Codeine based biochemistry

In summary: If not, do you know if any other animals do?In summary, an alien species would likely use codeine in their biochemistry in order to store energy or as an oddball carbohydrate.
Ettina
OK, in my story with a human colony ship headed to a new planet, I'm thinking of making the life on that planet originate from a comet carrying life with a shared ancestry to Earth life. Which means that they'll be a bit less alien than they otherwise could have been. They will share a lot of our amino acids, so people could eat them and actually gain nutrients.

However, I want a problem that makes the food dangerous to eat for all but a minority of the population. Since I'm immune to codeine, the idea I had was to have everything have high concentrations of codeine, so most people can only eat local life in moderation or risk overdose.

So my question is, how might an alien species (plantlike or animallike) use codeine in their biochemistry? What purpose would it serve, and what would be the likely concentration?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ettina said:
So my question is, how might an alien species (plantlike or animallike) use codeine in their biochemistry? What purpose would it serve, and what would be the likely concentration?
They definitely shouldn't have kidneys. And if, they won't have them for long.
##LD_{50} = 400\,mg\,kg^{-1} (rats), 60\,mg\,kg^{-1} (mice) ##

To speculate on a hypothetical metabolism is rather difficult. What are your assumptions? As an alien life, you may invent whatever you like. If they are built similar to us, their lifespan would certainly be pretty short (kidney failure).

You would have problems 'basing' a metabolism on codiene. Our metabolism is based on photosynthesis to trap sun's energy. From there proteins, carbohydrates, and fats are generated in living cells using biochemistry - driven by the chemical energy that came from photosynthesis.

So you could say our biochemistry is based on the three primary building blocks of life. You could make codiene something that is used to store energy sort of like glycogen or starch do for us, if you want. Sort of like an oddball carbohydrate. Does that get at what you mean? I'm ignoring water to make it simpler.

Likes Evo
fresh_42 said:
They definitely shouldn't have kidneys. And if, they won't have them for long.

Hey Ettina, do you have kidneys?

1. What is codeine and how does it work?

Codeine is a narcotic pain reliever that is derived from the opium poppy plant. It works by attaching to opioid receptors in the brain and blocking the transmission of pain signals.

2. What are the uses of codeine in medicine?

Codeine is commonly used to treat mild to moderate pain, cough, and diarrhea. It is often combined with other medications, such as acetaminophen, to increase its effectiveness.

3. How does the body metabolize codeine?

Codeine is metabolized by the liver into morphine, which is the active form of the drug. This process is controlled by enzymes in the liver, and can vary depending on an individual's genetic makeup.

4. What are the potential side effects of codeine?

Some common side effects of codeine include drowsiness, dizziness, nausea, and constipation. In rare cases, it can also cause more serious side effects such as difficulty breathing, allergic reactions, and dependence or addiction.

5. How does codeine interact with other medications?

Codeine can interact with other medications, such as antidepressants, sedatives, and muscle relaxants, to cause increased drowsiness and other side effects. It may also interact with alcohol or other substances, so it is important to talk to your doctor about any other medications you are taking before using codeine.