Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical CO2 affecting performance

1. Feb 7, 2009 #1

jgens

Gold Member

What is an optimal CO2 concentration (a range of values or percentages) for maintaining baseline performance among humans? For example, short term exposure to CO2 concentrations less than 5% has negligible impacts on performance (I don't think this is true, it's just an example). If anyone happens to know any peer reviewed scientific literature regarding this topic it would be much appreciated.

As an aside, my high school often has trouble maintaining tolerable concentrations (concentrations which have a negligible impact on performance) of CO2. I would like to attempt to find ways to perhaps maintain tolerable CO2 concentrations through improved ventilation, introduction of plants to classrooms, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2009 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Ventilation for maintaining indoor air quality is required by building codes.

How do you know your high school has too high a CO2 concentration?

CO2 is a bad thing to have in any concentration, but ambient levels range from 400-800 ppm. Codes require keeping the indoor level within 600 pmm of ambient. There is a variety of differening interpretations of what is acceptable as an absolute level, starting with about 2000 ppm. Google gives lots of results. Here's the Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoor_air_quality#Carbon_dioxide

4. Feb 8, 2009 #3

jgens

Gold Member

Thanks for the link!

I know the CO2 concentration inside the school has been too high because various wings of the building are periodically shut down or require increased ventilation (such as opening windows in the middle of Winter).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook