Time Change in US: When Do Clocks Go Back in Illinois?

In summary, the United States (specifically Illinois) changes their clocks back on November 4, 2007 at 0200. This is a week later than the UK, due to a recent change in the duration of daylight savings time in the US. However, not all states in the US observe daylight savings time, such as Arizona. Some places in the Southern hemisphere, such as New Zealand, also change their clocks during this time of year, which can be confusing for those who live near the borders of different time zones.
cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Does anyone know when the clocks go back in the United States (specifically Illinois, if that make a difference). Here in the UK, we put them back in about an hour, but it suddenly dawned on me that you lot may not do the same as us! (I presume you do put the clocks back?!)

Physics news on Phys.org
Nov 4, 2007 - next Sunday - at 0200.

Astronuc said:
Nov 4, 2007 - next Sunday - at 0200.

Ahh, ok. Cheers, Astro!

I'm not looking forward to it, because we use older Win2K OS's well as XP. Actually, XP SP2 was more of a pain in the a$$ to deal with - the adjustments that we supposed to work smoothly - didn't.

Anyway, I get a new box next week as my main office PC is in its death throws with a failing motherboard or RAM chipset. I think the HD's are still OK, but the OS is currently unstable. :grumpy:

We USED to switch this weekend, but some folks in Congress seemed to think we didn't need that extra hour of sleep yet. :grumpy:

Moonbear said:
We USED to switch this weekend, but some folks in Congress seemed to think we didn't need that extra hour of sleep yet. :grumpy:

Hey, at least it's only one week. I presume you put your clocks forward a week after we did too!

Edit: Hey, PF is clever.. it just changed the time back for me!

cristo said:
Hey, at least it's only one week. I presume you put your clocks forward a week after we did too!

Edit: Hey, PF is clever.. it just changed the time back for me!

Nope, we put them forward way before you did. They extended the entire duration of daylight savings time at both ends this year. :grumpy: I've already been waking up an hour later though...my body is ready for the time to change and doesn't care what the clock says.

Damn! Its 4:16 or something which makes it 3:16 now. Theres not much point in me having an extra hour of sleep being up at this time. :cry:

Clocks changed a few hours ago here (uk). Its 3:35 (4:35) here now. Either way i should not be up...

Not all the US has daylight savings time. Some places do not move their clocks back at all, while others do.

For the U.S. and its territories, Daylight Saving Time is NOT observed in Hawaii, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, the Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands, and Arizona . The Navajo Nation participates in the Daylight Saving Time policy, even in Arizona, due to its large size and location in three states.

I used to live in Arizona. I had no idea the Navajo followed daylight savings. How confusing must that have been?

Huckleberry said:
Not all the US has daylight savings time. Some places do not move their clocks back at all, while others do.

I used to live in Arizona. I had no idea the Navajo followed daylight savings. How confusing must that have been?

I'm from AZ. No clock changing here!

Clocks here (New Zealand) were set back nearly a month ago now. South Africa doesn't put their clocks back... its so confusing... :eek:

I was in the lab today one hour longer since all the machines changed the clocks one hour backwards. Canada is also changing its clock on Nov 4 now (at least in Toronto)

rhuthwaite said:
Clocks here (New Zealand) were set back nearly a month ago now. South Africa doesn't put their clocks back... its so confusing... :eek:

You set the clocks back this time of year too? Isn't that a bit counterintuitive considering you're in the Southern hemisphere? Shouldn't you folks be switching your clocks the other way now? :confused:

Huckleberry said:

You have no idea... The Hopis that have their nation in the middle of the Navajo Nation follow Arizona time so in the course of an hour (driving from the North) one can go from Daylight Time to Standard Time to Daylight Time to Standard Time.

1. When do clocks go back in Illinois?

The clocks in Illinois will go back one hour on the first Sunday in November, at 2:00 am.

2. Why do we have daylight saving time?

Daylight saving time was originally implemented to save energy and make better use of daylight. It was also thought to help farmers and reduce traffic accidents.

3. How does daylight saving time affect our sleep?

When the clocks go back, we gain an hour of sleep. However, in the spring when the clocks go forward, we lose an hour of sleep. This can cause disruptions to our sleep patterns and may take a few days to adjust.

4. Do all states in the US participate in daylight saving time?

No, not all states in the US participate in daylight saving time. Arizona and Hawaii do not observe daylight saving time, and some areas within states may also choose not to participate.

5. Is daylight saving time permanent or does it change every year?

Daylight saving time is not permanent and changes every year. The dates for when the clocks go back and forward are determined by the US government and can vary from year to year.