1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clay falling onto a pan attached to a vertical spring

1. Feb 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"A spring is hung from the ceiling. A pan of mass 100.0 g is attached to the end, which causes it to stretch 5.00 cm. Find the maximum distance the pan moves downward when a lump of clay of mass 120.0 g is dropped from a height of 40.0 cm onto the pan."

The correct answer, according to my teacher is 0.233 meters.

2. Relevant equations

Conservation of momentum, perfectly inelastic collision.

m1v1i + m2v2i = (m1 + m2)vf

Conservation of mechanical energy.

MEi = MEf

PEg = mgh
    PEe = 1/2 kx^2
    KE = 1/2 mv^2

Work kinetic energy theorem.

Fnet d cosθ = 1/2 m (vf^2 - vi^2)

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried a perfectly inelastic conservation of momentum + work-KE theorem approach.

m(ball)v0 + 0 = M(combined)v(final)

Fnet d cos(θ) = 1/2 M(vf^2 - vi^2)

where Fnet was the average spring force minus gravity, F = [k(0.05) + k(x)] / 2 - M(combined)g

d was (x+0.05)

and vf = 0, vi = root(2gh)

UPDATE:

OK so I tried conservation of mechanical energy after the collision to no avail. I did:

1/2 (.22kg) (1.53 m/s)^2 + (.22 kg)(9.81) x = 1/2 (19.62 N/m) (x+0.05)^2

Solving for x I got x = 0.225 m.

I still can't get x = 0.233m. I'm sure it's not a rounding error of some sort. What am I missing?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Mechanical energy is not conserved during the collision, so that won't work.

So far so good.

You forgot about gravity.

Hint: After the collision, mechanical energy is conserved.

4. Feb 4, 2013 #3
    Actually I forgot to include gravity in my attempted solution post, but I did include it in my actual calculations already and I still got the wrong answer. : / But Fnet was the average spring force and gravity.

Thanks for pointing out that mechanical energy is not conserved during the collision. Obviously I should have seen that with it being perfectly inelastic.

Trying conservation of mechanical energy after the collision.

EDIT: OK so I tried conservation of mechanical energy after the collision to no avail. I did:

1/2 (.22kg) (1.53 m/s)^2 + (.22 kg)(9.81) x = 1/2 (19.62 N/m) (x+0.05)^2

Solving for x I got x = 0.225 m.

I still can't get x = 0.233m. I'm sure it's not a rounding error of some sort. What am I missing?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  5. Feb 4, 2013 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The left side of your equation is incomplete. You forgot the spring potential energy.

6. Feb 4, 2013 #5
    Derp...Ty!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook