CO2 Absorption with Amines: Demo for Students

• Thread starter mishima
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Absorption
In summary, the conversation discusses a student's interest in constructing a demonstration using amines to capture and release CO2. The specific type of amine needed for the demonstration and the practicality of delivering an electric shock to the liquid amine are questioned. It is mentioned that ethanolamine is commonly used for CO2 scrubbing and heating may be a viable method for releasing the CO2. There is also mention of limited supplies and apparatus availability.
mishima
Hi, I have a student curious about amines absorbing CO2. He would like to construct a small demonstration capable of capturing CO2 with amines. He has also heard that electric shock is able to release the CO2 from the amines and would like to see this as well. There are few things puzzling me about this.

First, amines are a class of compounds, and I wonder what specific one would be suitable for this demonstration.

Second, if we did succeed in capturing CO2, how (practically) would an electric shock be delivered to the liquid amine in a way to release it?

I should mention we have a good supply of chemical stock (for a high school), but not many commercial apparatus available.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The standard amine for CO2 scrubbing in the literature I'm familiar with is ethanolamine. I don't know too much about releasing CO2 from the amine, though. Heating will probably work.

Related to CO2 Absorption with Amines: Demo for Students

1. What is CO2 absorption with amines?

CO2 absorption with amines is a chemical process used to remove carbon dioxide (CO2) from industrial gas streams. Amines, which are organic compounds containing nitrogen, are used as absorbents in this process. As the gas stream passes through a solution of amines, the CO2 is absorbed and removed from the gas mixture.

2. Why is CO2 absorption with amines important?

CO2 absorption with amines is important because it helps to reduce the amount of CO2 released into the atmosphere. CO2 is a greenhouse gas that contributes to climate change, and removing it from industrial gas streams can help to mitigate its impact. This process is also essential for carbon capture and storage, which is a method of reducing CO2 emissions from power plants and other industrial facilities.

3. How does CO2 absorption with amines work?

CO2 absorption with amines works by using a chemical reaction between the CO2 gas and the amine solution. The amines have a high affinity for CO2, meaning they are able to bind to it and remove it from the gas stream. The amine solution is continuously circulated through the absorption tower, allowing for multiple rounds of absorption and desorption to occur.

4. What are the benefits of CO2 absorption with amines?

CO2 absorption with amines has several benefits. It is a cost-effective and efficient method for removing CO2 from industrial gas streams. It also has a high selectivity for CO2, meaning it can remove a large percentage of the gas without affecting other components. Additionally, the process produces a concentrated stream of CO2, which can then be stored or used for other purposes.

5. Are there any drawbacks to CO2 absorption with amines?

One potential drawback of CO2 absorption with amines is the energy required for the process. The solution must be heated to release the absorbed CO2, which can be energy-intensive. Additionally, amines can degrade over time and need to be replaced, which can add to the overall cost of the process. However, ongoing research and development are focused on improving the efficiency and reducing the energy requirements of this process.