Coding Theory Homework Question

In summary: Thanks for clarifying. ahh, 3 being minimum distance and not the level of error correction would explain how length 4 code words will be sufficient. Much simpler to construct the code when you only need 2 MOLS and not 6! Thanks for clarifying.
SomeRandomGuy
Construct a [4, 7^2, 3] code. I know it exists because 7 is prime, so there are 6 MOLS. However, I am not quite sure how to go about constructing this code.

Physics news on Phys.org
You sure you have that right? You can't encode 49 symbols in a codeword that's only 4 symbols long.

I don't know the acronym `MOL' either.

This sounds like a homework question -- you can usually metareason these out: it would probably be done using a code (or a technique) that you learned recently.

MOLS=mutually orthogonal latin squares

I'm not positive what the (4,7^2,3) notation refers to, I'm guessing a 3-error correcting code with 7^2 codewords of length 4 (7 symbols each position?).

The construction I have in mind would make codewords of length 8 though. This is a pretty standard construction, and assuming it's what you're trying to do: are you having problems producing the MOLS or coming up with the code given a set of 6 MOLS? (or both?)

shmoe said:
MOLS=mutually orthogonal latin squares

I'm not positive what the (4,7^2,3) notation refers to, I'm guessing a 3-error correcting code with 7^2 codewords of length 4 (7 symbols each position?).

The construction I have in mind would make codewords of length 8 though. This is a pretty standard construction, and assuming it's what you're trying to do: are you having problems producing the MOLS or coming up with the code given a set of 6 MOLS? (or both?)

Yes, MOLS is mutually orthogonal latin squares. the notation (4, 7^2, 3) referes to an [n, M, d] code where n is the length of each vector in the code, M is the number of vectors, and d is the minimum distance between them.

Anyway, I figured it our, so it's all good. Thanks for the responses.

SomeRandomGuy said:
Yes, MOLS is mutually orthogonal latin squares. the notation (4, 7^2, 3) referes to an [n, M, d] code where n is the length of each vector in the code, M is the number of vectors, and d is the minimum distance between them.

Anyway, I figured it our, so it's all good. Thanks for the responses.

ahh, 3 being minimum distance and not the level of error correction would explain how length 4 code words will be sufficient. Much simpler to construct the code when you only need 2 MOLS and not 6!

What is coding theory?

Coding theory is a branch of mathematics and computer science that deals with the study of efficient and reliable methods for transmitting and storing information. It involves the use of codes to represent and transmit information in a way that is resistant to errors caused by noise or other interference.

What is the purpose of coding theory?

The purpose of coding theory is to find ways to transmit and store information in a way that is resistant to errors, such as those caused by noise or interference. This is important in many real-world applications, such as communication systems, data storage, and encryption.

What are the main types of codes used in coding theory?

The main types of codes used in coding theory are error-correcting codes and error-detecting codes. Error-correcting codes allow for the recovery of the original information even if some errors occur during transmission or storage, while error-detecting codes can detect the presence of errors but do not provide a way to correct them.

What are some applications of coding theory?

Coding theory has many real-world applications, including in telecommunications, data storage, satellite communication, and cryptography. It is also used in the design of error-correcting and error-detecting codes used in computer memory, hard drives, and other digital devices.

What are some common techniques used in coding theory?

Some common techniques used in coding theory include linear codes, cyclic codes, and convolutional codes. Other techniques, such as algebraic coding theory and information theory, are also used to analyze and design codes. Computer simulations and mathematical models are also often used to test and improve coding techniques.