Classical propagator for massive spin 1 particle

In summary, the classical propagator for a massive spin 1 particle can be calculated by inverting the equations of motion, resulting in the equation (-p^2+m^2)A_mu=J_mu. This can be solved by multiplying both sides by the inverse of the operator (-p^2+m^2), which is a second rank tensor. The correct solution for A_mu is thus given by the equation A_mu=(g_mu_nu+p_mu_nu/m^2)/(-p^2+m^2)J_nu.
kelly0303

Homework Statement

Calculate the classical propagator for a massive spin 1 particle by inverting the equations of motion to the form $$A_\mu=\Pi_{\mu\nu}J_\nu$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

By solving the lagrangian for a massive spin 1 particle one gets $$(\Box + m^2)A_\mu=J_\mu$$ I thought of going to momentum space, so this becomes $$(-p^2+m^2)A_\mu=J_\mu$$ So I need to invert this equation, which would give for the propagator $$\frac{1}{(-p^2+m^2)}$$ But this seems wrong as it doesn't look like a second rank tensor and I assume (based on W boson propagator) my answer should look something like $$\frac{g_{\mu\nu}+\frac{p_\mu p_\nu}{m^2}}{-p^2+m^2}$$. What am I doing wrong? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question regarding the calculation of the classical propagator for a massive spin 1 particle. Your approach is correct, but there is one important step missing in your calculation.

After going to momentum space, you correctly obtain the equation $$(-p^2+m^2)A_\mu=J_\mu$$ However, in order to solve for $A_\mu$, you need to invert this equation by multiplying both sides by the inverse of the operator $(-p^2+m^2)$. This operator is a second rank tensor, which can be written as $g_{\mu\nu}+\frac{p_\mu p_\nu}{m^2}$. Therefore, the correct solution for $A_\mu$ is given by $$A_\mu=\frac{g_{\mu\nu}+\frac{p_\mu p_\nu}{m^2}}{-p^2+m^2}J_\nu$$

I hope this helps clarify your confusion. Keep up the good work!

What is a classical propagator?

A classical propagator is a mathematical tool used in quantum field theory to describe the evolution of a particle from one point in space-time to another. It is a function that takes into account the mass and spin of a particle and can be used to calculate the probability amplitude of a particle propagating between two points.

What is a massive spin 1 particle?

A massive spin 1 particle is a type of elementary particle that has a spin of 1 and a non-zero rest mass. Examples of particles with these properties include the W and Z bosons, which are responsible for the weak nuclear force, and the photon, which is the carrier of the electromagnetic force.

What is the importance of the classical propagator for massive spin 1 particles?

The classical propagator for massive spin 1 particles is important because it allows us to calculate the probability amplitude for such particles to propagate between two points. This is crucial for understanding and predicting the behavior of these particles in various physical phenomena.

How is the classical propagator for massive spin 1 particles calculated?

The classical propagator for massive spin 1 particles can be calculated using Feynman diagrams, which are graphical representations of the mathematical equations describing the behavior of particles in quantum field theory. The propagator is calculated by summing over all possible paths that the particle can take between the two points.

What are some applications of the classical propagator for massive spin 1 particles?

The classical propagator for massive spin 1 particles has many applications in particle physics, including calculating cross sections for particle interactions and predicting decay rates. It is also used in the study of high-energy collisions, such as those that occur at particle accelerators like the Large Hadron Collider.