Classical block on inclined plane

In summary, the homework statement is that a block at t=0 is at the bottom of the plane and is projected up an inclined plane with initial speed v0. The plane's acute angle is θ above the horizontal, and the coefficient of friction is μ between the block and plane. Find the time (t) and velocity (v1) of the block when it reaches a given distance d.
cassinova

Homework Statement

A block at t=0 is at the bottom of the plane and is projected up an inclined plane with initial speed v0. The plane's acute angle is θ above the horizontal, and the coefficient of friction is μ between the block and plane.

Find the time (t) and velocity (v1) of the block when it reaches a given distance d.

Homework Equations

1. F=ma
2. d=(1/2)at^2 + v0t + d0
3. v1=at+v0

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a picture electronically:
BVTIW9D.jpg

I made the direction FN and v0 positive.

x dir
F = ma
F = -FμN - mgsinθ
ma = -μmgcosθ - mgsinθ
a = g(-μcosθ - sinθ)

So I found my a (should be a negative value), and now I want to find t when the block reaches d.

d = (1/2)(-at^2) +v0t +d0
0 = (1/2)(-at^2) +v0t + 0 - d

Problem: Acceleration and distance are negative so the roots are imaginary, but I need to find real roots of t and then plug it in v1=at+v0 (I think).

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you have -a in equation #2?

And why do you think that the roots are imaginary? They depend on d; if it is sufficiently small, roots will be real. This makes perfect sense physically, because there is some maximum distance that the block can travel at any initial velocity.

cassinova said:
Problem: Acceleration and distance are negative so the roots are imaginary, but I need to find real roots of t and then plug it in v1=at+v0 (I think).
That does not automatically make the roots imaginary. There will be real roots if v0 is nonzero and d is sufficiently small.

It's just that when I graph 0 = (1/2)(-at^2) +v0t + 0 - d, the entire curve is below the x-axis.

cassinova said:
It's just that when I graph 0 = (1/2)(-at^2) +v0t + 0 - d, the entire curve is below the x-axis.

Consider ## a = 2, \ v_0 = 5, \ d = 4 ##: is your statement true?

1. What is a classical block on an inclined plane?

A classical block on an inclined plane is a simple physics problem in which a block of mass m is placed on an inclined plane with an angle of inclination θ. The block is subjected to the force of gravity and the normal force from the plane, and the goal is to determine the motion of the block.

2. What are the forces acting on a classical block on an inclined plane?

The forces acting on a classical block on an inclined plane include the force of gravity, the normal force from the plane, and the force of friction (if the block is not frictionless). The force of gravity acts vertically downwards, the normal force acts perpendicular to the plane, and the force of friction acts parallel to the plane in the opposite direction of motion.

3. How do you calculate the acceleration of a classical block on an inclined plane?

The acceleration of a classical block on an inclined plane can be calculated using Newton's second law, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, the net force is the difference between the force of gravity and the force of friction. The acceleration can also be calculated using the principles of trigonometry.

4. What is the relationship between the angle of inclination and the motion of a classical block on an inclined plane?

The angle of inclination affects the motion of a classical block on an inclined plane in two ways. First, a steeper angle will result in a larger component of the force of gravity acting parallel to the plane, causing the block to accelerate faster. Second, a steeper angle will also result in a larger component of the normal force acting parallel to the plane, which will increase the force of friction and slow down the block.

5. How does the mass of the block affect its motion on an inclined plane?

The mass of the block affects its motion on an inclined plane in a similar way as the angle of inclination. A heavier block will experience a larger force of gravity and a larger normal force, resulting in a greater force of friction and slower motion. However, the mass does not affect the acceleration of the block, as stated by Newton's second law.