1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coefficient of Rolling Friction

1. Oct 14, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two bicycle tires are set rolling with the same initial speed of 3.00 along a long, straight road, and the distance each travels before its speed is reduced by half is measured. One tire is inflated to a pressure of 40 and goes a distance of 17.2 ; the other is at 105 and goes a distance of 92.3 . Assume that the net horizontal force is due to rolling friction only and take the free-fall acceleration to be = 9.80 .

What is the coefficient of rolling friction for the tire under low pressure?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I found the acceleration to be -0.19 I am stuck at that part I dont know what to do from there.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2007 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, good so far, don't forget your units. Now that you have solved for a, why not try Newton 2?

4. Oct 14, 2007 #3
    Ive tried that but Fnet=ma... they dont give mass in the problem. I cant find the coefficient without mass. Im really stuck...I know I have to use newtons second law but I dont know how to start...

5. Oct 14, 2007 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You may not need to know the mass. What's the formula for the friction force, which is given as Fnet in this problem?

6. Oct 14, 2007 #5
    Friction force= coefficient of friction * Normal force...?

7. Oct 14, 2007 #6

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, and what is the normal force in this problem?

8. Oct 14, 2007 #7
    Hmmm that is what I am stuck on calculating normal force. Is there a way to calculate normal force with the information provided?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  9. Oct 14, 2007 #8

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To calculate the normal force, look in the y direction for all forces, and apply Newton 1, since there is no acceleration in the y direction..

10. Oct 14, 2007 #9
    Fn= 0?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  11. Oct 14, 2007 #10

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, Fnet = 0 in the y direction. The normal force acts up on the tire in the y direction. What other force acts in the y direction?

12. Oct 14, 2007 #11
    Force of gravity. 9.8m/s^2

13. Oct 14, 2007 #12

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/s^2;the force of gravity is the tires weight, which is what?

14. Oct 14, 2007 #13
    Sorry I dont really know...

15. Oct 14, 2007 #14

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh,you should be familiar with the equation for weight : W = mg. So if the tire weighs 'mg', then the normal force must be ????

16. Oct 14, 2007 #15
    n=mg...

17. Oct 14, 2007 #16

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes! Now you've got everything you need. Go back into the horizontal direction and solve for the friction coefficient. The mass term should cancel out......

18. Oct 14, 2007 #17
    I believe thats where Im stuck... I cant seem to continue from there. I would be missing the friction force to calculate the coefficient of friction.

19. Oct 14, 2007 #18

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, you already stated what the friction force, F_f is: it's the coef of friction, u, times the normal force, N, that is F_f = Fnet = u*N, and since N=mg, then the friction force is u*mg. And since F_net = ma, can you now solve for u?

20. Oct 14, 2007 #19
    Thank you for your help. I dont know why I couldnt put that all together. Thanks again.

21. Oct 14, 2007 #20

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's OK, you toughed it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?