Clueless about electric charges questions;

In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling with understanding electric field concepts and formulas. They ask questions about finding total charge, electric field at a certain point, flux, and volume charge density. The expert shares formulas and explains that the person should use different formulas for different scenarios, such as a finite line of charge.
Matt Jacques
Oh boy, for some reason I'm just not getting this. I must be fouling up some really simple part. He just dives into problems without explaining the derivations and uses of the problems. Forgive my lack of knowledge on use of units.

My questions:

"A uniform line charge extends from x = -2.5 to x = 2.5 and charge density of 6.0 nC/m. a ) find the total charge

Ok, that's easy. That's just Q = 6.0 nC/m * .05 m = .3 * 10^-9

B) Find the electric field at 4.0 cm

The examples infer I should use:

E = kQ / (xp^2 - (1/2L)^2) where xp = (1/2)L

Is that the right formula?

Next question:

A 2 micro-coulomb charge is .2 m above the center of a square of sides .4 m. Find the flux through the square.

I found the electric field at the square with:

E = kQ/ r^2

E = (9*10^9)(2*10^-6) / (.2^2)
E = 450,000

Flux = E*A
Flux = (450,000)(.4^2) = 72,000

However, the book says 37700 ...

Next...

"The electric field at 250 m is 150 n/C and at 400 m it is 170 N/C. Calculate the volume charge density"

I'm just clueless here.

Any help is appreciated. I'll be back for more help soon :(

Physics news on Phys.org
no one has a clue?

Ya for Pro1

For Finite Line of Charge use the formulae

[tex]E_{n}=\frac{\lambda}{4\pi \epsilon_{0} x}(\sin\alpha+sin\beta)[/tex]

Similarly for
[tex]E_{t}=\frac{\lambda}{4\pi \epsilon_{0} x}(\cos\alpha+cos\beta)[/tex]

where alpha & beta are the angles which the point makes with the line perpendicular to the line of charge and the line joing the top point of Charge & bottom point of line charge

Last edited:

What are electric charges?

Electric charges are a fundamental property of matter that results in the attraction or repulsion between particles. These charges can be positive or negative, and their magnitude determines the strength of the force between two charged objects.

What is the difference between positive and negative charges?

Positive charges are caused by an excess of protons in an atom, while negative charges are caused by an excess of electrons. These charges are attracted to each other, while like charges repel each other.

How are electric charges created?

Electric charges are created by the movement of electrons. This can occur through friction, contact, or induction. When an object gains or loses electrons, it becomes charged.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is an invisible force field created by charged particles. This field can exert a force on other charged particles, causing them to move in a certain direction.

How do electric charges interact with each other?

Electric charges interact through the electromagnetic force. Opposite charges attract each other, while like charges repel each other. This force is responsible for all electric and magnetic phenomena.