1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coefficent of friction

1. Apr 18, 2008 #1
    Hello, I'm towards the end of my first semester of Physics 1 (cal based) and I've had this homework problem that has been making want to pull my hair out. I know that the coeffeicent of friction is between 0 and 1 and I have worked out the problem like my professor did but keep getting the wrong answer. Thank you for any help.

Michael

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A banked circular highway curve is designed for traffic moving at 70 km/h. The radius of the curve is 215 m. Traffic is moving along the highway at 40 km/h on a rainy day. What is the minimum coefficient of friction between tires and road that will allow cars to negotiate the turn without sliding off the road?

2. Relevant equations
    f-mg*sin(x)=ma*cos(x)
    N-mg*cos(x)=ma*sin(x)

tan(x)=v^2/Rg

where:
    m= mass = cancels out
    g= gravity = 9.8 m/s^2
    a= acceleration = v^2/R = 11.11^2/215 = .574 m/s^2
    x= angle
    v= velocity = 40 km/h = 11.11 m/s
    R= radius = 215m

3. The attempt at a solution

coefficent of friction = (g*sin(x)-a*cos(x))/(g*cos(x)+a*sin(x))

x= tan^-1(11.11^2/(215*9.8))
    x= 3.353

f = (9.8*sin(3.353)-.574*cos(3.353))
    (9.8*cos(3.353)-.574*sin(3.353))

f = -1.01*10^-15

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2008 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi 72_Cutlass_S,

I think there is a problem with your angle. When the problem says that the highway is designed for a speed of 70km/h, that means that at that speed friction is not needed to carry the car around the curve. The formula [itex]\tan\theta = v^2/(rg)[/itex] applies to that special speed. So I think you put in the wrong speed.

There is also a typo in your first equation (f-mg*sin(x)=ma*cos(x)); the right hand side needs a negative sign to be consistent with the left hand side. However, the minus sign appears later on, which is why I think it you just accidently left it out.

The next to the last line also has a minus sign in the denominator which I don't think should be there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?