Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classification of Vector Bundles over Spheres

1. Apr 6, 2009 #1
    This is a question from Hirsch's Differential Topology book: show that there is a bijective correspondence between
    [tex]K^k(S^n) \leftrightarrow \pi_{n-1}(GL(k)) [/tex],
    where [tex]K^k(S^n) [/tex] denotes the isomorphism classes of rank k vector bundles over the sphere. The basic idea is that any vector bundle over the sphere has a trivializing cover consisting of two open sets diffeomorphic to [tex]\textbf{R}^n[/tex]. The transition function of such a cover restricts to a map from the equator [tex]S^{n-1} \rightarrow GL(k)[/tex]. Moreover, vector bundles with homotopic classifying maps are isomorphic. However, the reverse inclusion is eluding me. Why must two isomorphic bundles over the sphere have homotopic classifying maps?

I've seen a proof of this involving writing the Grassmanian as a fiber bundle of orthogonal groups, and using the exact homotopy sequence to conclude that [tex]\pi_n(G_{3k,k}) \cong \pi_{n-1}(GL(k)) [/tex], but since Hirsch never mentioned that, it strikes me that there must be an elementary way of seeing this. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted