Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coding Theory Homework Question

1. Jan 22, 2006 #1
    Construct a [4, 7^2, 3] code. I know it exists because 7 is prime, so there are 6 MOLS. However, I am not quite sure how to go about constructing this code.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You sure you have that right? You can't encode 49 symbols in a codeword that's only 4 symbols long.

I don't know the acronym `MOL' either.

This sounds like a homework question -- you can usually metareason these out: it would probably be done using a code (or a technique) that you learned recently.
  4. Jan 22, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

MOLS=mutually orthogonal latin squares

I'm not positive what the (4,7^2,3) notation refers to, I'm guessing a 3-error correcting code with 7^2 codewords of length 4 (7 symbols each position?).

The construction I have in mind would make codewords of length 8 though. This is a pretty standard construction, and assuming it's what you're trying to do: are you having problems producing the MOLS or coming up with the code given a set of 6 MOLS? (or both?)
  5. Jan 26, 2006 #4
    Yes, MOLS is mutually orthogonal latin squares. the notation (4, 7^2, 3) referes to an [n, M, d] code where n is the length of each vector in the code, M is the number of vectors, and d is the minimum distance between them.

Anyway, I figured it our, so it's all good. Thanks for the responses.
  6. Jan 26, 2006 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ahh, 3 being minimum distance and not the level of error correction would explain how length 4 code words will be sufficient. Much simpler to construct the code when you only need 2 MOLS and not 6!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?