Clausius clapeyron problem - i have spent 3 hours on this problem

In summary: OF THE COMPOUND, not the TOTAL MOLAR VOLUME OF ALL THREE METALS. so you would have gotten nRTi = P1Vi + P2Vi
rwooduk
spent 3 hours on this, getting nowhere

find the change in transition temperature, given: P1,P2,T1,ΔH,density (mixed so gives d1 of metal 1 and d2 of metal 2,atomic weight

Clasius-Clapeyron-Equation.gif

Tried solving for T1 then for ΔT simply saying ΔT = (T1 - T2) , but its clearly not correct and i haven't made use of the densities or the atomic number the question gives.

So then i approximated the problem fromt he original clausius clapeyron eqn to

ΔP/ΔT = ΔH / (TΔV)

but then to find ΔT, which i assume is the change in transition temperature, i need ΔV

so i did density = m/v , PiVi = nRTi to give density = PM / RTi where M is the molar volume

but the density would change with the pressure, so how am i supposed to use the initial density, and there's two densities not one for the compound??

I guess what I'm asking is how do i find ΔV given the above data? why have i been given the two densities of the compound when the densities are going to change with pressure?

Ive spent 3 hours on this question, looked for similar examples on the internet, there are NONE. General questions ask for T2 or P2, none ask for the change in transition temperature.

Please help, erghhhhh, i better get on with my maths now

Physics news on Phys.org
You used the ideal gas law, but metal solids don't obey the ideal gas law. That's why you were given the densities. The density is the inverse of the specific volume, and, for metal, the density has negligible change with temperature and pressure (at least as far as your application is concerned).

Likes 1 person
i see, thanks for the reply, i understand density = 1 / volume per unit mass, but i still need to find the change in volume (however small) somehow from the 2 densities.

rwooduk said:
i see, thanks for the reply, i understand density = 1 / volume per unit mass, but i still need to find the change in volume (however small) somehow from the 2 densities.

So what are the two densities? Why can't you do it?

hi, because the volume before would not be the same as the volume after, even though there is a negligable change in volume i need that change to give me delta V, in order to plug it into the clausius clapeyron eqn to give delta t.

and what do i do with the two densities, take an average of the two?

and why has it given the atomic weight?

Last edited:
just to update this, the question wanted the MOLAR VOLUME

1. What is the Clausius-Clapeyron problem?

The Clausius-Clapeyron problem is a thermodynamics problem that relates to the properties of a substance undergoing a phase change, such as from liquid to gas. It involves using the Clausius-Clapeyron equation to calculate the change in pressure with respect to temperature during a phase transition.

2. Why is the Clausius-Clapeyron problem important?

The Clausius-Clapeyron problem is important because it allows us to understand and predict how substances will behave during phase changes. This is crucial in many fields, such as engineering and environmental science, where phase changes can have significant impacts on systems and processes.

3. How do you approach solving the Clausius-Clapeyron problem?

To solve the Clausius-Clapeyron problem, you need to use the Clausius-Clapeyron equation, which relates the change in pressure with respect to temperature during a phase transition. You will also need to know the heat of vaporization or fusion for the substance in question, as well as the initial and final temperatures and pressures.

4. What are some common challenges when solving the Clausius-Clapeyron problem?

Some common challenges when solving the Clausius-Clapeyron problem include finding accurate values for the heat of vaporization or fusion, as these can vary depending on factors such as pressure and impurities. Another challenge may be accurately measuring or determining the initial and final temperatures and pressures.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Clausius-Clapeyron problem?

Yes, the Clausius-Clapeyron problem has many real-world applications. For example, it can be used to predict the behavior of substances during phase changes in industrial processes, such as distillation or refrigeration. It is also important in meteorology, as it helps us understand and predict changes in the atmosphere, such as the formation of clouds and precipitation.