Classical Explanation of Photoelectric Effect

In summary: Note that the frequency is not constant, but depends on the energy of the incoming wave. This is why the photoelectric effect can be observed only when light of a particular frequency is incident on the object.In summary, this person is wondering why the standard derivation of the photoelectric effect doesn't use quantization of the electromagnetic field, and Einstein's famous equation for the mean electron energy is given.
wilsonge
http://singlephoton.wikidot.com/single-photon-detection-experiment

I was browsing the web earlier, and noticed that the page above said that recently there was a semi-classical (wave) explanation of the photoelectric effect (End of 2nd-3rd Line). I was wondering how this was, as I can't seem to find any reference to it anywhere and was always taught this wasn't possible.

I thought I'd post here because I'm not sure whether this is genuine or whether this was one of these examples of never trusting a wiki site!

Thanks in Advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what he is referring to. One glaring error: Einstein's work on the photoelectric effect was published in 1905, and that was his Nobel Prize paper.

That's true. Ironically, this Nobel-prize winning paper is the only of Einstein's famous 1905 papers which is outdated today completely. The Nobel Commitee simply hasn't have the guts to give the prize to his really lasting achievements, i.e., general relativity or the statistical understanding of Brownian motion. The former is the fundamental (classical) theory of gravitation and has lead to a complete revision of our understanding of the fabric of spacetime and the latter has led to the proof of the existence of atoms and molecules as building blocks of matter and has been the breakthrough for kinetic theory proposed by Boltzmann and others, which is still today one of the most important subjects in physics (of course in its quantum many-body theoretical version). Contrary to that the old quantum theory by Planck, Einstein, and the young Bohr is obsolete with the discovery of modern quantum theory by Heisenberg, Born, Schrödinger, and Dirac in the mid 1920ies.

In fact you don't need QED to explain the photoelectric effect at all. The standard derivation is given in the lecture on quantum mechanics for electrons that are quasi-freely moving in the effective potential of the solid and irradiated with a classical electromagnetic wave, using time-dependent first-order perturbation theory. No quantization of the electromagnetic field is necessary to get Einstein's famous formula for the mean electron energy

[tex]E_{\text{el}}=\hbar \omega -E_{\text{binding}}.[/tex]

Here [itex]\omega[/itex] is the frequency of the incoming classical em. wave and [itex]E_{\text{binding}}[/itex] is the binding energy of the electron to the solid.

What is the classical explanation of the photoelectric effect?

The classical explanation of the photoelectric effect is a theory proposed by scientists in the late 19th century to explain the phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light. It states that light is a wave and the energy from the light is transferred to the electrons in the material, causing them to be emitted.

How does the classical explanation differ from the modern explanation of the photoelectric effect?

The classical explanation differs from the modern explanation in that it views light as a wave and explains the photoelectric effect in terms of this wave model. However, the modern explanation, proposed by Albert Einstein, states that light is made up of particles, known as photons, and the energy from these particles is what causes the electrons to be emitted.

What is the equation used in the classical explanation of the photoelectric effect?

The classical explanation uses the equation E = hν, where E is the energy of a photon, h is Planck's constant, and ν is the frequency of the light. This equation relates the energy of the light to the energy of the emitted electrons.

Why is the classical explanation of the photoelectric effect no longer accepted?

The classical explanation of the photoelectric effect is no longer accepted because it does not fully explain all of the observations and experimental data. It fails to explain the existence of a minimum energy, known as the threshold energy, needed to emit electrons, as well as the energy dependence on light intensity.

What is the significance of the classical explanation of the photoelectric effect?

The classical explanation of the photoelectric effect was an important step in understanding the nature of light and its interaction with matter. It also laid the foundation for the development of quantum mechanics and the modern explanation of the photoelectric effect by Albert Einstein.