Coefficient of friction between stick and circle

In summary, the problem states that for the system to remain at rest, the coefficient of friction between the stick and the ground must satisfy the equation μ ≥ (sin(Θ)cos(Θ)) / ((1+cos(Θ))(2-cos(Θ))) using the result from problem 2.18. The equation for 2.18 is also provided, which is the friction between the stick and the circle. The torque equation for the stick is also given. The discussion then focuses on the normal forces on the stick and the friction forces, with the conclusion that all three frictional forces are equal.
Demetrius

Homework Statement

Using the results from problem 2.18 for the setup shown in the Figure below show that if the system is to remain at rest, then the coefficient of friction:a) between the stick and the ground must satisfy

$$

μ ≥ \frac {sin(Θ)cos(Θ)} {(1+cos(Θ))(2-cos(Θ))}

$$

upload_2017-9-9_18-13-31.png

Homework Equations

The result from 2.18 is:

$$

F_f = \frac 1 2 ρgRcos(Θ)

$$

Which is the friction between the stick and the circle.

The Attempt at a Solution

The sum of torques on the stick is (my origin is the point where the stick and circle is touching):

## \frac L 2 mgcos(Θ) + L F_fsin(Θ) = L Ncos(Θ) ##

This is how far I am.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am puzzled by the use of "Ff". The diagram uses that for two different forces, and your equation uses it for a third. Which of these is intended in the 2.18 result is unclear.
What is ρ?
What is known about the masses of the stick and the cylinder/ball?

ρ is the mass density of the stick. ##F_f## is the friction force. The complete solution of 2.18 is below:

Screenshot from 2017-09-09 22-41-10.png

Demetrius said:
ρ is the mass density of the stick. ##F_f## is the friction force. The complete solution of 2.18 is below:

View attachment 210750
That helps, and I can see that the frictional force from ground on stick must also be Ff.
What about N? Is there some simple argument that the two normal forces on the stick are the same?
What other equations do you have for forces on the stick?

Honestly before your response, I thought the two normal forces was different but if I had to come up with an argument of why they are the same then here it is:

Okay there is a normal force from the ground on the stick and there is a normal force from the circle on the stick. The only argument I can provide that these two normal forces are the same is that Normal force is a perpendicular force a surface applies to an object. The magnitude of the force is dependent on the object not the surface. So even though the two normal forces are from two different surfaces, the magnitude must be same. That is the only argument I can provide?

Demetrius said:
Honestly before your response, I thought the two normal forces was different but if I had to come up with an argument of why they are the same then here it is:

Okay there is a normal force from the ground on the stick and there is a normal force from the circle on the stick. The only argument I can provide that these two normal forces are the same is that Normal force is a perpendicular force a surface applies to an object. The magnitude of the force is dependent on the object not the surface. So even though the two normal forces are from two different surfaces, the magnitude must be same. That is the only argument I can provide?
No, I did not mean to imply they are the same, they are not. I am querying your use of the same name for two different normal forces.

haruspex said:
No, I did not mean to imply they are the same, they are not. I am querying your use of the same name for two different normal forces.

That is a mistake, the normal force I am referring to is the normal force from the ground on the stick. Here is my revised torque equation:

$$

\frac L 2 mgcos(Θ) + L F_fsin(Θ) = L N_gcos(Θ)

$$

where ##N_g## is the normal force from the ground on the stick

Demetrius said:
That is a mistake, the normal force I am referring to is the normal force from the ground on the stick. Here is my revised torque equation:

$$

\frac L 2 mgcos(Θ) + L F_fsin(Θ) = L N_gcos(Θ)

$$

where ##N_g## is the normal force from the ground on the stick
That's better.
I also asked about other equations for forces on the stick.

Okay, well this is the part I am having trouble with, but here are the sum of forces on the stick in the horizontal tradition. I have chosen a traditional axis where the positive x is pointing from the point of contact between the stick and ground and toward the circle:

$$

Σ F_x = F_f + N_gsin(\theta) - N_csin(\theta) - F_{f,c}cos(\theta) - F_gsin(\theta)

$$

where ##N_c## is the normal force between the circle and ground. ##F_{f,c}## is the friction force between the circle and the stick

haruspex said:
I can see that the frictional force from ground on stick must also be Ff

Question, you said earlier that the friction force between the stick and the ground is the same as the friction force between the stick and the circle. I said the same thing to my classmate and he disagreed. My reasoning for believing these friction forces must be the same was:

to keep the system static. The torque caused by the friction forces must be same because if they were not then the stick will move.

I could not proved this with math and I was not 100% sure if this was right either. So, are the two friction forces equal and how so?

Demetrius said:
are the two friction forces equal and how so?
Consider horizontal forces on the stick+circle system.

Okay I understand now. The only horizontal forces on the stick+circle system is the friction forces... Is my horizontal forces on the stick correct:

$$
Σ F_x = F_f + N_gsin(\theta) - N_csin(\theta) - F_{f,c}cos(\theta) - F_gsin(\theta)
$$

where ##N_c## is the normal force between the circle and ground. ##F_{f,c}## is the friction force between the circle and the stick

Demetrius said:
Okay I understand now. The only horizontal forces on the stick+circle system is the friction forces... Is my horizontal forces on the stick correct:

$$
$$

How does the normal force from the ground have a horizontal component?
Since we have established all three frictional forces are equal, no need to distinguish them with different subscripts.

Well the normal force from the ground is perpendicular to the ground (or surface). Hence it is not perpendicular to the stick right?

Demetrius said:
Well the normal force from the ground is perpendicular to the ground (or surface). Hence it is not perpendicular to the stick right?
Right, but your equation was supposed to be for horizontal forces on the stick, not forces along the stick.

haruspex said:
Right, but your equation was supposed to be for horizontal forces on the stick, not forces along the stick.
Okay, now I understand. The normal force from the ground does not have a horizontal component because the force is acting on the stick in only one direction and that is the vertical direction.

Here is my revised equation for horizontal forces on the stick:

$$
Σ F_x = F_f - N_csin(\theta) - F_fcos(\theta)
$$

Last edited by a moderator:
Demetrius said:
Okay, now I understand. The normal force from the ground does not have a horizontal component because the force is acting on the stick in only one direction and that is the vertical direction.

Here is my revised equation for horizontal forces on the stick:

$$
Σ F_x = F_f - N_csin(\theta) - F_fcos(\theta)
$$
Check the signs. Which way does the friction from the cylinder act on the stick?

1. What is the coefficient of friction between a stick and a circle?

The coefficient of friction between a stick and a circle refers to the measure of the amount of resistance encountered when the stick slides against the surface of the circle. It is represented by the Greek letter μ and is dependent on the materials of the stick and circle, as well as the force applied.

2. How is the coefficient of friction between a stick and a circle calculated?

The coefficient of friction can be calculated by dividing the force required to move the stick against the circle by the weight of the stick. This can be expressed as μ = F/W, where F is the force and W is the weight.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of friction between a stick and a circle?

The coefficient of friction is affected by various factors, including the types of materials of the stick and circle, the roughness of their surfaces, the temperature, and the force applied. The type of motion, whether it is sliding or rolling, also affects the coefficient of friction.

4. Why is the coefficient of friction between a stick and a circle important?

The coefficient of friction is important because it helps determine the amount of force needed to move the stick against the circle. It also affects the efficiency of the motion and can impact the overall performance of the system.

5. How can the coefficient of friction between a stick and a circle be reduced?

The coefficient of friction can be reduced by using materials with lower coefficients of friction, lubricating the surfaces, or by reducing the force applied. In some cases, changing the type of motion, such as using rolling instead of sliding, can also decrease the coefficient of friction.