Classical Mechanics Textbooks: A Must-Have for Physics Students

In summary, there are many free online resources available for studying classical mechanics and vibrations and waves. Some recommended references include books from universities such as Miami and UT Austin, as well as free pdf versions of textbooks. However, it is important to ensure the legality of these resources before using them. Additionally, it is suggested to take advantage of any available time, such as reading in the washroom, to continue studying and learning.
boringelectron
I'm sophomore in physics looking for best free books for classical mechanics and for vibrations and waves.

Anyone with references pleaseThank you

Likes bellesbarbara
Physics news on Phys.org
boringelectron said:
I'm sophomore in physics looking for best free books for classical mechanics and for vibrations and waves.

Anyone with references pleaseThank you
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/301/301.pdf
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/celestial/Celestial/Celestial.html
https://www.physics.upenn.edu/sites/www.physics.upenn.edu/files/Classical_Mechanics_a_Critical_Introduction_0.pdf
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/classical/texfiles/2005/book/classical.pdf

There are many more. But, for the level you are looking, probably you should start here
There is a zip file for course materials in that page (direct link), download it and unzip it. Go through the transcripts subfolder and it makes a great offline resource for learning Classical Mechanics.
Open start.html and it will provide you with links to download problem sets.
And if you prefer videos of the transcripts, here they are.

Lastly,look through this thread for many free books on many topics.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Likes Buffu
An Introduction To Mechanics by Kleppner, Kolenkow is a good book. I was recommended this book here, and later by some professors as well. Though I haven't read it in full, it's good.

Wrichik Basu said:
An Introduction To Mechanics by Kleppner, Kolenkow is a good book. I was recommended this book here, and later by some professors as well. Though I haven't read it in full, it's good.
OP is looking for free online books.

smodak said:
OP is looking for free online books.
I've got a free pdf version. That's why I recommended it.

Wrichik Basu said:
I've got a free pdf version. That's why I recommended it.
That can't be legal.

smodak said:
That can't be legal.
Yes, you're right. Just verified and deleted it. Actually a friend of mine had given it to me, so I never checked out copyright. I also have the hard copy, I kept the soft copy because I cannot always take the hard copy to all places, like washrooms :wideeyed:

Wrichik Basu said:
I also have the hard copy, I kept the soft copy because I cannot always take the hard copy to all places, like washrooms :wideeyed:
Yes, I wish publishers will give rights to the soft copy when a hard copy is purchased - even the DRM-ed ones.

Wrichik Basu said:
Yes, you're right. Just verified and deleted it. Actually a friend of mine had given it to me, so I never checked out copyright. I also have the hard copy, I kept the soft copy because I cannot always take the hard copy to all places, like washrooms :wideeyed:
I wonder what's the use of analytical-mechanics textbooks in washrooms ;-)...

Likes smodak
vanhees71 said:
Best time to read physics. Try it :)

Likes poseidon721, vanhees71 and Wrichik Basu
vanhees71 said:
When you have a huge amount of school syllabus to complete, but you still want to read out of passion, then you'll have to utilise every bit of time. :olduhh:

Likes poseidon721 and vanhees71

Related to Classical Mechanics Textbooks: A Must-Have for Physics Students

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of macroscopic objects and their interactions with each other, based on Newton's laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation.

2. What are some popular books on classical mechanics?

Some popular books on classical mechanics include "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor, "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin, and "Classical Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and George Hrabovsky.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong mathematical background to understand books on classical mechanics?

Yes, a strong understanding of calculus and linear algebra is necessary to fully grasp the concepts and equations presented in books on classical mechanics. However, there are also books available that provide a more intuitive and conceptual approach to the subject.

4. How can studying classical mechanics be useful?

Studying classical mechanics can be useful in understanding the fundamental principles of physics and how they apply to everyday objects and systems. It is also the basis for more advanced areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and relativity.

5. Are there any online resources or lectures available for learning classical mechanics?

Yes, there are many online resources and lectures available for learning classical mechanics, such as MIT OpenCourseWare and Khan Academy. Additionally, many universities offer online courses and lectures on classical mechanics.