Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closed forums

1. Oct 15, 2005 #1
    PF needs a forum for Rants and Opinions, if they had one I would have to say that a person that post a topic and someone deems it should be a closed subject, they also shouldn't allow more comments from the mentors that ask a question of the poster when they know it is now impossible to respond, the topic I speak of is at https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94762
    to his question, I say again, that those so opposed to the possibility of zero point energy are the ones who should put up or refrain from being so adament against the possibility.
    Also I feel that this post was closed to damn quick, considering that it was in skeptisysm and debunking, they didn't allow for any debate that might have grown from it.
    They need a new rule that allows all pertinate topics to remain up for a minimum of atleast 24 hours before closing, I believe mine was closed within an hour.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2005 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Oct 15, 2005 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I closed the thread because it offered nothing of substance to discuss.

5. Oct 15, 2005 #4
    Overly speculative post?
    Isn't that what this section is purported to be for?
    You can talk about ufos, ghost, and a myriad of other speculative subjects, but OU seems to be verbolten
    To Ivan
    You didn't see any reason to keep it open because you believed that it really wouldn't ad something to the general interrest?, personally I think your short sighted, and overreaching your ability of esp of others who may have a response to it.

6. Oct 15, 2005 #5

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't read that section very much, but I am under the impression that those "fringe" topics are based on things that people actually observed, but lack a proper explanation. Your thread doesn't line up with that. It seems perfectly clear to me that your idea is "Independent Research" material.

Since you weren't sent an invitation to submit to that Forum, I will do it now.

I hope that solves the problem.

7. Oct 15, 2005 #6
    If you don't read that type of material, your not in the majority here, and that negates your shallow opinion, and with your perspective to this forum,
    Being a skeptic is fine and dandy but to ridicule when you don't even believe in the improbable but possible shows that you would not work well with others in a discussion group.
    I might be wrong in the understanding of my theory, but it is not any more improbable than time travel, then again, your probably against any theoriums from the past on this topic as well.
    By the way my first post was to pose the question, that if so many rebuke over unity, why is it that they can't stand behind their assertions with a bet, Please let us not be thought nazis on each other, philosophy has its place in these post.

8. Oct 15, 2005 #7

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Get this through your head: The Staff sets the Guidelines here, and your complaining is not going to overturn them. You can either abide by them, or you can leave. Pick one.

9. Oct 15, 2005 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Also, as Tom stated, Skepticism and Debunking is for discussing fringe evidence and observations, and claims of personal experiences. It is not a place for pseudoscience.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?