Clinton-Obama '08: Possible Historic Ticket?

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, Obama is considering a run for President in 2008, and he is openly discussing possible military action against Iran if they refuse to cooperate with international pressure. He is likable, but opinions of Clinton would dominate the ticket. I'm not sure he is ready for the Presidency, but he is a good candidate nonetheless.
cronxeh said:
300 million people and these 2 are the best candidates we can come up with?
Pretty lame, ain't it? Either one is a guaranteed loser in a general election.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hillary's lead in the polls this early is actually, I think, a sign that she probably won't get elected. Given all the attention on Obama as well, I wouldn't be surprised if a third candidate just pops up last minute and barely establishes himself in time to sweep the election (I say him because - let's face it, white male).

A storm in a tea cup is also the party line being touted by Hillary Clinton's campaign in the light of two new critical books about the presidential candidate. "The Hillary Clinton who emerges from the pages of the books comes across as a complicated, sometimes compromised figure," writes the Washington Post. The books by former Post writer Carl Bernstein and NYT writers, Jeff Gerth and Don Van Natta Jr., will have more punch than the myriad accusations leveled against Clinton over the years because "they come from long-established writers backed by major publishing houses," says the WPost. "The news here is that it took three reporters nearly a decade to find no news," says Clinton spokesman Howard Wolfson.
from http://time-blog.com/theag/
Opportunity knocks.

Books Paint Critical Portraits of Clinton

I heard today that H Clinton wants the Pentagon/DOD to start looking at Global Warming as a national security issue. Now, we already have the Dept. of Commerce (NOAA), NASA, and Department of Energy looking at GW - but why do we need the DOD to study it?

Astronuc said:
I heard today that H Clinton wants the Pentagon/DOD to start looking at Global Warming as a national security issue. Now, we already have the Dept. of Commerce (NOAA), NASA, and Department of Energy looking at GW - but why do we need the DOD to study it?
So she can be a War President, like Bush? "The War on Warming!"

Democrats will nominate Hillary Clinton for president in 2008 and Barack Obama will be her running mate, former Republican House Speaker Newt Gingrich predicts [continued]
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2007/07/30/gingrich_weighs_in_on_campaign_calls/

Here is an interesting comment from Robert Novak [known to some as the greatest mind of the 14th century]
NOVAK: Republicans are very pessimistic about 2008. When you talk to them off the record, they don't see how they can win this thing. And then they think for a minute, and only the Democratic Party, with everything in their favor, would say that, "OK, this is the year either to have a woman or an African-American to break precedent, to do things the country has never done before." And it gives the Republicans hope.[continued]
http://mediamatters.org/items/200707150002

Last edited:
Astronuc said:

This came up before in Earth Sciences

February 9, 2004
...The result is an unclassified report, completed late last year, that the Pentagon has agreed to share with FORTUNE. It doesn't pretend to be a forecast. Rather, it sketches a dramatic but plausible scenario to help planners think about coping strategies. Here is an abridged version: [continued]
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2004/02/09/360120/index.htm

I didn't spot the .gov or .mil version but it all seems to be legit.
http://www.climate.org/PDF/clim_change_scenario.pdf

So it seems that the DOD is already involved. And of course the motiviation is clear: GCC is potentially a matter of national security, so it is the job of the DOD to evaluate these concerns.

Last edited by a moderator:
cronxeh said:
300 million people and these 2 are the best candidates we can come up with?

Write in cronxeh! :rofl:

That'll teach him for being a wise guy. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
So it seems that the DOD is already involved. And of course the motiviation is clear: GCC is potentially a matter of national security, so it is the job of the DOD to evaluate these concerns.
I was thinking in terms of a redundant program. All administration departments have their particular responsibilities, but hopefully there is cooperation on common or related concerns.

If NASA/DOE are doing similar (and separate independent) studies, then hopefully DOD, Commerce, State and others simply take what NASA/DOE do and try to understand in the context relevant to their responsibilities.

Is it too much to ask for an efficient/functional government rather than a dysfunctional one? :uhh:

OK - may be it is.

I heard an interesting comparison this morning. Obama has an in on Wall Street and with academia. So he could be in the same position as Gary Hart, or Paul Tsongas, but with a stong pull for the black vote, which could change everything.

Astronuc said:
Is it too much to ask for an efficient/functional government rather than a dysfunctional one? :uhh:

But you are forgetting the first rule in government spending: Why build [or have] one when you can build two for twice the price?

Source that quote anyone...?

Astronuc said:
It has to be either Clinton or Obama - but both in the #1 and #2 slots?

I saw this headline - In Illinois, Obama Proved Pragmatic and Shrewd - and all I could think was "What does that really mean?" :rolleyes:

Here is the part that I really like
There was something improbable about the new guy from Chicago via Honolulu and Jakarta, Indonesia, the one with the Harvard law degree and the job teaching constitutional law...

With the field narrowing I am getting a sense of how this is going, and much to my surprise, I now think that Hillary is going to be the next President.

I don't think she will pick Obama as VP for reasons that Turbo has already mentioned.

Ivan Seeking said:
But you are forgetting the first rule in government spending: Why build [or have] one when you can build two for twice the price?

Source that quote anyone...?

I didn't read the book, but i remember that was said by the eccentric billionaire in Contact.

I think this will be the ticket after all.

Clinton-Obama beats McCain-[tbd]

I don't see how it can go any other way.