Coating a Stainless Steel Lab Reactor

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of using a small stainless steel lab reactor for a hot acidic test that would corrode the material. The options of using a coating, liner, or passivation are explored, as well as the possibility of using a standard lab Pyrex vessel. The idea of depositing a protective film from vapor phase or using a thin platinum wire heated in an inert gas atmosphere is also suggested. Ultimately, it is decided that using a coating would be the best solution, with further exploration into the best material to use.
rollingstein
Gold Member
We have a small lab reactor (~2 Litres) made of stainless steel that we use to test reactions.

Unfortunately, we now have one test which has a hot acidic environment (dil. HCl approx. 20%) that would corrode the native stainless steel.

Is there any way to work around this? Maybe a coating? I've heard of glass coated reactors but not sure if there's a way to do such a coating by myself?

Ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Time to buy a new reactor for the specific process you're interested in.

Mech_Engineer said:
Time to buy a new reactor for the specific process you're interested in.

:) With barely 2 Litres of non-toxic (well, save the acid) material, I'm willing to improvise.

Not a huge risk. A new reactor is expensive. After all, the company must coat it someway too. If it's at all practical I want to do this homebrew.

Buying a squeaky, new off-the-shelf reactor every time I encounter a iffy material would be a expensive hobby. I'd prefer to explore other options (coatings, liners, passivation) first, if feasible.

PS. Lest anyone misunderstand, this is not a basement project. I've a decent lab with hoods, inert gas, steam, respirators and all the usual goodies.

Last edited:
Coatings seem the logical option, provided you are sure you can remove them after the experiment and that they won't interfere with subsequent uses. Also, while HCl resistance is pretty easy, epoxy coatings will work just fine, hot HCl presumably means you are heating the vessel, which may be a problem for them.
Still, there are a plethora of coating material options and at the 2 liter scale, you could apply the stuff by hand.
Alternatively, could you perhaps just substitute a standard lab Pyrex vessel for the reactor?
Of course, if your reactor has complicated elements or serious pressure, then that is out, but that also would mean that coating might not be so easy.

Likes 1 person
I suppose it's not that easy to cover it manually, if HCl would go through valves and etc.
What I would suggest, is to deposit protective film from vapor phase.
Ultimate long-term solution would be to heat thin platinum wire inside reactor in atmosphere of 10-100 Pa of inert gas.

Graniar said:
What I would suggest, is to deposit protective film from vapor phase.
Ultimate long-term solution would be to heat thin platinum wire inside reactor in atmosphere of 10-100 Pa of inert gas.

How hot does the wire have to be? Pt must vaporize at fairly high T.

100 Pa sounds like a very low pressure of inerts, even if gauge pressure.

etudiant said:
Coatings seem the logical option, provided you are sure you can remove them after the experiment and that they won't interfere with subsequent uses. Also, while HCl resistance is pretty easy, epoxy coatings will work just fine, hot HCl presumably means you are heating the vessel, which may be a problem for them.
Still, there are a plethora of coating material options and at the 2 liter scale, you could apply the stuff by hand.
Alternatively, could you perhaps just substitute a standard lab Pyrex vessel for the reactor?
Of course, if your reactor has complicated elements or serious pressure, then that is out, but that also would mean that coating might not be so easy.

Coatings seems indeed the best idea. Thanks.

I will explore to see what material works best.

rollingstein said:
How hot does the wire have to be? Pt must vaporize at fairly high T.

100 Pa sounds like a very low pressure of inerts, even if gauge pressure.

Sorry, mean blowing very thin wire by capacitor discharge, not just heating. The inert gas pressure needed to make Pt atoms diffuse into shadowed parts of reactor instead of direct beam epitaxy like in high vacuum. And to avoid forming aerosol like it would be in higher pressure atmosphere.

Or you could just finely grind some pyrex and coat the interior with it while heating it to the pyrex melting point. Use a thin layer of waterglass Type N or T to make the pyrex flour adhere.

Likes 1 person

1. How do I choose the right type of coating for my stainless steel lab reactor?

Choosing the right type of coating for your stainless steel lab reactor depends on the properties and materials that will be used in your experiments. Some common coating options for stainless steel reactors include glass, PTFE, and ceramic. Consider factors such as chemical resistance, temperature tolerance, and compatibility with your experiments when selecting a coating.

2. Is it necessary to coat a stainless steel lab reactor?

It is not always necessary to coat a stainless steel lab reactor, but it can provide added protection and improve the reactor's performance. Coatings can help prevent corrosion, improve chemical resistance, and reduce contamination. However, if your experiments do not involve harsh chemicals, high temperatures, or reactive materials, a coating may not be necessary.

3. Can I apply a coating to an existing stainless steel lab reactor?

Yes, it is possible to apply a coating to an existing stainless steel lab reactor. However, the reactor must be thoroughly cleaned and prepared before applying the coating to ensure proper adhesion. It is also important to select a coating that is compatible with the materials and chemicals used in your experiments.

4. How do I properly maintain a coated stainless steel lab reactor?

To properly maintain a coated stainless steel lab reactor, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for cleaning and care. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials that could damage the coating. Regularly inspect the reactor for any signs of wear or damage to the coating and address any issues promptly to prevent further damage.

5. Can I use a coated stainless steel lab reactor for all types of experiments?

No, not all types of experiments are suitable for a coated stainless steel lab reactor. Some coatings may not be compatible with certain chemicals or materials, and others may have temperature limitations. It is important to carefully consider the type of experiments you will be conducting and choose a coating that is appropriate for those conditions.