1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Mechanics: An introductory course

1. Mar 9, 2008 #1
    A complete set of lecture notes for an lower-division classical mechanics course. Topics covered include one-dimensional motion, three-dimensional motion, Newton's laws of motion, energy and momentum conservation, circular and rotational motion, statics, planetary motion, oscillations, and wave motion.

by: Richard Fitzpatrick (University of Texas)

Attached Files:

• 301.pdf
      301.pdf
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2008 #2
    Greg

you did a great job

4. May 18, 2008 #3
    This book is great for me... I'm taking the AP Physics C Mechanics test, and it gives you a LOT of formulas that (if you can remember them) will allow you to sidestep long, complicated problem-solving strategies and just plug and chug. I'm using this along with The Princeton Review's book.

5. May 26, 2008 #4
    Are these notes for a first semester course in mechanics or is it a sophomore level course?

6. May 28, 2008 #5
    Excellent. Short and sweet, just how I like my notes.

Thanks goes out to Richard Fitzpatrick.

7. May 28, 2008 #6
    It's a first semester course in mechanics. Great preparation for AP Physics C, or even for B if you wanna know the material more in-depth than necessary to have a boost up.

8. May 29, 2008 #7
    OMG Thanks, this material is actually covered in my current first-semester Physics course.

9. Jun 14, 2008 #8

LHC

Thank you very much for this excellent resource.

10. Jun 14, 2008 #9
    Very nice introduction.

11. Mar 20, 2009 #10
    thanks alot

12. Apr 13, 2009 #11
    Good Material!
    Thinks

13. Apr 13, 2009 #12
    Awesome!
    thanks!

14. Apr 4, 2010 #13
    I came across this while searching, this is a terrific resource.

15. Nov 4, 2010 #14
    Hello,
    I am here to post a similar compilation of information, but for an introductory calculus based physics course in Newtonian Mechanics. I wish that this could be posted on the main Introductory Physics Learning Materials page, and I hope that if an administrator reads this, they will consider that.
    The following link contains a compilation of papers written by a former physics professor of mine. I post these now because I believe that he truly has an insightful way of presenting the topics of a introductory physics course. I think as a whole, the set of papers should be called "The Kapp Lectures on Physics", (of course playing on the very unique style of Richard Feynman in his "Feynman Lectures on Physics", which I find to be a similarly wonderful set of lectures... However I find the Kapp Lectures to be more accessible to the beginning student of physics.)
    After taking Professor George Kapp's course in physics, I was able to go to MIT's website, download all of the Physics 8.01 tests, and do very well on each of them. I find these Lectures to be truly great, and I hope that you will take some time to have a look at them.

http://orchard.wccnet.org/~gkapp/

To find the papers, follow the link, and under where it says "Additional Discussion on Selected Topics" is a list of the papers in .doc and .pdf format.

By the way, I hope that I am not breaking any rules in this post. I read all of the sticky's and tried to put this post in the right place.
    Thanks, and I hope this is helpful!
    Alex

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook