/tex]
for the circle at least one lattice point is on it. Center of the circle in the 1st quadrant is enough so
[tex]a,b \geq 0[/tex]
Furhter its half
[tex]0 \leq b \leq a[/tex]
is enough for consideration.
[tex]x^2+y^2=2ax+2by[/tex]
We know a and b should be rational for more lattice points on the circle.
So the problem is restated: Tune rational numbers ## 0 \leq b \leq a## so that N integer (m,n) pairs satisfy the above equation.

Obviously say ##a=\frac{m}{2}##, lattice point (m,0) satisfies the condition. Say ##a=\frac{m}{2},b=\frac{n}{2}## (m,n) satisfies the condition so there are at least four points including (0,0) satisfy the condition.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of solving for n>7 in geometry?

Solving for n>7 in geometry allows us to find the value of a specific variable in a geometric equation or problem. This is important in order to accurately solve for and understand geometric concepts and equations.

2. How do you solve for n>7 in a geometric equation?

To solve for n>7 in a geometric equation, you must use algebraic techniques such as combining like terms, distributing, and isolating the variable on one side of the equation. It is also important to follow the order of operations and use any given information or formulas.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving for n>7 in geometry?

Some common mistakes when solving for n>7 in geometry include forgetting to follow the order of operations, incorrectly distributing or combining like terms, and not using all given information or formulas. It is important to double check your work and make sure all steps are accurate.

4. Can you solve for n>7 in any type of geometric problem?

Yes, you can solve for n>7 in any type of geometric problem as long as there is a variable present and the problem can be represented with an equation. This includes problems involving angles, shapes, and measurements.

5. How can solving for n>7 help in real-life situations?

Solving for n>7 in geometry can help in real-life situations such as calculating measurements for building or construction projects, determining angles for navigation or surveying, and understanding geometric concepts in fields such as engineering and architecture.