PF Rants & Opinions: Debate on Closing Posts Too Quickly

• Thread starter pragmaticindulgence
  • Start date
In summary, there has been a debate on whether posts on PF Rants & Opinions should be closed too quickly. Some argue that posts should remain open for longer periods of time to allow for more discussion and diverse opinions, while others believe that closing posts quickly helps maintain a focused and civil discussion. Ultimately, the decision to close posts quickly or not remains a contentious issue among members of the PF community.
pragmaticindulgence
PF needs a forum for Rants and Opinions, if they had one I would have to say that a person that post a topic and someone deems it should be a closed subject, they also shouldn't allow more comments from the mentors that ask a question of the poster when they know it is now impossible to respond, the topic I speak of is at https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94762
to his question, I say again, that those so opposed to the possibility of zero point energy are the ones who should put up or refrain from being so adament against the possibility.
Also I feel that this post was closed to damn quick, considering that it was in skeptisysm and debunking, they didn't allow for any debate that might have grown from it.
They need a new rule that allows all pertinate topics to remain up for a minimum of atleast 24 hours before closing, I believe mine was closed within an hour.

Physics news on Phys.org
I closed the thread because it offered nothing of substance to discuss.

Overly speculative post?
Isn't that what this section is purported to be for?
You can talk about ufos, ghost, and a myriad of other speculative subjects, but OU seems to be verbolten
To Ivan
You didn't see any reason to keep it open because you believed that it really wouldn't ad something to the general interrest?, personally I think your short sighted, and overreaching your ability of esp of others who may have a response to it.

pragmaticindulgence said:
Overly speculative post?
Isn't that what this section is purported to be for?
You can talk about ufos, ghost, and a myriad of other speculative subjects, but OU seems to be verbolten

I don't read that section very much, but I am under the impression that those "fringe" topics are based on things that people actually observed, but lack a proper explanation. Your thread doesn't line up with that. It seems perfectly clear to me that your idea is "Independent Research" material.

Since you weren't sent an invitation to submit to that Forum, I will do it now.

Dear PF member,

Your thread has been locked because it contains opinions that are contrary to those currently held by the scientific community. This is against the Posting Guidelines of Physics Forums. If you would like to discuss your ideas, we invite you to submit a post to the Independent Research Forum, subject to the applicable guidelines, found https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=82301.

We appreciate your cooperation, and hope you enjoy the Forums.

The Staff of Physics Forums

I hope that solves the problem.

If you don't read that type of material, your not in the majority here, and that negates your shallow opinion, and with your perspective to this forum,
Being a skeptic is fine and dandy but to ridicule when you don't even believe in the improbable but possible shows that you would not work well with others in a discussion group.
I might be wrong in the understanding of my theory, but it is not any more improbable than time travel, then again, your probably against any theoriums from the past on this topic as well.
By the way my first post was to pose the question, that if so many rebuke over unity, why is it that they can't stand behind their assertions with a bet, Please let us not be thought nazis on each other, philosophy has its place in these post.

Get this through your head: The Staff sets the Guidelines here, and your complaining is not going to overturn them. You can either abide by them, or you can leave. Pick one.

Also, as Tom stated, Skepticism and Debunking is for discussing fringe evidence and observations, and claims of personal experiences. It is not a place for pseudoscience.

Related to PF Rants & Opinions: Debate on Closing Posts Too Quickly

1. What is the purpose of the "PF Rants & Opinions" section on the debate forum?

The "PF Rants & Opinions" section on the debate forum is meant to provide a space for users to share their personal thoughts, opinions, and rants on various topics related to public forum debate. It is a place for open discussion and allows for a range of perspectives to be heard.

2. Why is there a debate on closing posts too quickly in the "PF Rants & Opinions" section?

There has been a debate on closing posts too quickly in the "PF Rants & Opinions" section because some users feel that their posts are being closed without sufficient reason or explanation. This has led to discussions on whether the moderation of this section should be more lenient or if stricter guidelines should be in place.

3. What are the potential consequences of closing posts too quickly in the "PF Rants & Opinions" section?

The potential consequences of closing posts too quickly in the "PF Rants & Opinions" section include limiting the free expression of ideas and opinions, creating a sense of censorship, and hindering the open and diverse discussion that the section aims to promote. It can also lead to frustration and dissatisfaction among users.

4. How can the issue of closing posts too quickly in the "PF Rants & Opinions" section be addressed?

The issue of closing posts too quickly in the "PF Rants & Opinions" section can be addressed by having a clear and transparent moderation policy that outlines the reasons for closing posts. It can also help to have a designated moderator for this section who can actively engage with users and provide timely explanations for post closures.

5. What can users do to ensure their posts are not closed too quickly in the "PF Rants & Opinions" section?

To ensure their posts are not closed too quickly in the "PF Rants & Opinions" section, users can carefully review the forum guidelines and make sure their posts do not violate any rules. They can also engage in respectful and constructive discussions, avoiding personal attacks or offensive language. If a post is closed, users can reach out to the moderators for clarification and potential appeal.