Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Clench your teeth against Sandy , USAns!

1. Oct 29, 2012 #1

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Clench your teeth against "Sandy", USAns!

Knowing all about bad weather, I advise you to have your skis ready, in order to get to work. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

4. Oct 29, 2012 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

5. Oct 29, 2012 #4

Evo

Re: Clench your teeth against "Sandy", USAns!

It appears Sandy may be another case of media overhype. If they would just be realistic. It's a strong storm, it will cause some wind damage and isolated flooding, but it's nowhere near what they made it out to be. It's always good to be prepared, but when the media goes crazy like this, the major damage is from the large number of people that will feel that they were lied to by the media and decide to ignore the next warning, which might be real.

I was watching interviews earlier of people in New York City that said they felt mislead last year about TS Irene, so chose to ignore the warnings. And, for NYC, they're not getting hit, again.

I know what this feels like, I lived in Houston, TX for 27 years.

6. Oct 29, 2012 #5

Obama seems to be mastermind behind all of this :devil: I don't mean he created the Sandy but just that he might have advantage by making Sandy a media overhype.

7. Oct 29, 2012 #6

Evo

I would think it would hurt him, as he's strong in the NE.

Let's not go off topic.

8. Oct 29, 2012 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It's a question of balance between the virtue of caution and the vice of hysteria, isn't it?

9. Oct 29, 2012 #8

Evo

Yes, and the media blew up a weak hurricane into some mega killer storm of never before seen proportions and devastation. The over-reaction is reported have caused billions in financial losses due to needless business and airline shutdowns. Probably the billions in losses is also an exaggeration.

10. Oct 29, 2012 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

In Norway, we have the concept that the media is the Fourth Power of the State.
    Not as a juridically recognized category (along with the executive, legislative and judiciary Powers), but as an unfortunate aspect of reality.
    It is troubling that mere profitmakers can have the impact on so many lives, without any viable, existing process of how to hold them accountable for professional misdemeanors.

11. Oct 29, 2012 #10

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes. The media hype just about any story in order to keep the audience. Then again it's not hype if one's home is flooded, or has a tree come down on it.

The government expresses caution.

In our area, Irene cause a substantial amount of damage. If more folks had been out and about, we likely would have had more fatalities. Since the path has uncertainty at any given time, the warnings/caution are given to a wide area - and people are expected to exercise caution. Then again, there are plenty of people who put themselves in harm's way, and then expect others to risk their safety to rescue them.

I'm listening to a roaring wind outside. I would not want to be on a road with other drivers at the moment.

12. Oct 29, 2012 #11

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I think Obama's official statement was characterized by rational caution and admirable clarity.
    He said that those whose LOCAL officials told them to evacuate should do so (rather than some panicky general evacuation idea or reality-denying "it can't happen here").
    Furthermore, he calmly observed that ratgher than the storm itself, the more longterm effects would be possible local power shortages, thus preparing people for that eventuality.
    And lastly, prior to any actual question about it, he dismissed the relevance the storm "might" have on the election, by saying the "election takes care of itself".

"Sandy" is not an issue by which a statesman is recognized or shaped, unless he bungles it thoroughly.
    Obama responded in the rational manner we should hope ALL politicians, regardless of personal ideologies ought to respond.

13. Oct 29, 2012 #12

Evo

Well, that's to be expected from a cat 1 hurricane, but it's still only a cat 1 hurricane. As I said yesterday, the most flooding damage in Houston came from a small tropical storm that stalled over the city. Sandy isn't the mega killer storm of the century, it's a normal small hurricane. Of course I grew up with hurricanes, and since 1993 I have lived in the worst, most damaging super cell storms, most people can't even imagine. When I moved here, most of the area was under water from the horrendous midwest flood of 1993. Of course, I am the freak storm magnet. :redface:

I'm glad that Sandy turned out to not be the devastating storm they were hyping. Hopefully there won't be too much flooding from the storm surge for those on the shore.

14. Oct 29, 2012 #13

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

If there is SOME positive effect of this media hype to be found, it is, I hope, that people have erred on the side of caution, so that loss of lives and physical injuries are avoided, although economy suffers a greater loss than a more rational approach would entail.
    Profits can be regained, in contrast to lives.

15. Oct 30, 2012 #14
  16. Oct 30, 2012 #15
  17. Oct 30, 2012 #16

Early estimates project $20 billion in damage:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-29/hurricane-sandy-threatens-20-billion-in-u-s-economic-damage.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  18. Oct 30, 2012 #17

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Which is a LOT less than was caused by Katrina.

But it doesn't seem surprising to me that New York will holler louder than New Orleans.

19. Oct 30, 2012 #18

I guess it needs some digging to substantiate points, but I think that Evo may have a point. At no point have I seen ever wind speeds exceeding 40 mph on the wind map, but I guess that there should be plenty of sources which could give the max wind speed over land. But it was not the wind but the water/flooding that appeared to have done just about all the damage, wasn't it?. Excessive precipitation combined with high tides due to the wind?

20. Oct 30, 2012 #19

russ_watters

Max wind in my area was 36mph sustained, 58mph gusts at 10:00 last night: http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KPTW.html

It was the wind that did all of the damage here. No flooding to speak of in suburban Philly. At the shore, where there are fewer trees, it would have been all flooding.

21. Oct 30, 2012 #20

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

http://news.yahoo.com/sandys-death-toll-climbs-millions-without-power-155442547--finance.html

CNN News and others report only 33 deaths.

http://news.yahoo.com/state-state-look-east-coast-superstorm-111025193.html

Hundreds of homes in NY and NJ are destroyed - either by fire or flood. Many NY City neighborhoods and towns may be without power for days or weeks.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/sandys-wake-grim-reality-residents-ferry-nj/story?id=17601647

http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/hurricane-sandy-jersey-beach-town-water-17602176

Two boys killed when a tree fell through the home where they were staying. The home is probably 120+ miles (200+ km) from the center of Sandy last night, and only about ~30 miles (48 km) from us.
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/superstorm-sandy-deaths-ny-boys-killed-downed-tree/story?id=17600355

Stories of those who experienced the storm
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout...onster-residents-stories-storm-203210634.html

The storm system is still moving through PA and NY.
    It looks like the center is near Dubois, PA on its way to Rochester and Geneva, NY.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook