1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical block on inclined plane

1. Sep 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A block at t=0 is at the bottom of the plane and is projected up an inclined plane with initial speed v0. The plane's acute angle is θ above the horizontal, and the coefficient of friction is μ between the block and plane.

Find the time (t) and velocity (v1) of the block when it reaches a given distance d.

2. Relevant equations

1. F=ma
    2. d=(1/2)at^2 + v0t + d0
    3. v1=at+v0

3. The attempt at a solution

I drew a picture electronically:
    BVTIW9D.jpg

I made the direction FN and v0 positive.

x dir
    F = ma
    F = -FμN - mgsinθ
    ma = -μmgcosθ - mgsinθ
    a = g(-μcosθ - sinθ)

So I found my a (should be a negative value), and now I want to find t when the block reaches d.

d = (1/2)(-at^2) +v0t +d0
    0 = (1/2)(-at^2) +v0t + 0 - d

Problem: Acceleration and distance are negative so the roots are imaginary, but I need to find real roots of t and then plug it in v1=at+v0 (I think).

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2013 #2
    Why do you have -a in equation #2?

And why do you think that the roots are imaginary? They depend on d; if it is sufficiently small, roots will be real. This makes perfect sense physically, because there is some maximum distance that the block can travel at any initial velocity.

4. Sep 12, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That does not automatically make the roots imaginary. There will be real roots if v0 is nonzero and d is sufficiently small.

5. Sep 13, 2013 #4
    It's just that when I graph 0 = (1/2)(-at^2) +v0t + 0 - d, the entire curve is below the x-axis.

6. Sep 14, 2013 #5
    Consider ## a = 2, \ v_0 = 5, \ d = 4 ##: is your statement true?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted