Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Mechanics: An introductory course

1. Mar 9, 2008 #1
    A complete set of lecture notes for an lower-division classical mechanics course. Topics covered include one-dimensional motion, three-dimensional motion, Newton's laws of motion, energy and momentum conservation, circular and rotational motion, statics, planetary motion, oscillations, and wave motion.

by: Richard Fitzpatrick (University of Texas)

Attached Files:

• 301.pdf
      File size:
      1.6 MB
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2008 #2

you did a great job
  4. May 18, 2008 #3
    This book is great for me... I'm taking the AP Physics C Mechanics test, and it gives you a LOT of formulas that (if you can remember them) will allow you to sidestep long, complicated problem-solving strategies and just plug and chug. I'm using this along with The Princeton Review's book.
  5. May 26, 2008 #4
    Are these notes for a first semester course in mechanics or is it a sophomore level course?
  6. May 28, 2008 #5
    Excellent. Short and sweet, just how I like my notes.

Thanks goes out to Richard Fitzpatrick.
  7. May 28, 2008 #6
    It's a first semester course in mechanics. Great preparation for AP Physics C, or even for B if you wanna know the material more in-depth than necessary to have a boost up.
  8. May 29, 2008 #7
    OMG Thanks, this material is actually covered in my current first-semester Physics course.
  9. Jun 14, 2008 #8

Thank you very much for this excellent resource.
  10. Jun 14, 2008 #9
    Very nice introduction.
  11. Mar 20, 2009 #10
    thanks alot
  12. Apr 13, 2009 #11
    Good Material!
  13. Apr 13, 2009 #12
  14. Apr 4, 2010 #13
    I came across this while searching, this is a terrific resource.
  15. Nov 4, 2010 #14
    I am here to post a similar compilation of information, but for an introductory calculus based physics course in Newtonian Mechanics. I wish that this could be posted on the main Introductory Physics Learning Materials page, and I hope that if an administrator reads this, they will consider that.
    The following link contains a compilation of papers written by a former physics professor of mine. I post these now because I believe that he truly has an insightful way of presenting the topics of a introductory physics course. I think as a whole, the set of papers should be called "The Kapp Lectures on Physics", (of course playing on the very unique style of Richard Feynman in his "Feynman Lectures on Physics", which I find to be a similarly wonderful set of lectures... However I find the Kapp Lectures to be more accessible to the beginning student of physics.)
    After taking Professor George Kapp's course in physics, I was able to go to MIT's website, download all of the Physics 8.01 tests, and do very well on each of them. I find these Lectures to be truly great, and I hope that you will take some time to have a look at them.

To find the papers, follow the link, and under where it says "Additional Discussion on Selected Topics" is a list of the papers in .doc and .pdf format.

By the way, I hope that I am not breaking any rules in this post. I read all of the sticky's and tried to put this post in the right place.
    Thanks, and I hope this is helpful!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?