Coefficients of a particle in Linear superposition (QM)

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle in a linear superposition of two states with energies E_0 and E_1. The value of A, which is greater than 0, is expressed as a function of epsilon, where epsilon is between 0 and 3. The homework equations for this problem involve probabilities for the states E_0 and E_1, and the attempt at a solution involves normalizing the function and solving for A in terms of epsilon. The correct solution for A is A = sqrt((3-epsilon)/(4-epsilon)).
Johnahh

Homework Statement

a particle is in a linear superposition of two states with energy [tex] E_0 \ and\ E_1 [/tex]
[tex] |\phi> = A|E_0> + \frac{A}{(3-\epsilon)^{1/2}}|E_1>[/tex]

where:
[tex] A \ > \ 0, \ 0\ <\ \epsilon \ <\ 3[/tex]

What is the value of A expressed as a function of epsilon

Homework Equations

[tex]P(E_0) \ +\ P(E_1) = 1\\
P(E_0) = |<E_0|\phi>|^2\\
P(E_1) = |<E_1|\phi>|^2 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt was to normalise the function to find a value for A in terms of epsilon.
[tex] <E_0|\phi> = A\\
<E_1|\phi> = \frac{A}{\sqrt{(3-\epsilon)}} \\
|<E_1|\phi>|^2 + |<E_0|\phi>|^2 = A^2 + \frac{A^2}{(3-\epsilon)} = 1\\
A^2(1 + \frac{1}{3-\epsilon}) = 1\\
4A^2 -\epsilon A^2 = 3-\epsilon\\
A^2 = \frac{3-\epsilon}{4-\epsilon}\\
A = \sqrt\frac{3-\epsilon}{4-\epsilon}\\ [/tex]

But this does not give me a value of 1 when i put it back in? I'm unsure where I am going wrong - only had 2 QM lectures so my knowledge is limited.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Johnahh said:
But this does not give me a value of 1 when i put it back in?
I think your answer is correct.

Likes Johnahh
blue_leaf77 said:
I think your answer is correct.
Wow, I was being an absolute idiot, and inputting A back in incorrectly, for some reason i was just putting the value of A back into
[tex]<E_0|\phi> and <E_1|\phi>[/tex] expecting to get one.

Thankyou lol

1. What is the meaning of coefficients in linear superposition?

The coefficients in linear superposition refer to the numerical values that determine the relative contribution of each state in a quantum system. These values represent the probability amplitudes of a particle being in a certain state at a certain time.

2. How are coefficients calculated in linear superposition?

Coefficients in linear superposition are calculated using the principles of quantum mechanics and the Schrödinger equation. The coefficients are determined by solving for the wave function, which describes the state of a particle in a quantum system.

3. What is the significance of coefficients in linear superposition?

The coefficients in linear superposition play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in the quantum world. They represent the probability of a particle being in a certain state, and their values can change over time, allowing for the phenomenon of quantum superposition.

4. How do coefficients affect the measurement of a quantum system?

Coefficients in linear superposition affect the measurement of a quantum system by determining the probability of the system collapsing into a specific state when measured. The higher the coefficient, the higher the probability of the particle being in that state when measured.

5. Can coefficients change over time in a quantum system?

Yes, coefficients in linear superposition can change over time in a quantum system. This is due to the concept of quantum entanglement, where the state of one particle can affect the state of another particle, causing changes in the coefficients and probabilities of the system.