CO2 gas diffussion and exchange

In summary, the best cell culture vessel for experiments initially contains 0% CO2 and is then placed in an incubator set to 37 degreesC and 5% CO2. A 1 micron filter can be attached to a 10mm wide port or a .2 micron filter can be attached to a 26mm wide port. The vessel with the 26mm port is proven to be better as more cells survive, possibly due to quicker diffusion of CO2. However, the reason for this is unclear and further research is needed to understand the underlying theories and equations that explain the difference in flow rates between the two vessels. It is also important to measure the CO2 concentration over time to fully understand the impact of the vessel
soe236
I have to pick the best cell culture vessel:
For my experiments, the vessel initially contains 0% CO2. Then it's placed in an incubator set to 37 degreesC and 5% CO2. There is a 1 micron filter i can attach to a port in the vessel that can be 10mm wide or a .2 micron filter can be attached to a port that is 26mm wide. Experimentally the vessel with the 26mm port proves to be better as more cells survive--probably because CO2 diffuses quicker (I assume)--and 5%CO2 is necessary for the cells. I'm just not able to justify the result--can anyone please explain why this might be occurring based on any theories like brownian motion or bernoulli's principle maybe?? Basically I need some kind of an equation that justies that the volumetric flow rate is much faster/better in the vessel that has a 26mm port instead of the 10mm ports (regardless of the filter device--which probably acts as resistance).

Physics news on Phys.org
Insufficient information, really, since while you know the size of the holes, you don't know the % of hole area. (after all it wouldn't matter if the filter was huge if it only had one hole in it!) If you assume it's the same in both filters, then obviously the larger one will let gas through faster.

It sounds a bit strange. I'd expect the gas concentration to equilibrate within minutes, whereas incubation times are on the order of 10-20h, aren't they? I'd expect the effect to be quite small.

Either way, it'd really be easier to just measure the concentration over time. Surely if the CO2 concentration is so vital you must have some means of measuring it?

1. What is CO2 gas diffusion and exchange?

CO2 gas diffusion and exchange refers to the process by which carbon dioxide (CO2) moves between two areas with different concentrations. In biological systems, this typically involves the exchange of CO2 between the atmosphere and living organisms through processes such as respiration and photosynthesis.

2. How does CO2 gas diffuse and exchange in the human body?

In the human body, CO2 diffuses from the cells and tissues into the bloodstream, where it is carried to the lungs. In the lungs, CO2 is exchanged for oxygen (O2) through respiration, and is then exhaled back into the atmosphere.

3. What factors affect CO2 gas diffusion and exchange?

The rate of CO2 diffusion and exchange is influenced by several factors, including the concentration gradient between the two areas, the surface area available for exchange, the thickness of the barrier through which diffusion occurs, and the temperature of the system.

4. How is CO2 gas diffusion and exchange important in climate change?

CO2 gas diffusion and exchange play a crucial role in the Earth's climate. Increasing levels of atmospheric CO2, largely due to human activities, lead to higher concentrations of CO2 in the oceans. This can impact marine life and contribute to ocean acidification. Additionally, high levels of CO2 in the atmosphere trap heat, contributing to the greenhouse effect and global warming.

5. What are some ways to measure CO2 gas diffusion and exchange?

There are several methods for measuring CO2 gas diffusion and exchange, including gas exchange analysis, which measures the exchange of gases between an organism and its environment; carbon isotope analysis, which compares the ratio of carbon isotopes in the atmosphere and in living organisms; and remote sensing techniques, which use satellite data to monitor changes in atmospheric CO2 levels over time.