1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cogeneration power cycle

1. Oct 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A cogeneration power plant is operating in a thermodynamic cycle at steady state. The plant provides electricity to a community at a rate of 80 MW. The energy discharged from the power plant by heat transfer is denoted by [itex]\dot{Q}_{out}[/itex]. Of this, 70 MW is provided to the community for water heating and the remainder is discarded to the environment without use. The electricity is valued at $0.08 kW[itex]\cdot[/itex]h. If the cycle thermal efficiency is 40%, determine the (a) rate energy is added by heat transfer, [itex]\dot{Q}_{in}[/itex] in MW, (b) rate energy is discarded to the environment, in MW.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]W_{cycle} = Q_{in} - Q_{out}[/itex]
    [itex]\dot{Q}=\dot{W}[/itex]
    [itex]\eta = \frac{W_{cycle}}{Q_{in}}=\frac{Q_{in}-Q_{out}}{Q_{in}}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I haven't the slightest idea how to even start this. There aren't even any worked examples in the book. I only know that the rate of heat transfer has to be equal to 80 MW (the power supplied by the plant).

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2011 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF, treynolds147! :smile:

I think it's not the rate of heat transfer that is 80 MW.
    It's the generated useful power [itex]\dot W_{cycle}[/itex] that is 80 MW.
    With an [itex]\eta[/itex] of 40%, you should be able to find [itex]\dot Q_{in}[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook