Coherent scattering in BCS semicon?

In summary: So basically, you can look at the scattering of light off of Cooper pairs to see if there is a superconductor state present?Yes, that's essentially what is being done.
2Tesla
Hello experts,

I've had some fun reading the posts in the various forums, and now it's time for me to ask a question.

Is it possible to scatter light off of a BCS semiconductor such that the light can be considered to scatter from the coherent state of many Cooper pairs, rather than just one pair or one electron? I would think this would be an interesting phenomenon, as the kinematics of the scattering would involve the large collective momentum and energy of many electrons.

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is a "BCS semiconductor"?

Not that in a superconductor, optical spectroscopy measurements are typically done by collecting the reflected light. Comparing this to the original incoming light and using Kramers-Kronig transformation, one can obtain the transmitted component. This component can give you information on the supercurrent density, etc.

Zz.

Oops, what a horrible typo... My apologies. I meant superconductor, obviously.

So, just to clarify--any individual collision would be between one photon and *all* of the supercurrent? I ask because, in that case, it seems the collective momentum of all particles in the supercurrent (2*N*me*vdrift, where N is the large number of Cooper pairs and me is the electron mass) might overwhelm the momentum of a low-energy (say, red visible) photon and cause a large deflection. And then it would seem that you can choose the direction of the reflected light by changing the direction of the supercurrent.

(Assuming, of course, that the photon can penetrate to the supercurrent and surface states don't cause a problem.)

One never does a "single photon scatters of a cooper pair". I've never seen such an experiment.

What has been done is the scattering of a lot of photons with a lot of cooper pairs (and other "normal electrons") in a superconductor. That experiment has been done.

Zz.

Ah, I think there is some confusion. I'm not talking about scattering off a single Cooper pair, but off of the coherent state of *all* of the Cooper pairs in the supercurrent.

Once the Cooper pairs have condensed into the ground state, they form a single coherent state, similar to a BEC. And in a BEC, as I understand it (and I may be wrong), one can scatter light from this entire state.

The reason I find this interesting, is that the momentum of this one coherent state, when in a supercurrent, must be large or comparable to that of a visible photon, since it has the mass of many many electrons.

Or am I so far off base that I'm completely incomprehensible to everyone reading? :redface:

But isn't this what I've said. You essentially scatter off all the carriers, but you can look for signatures of scattering off those that are involved in superconductivity.

There are many papers that do this, and are able to extract the superfluid density. You may want to look, for example, at this paper:

http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0410719

Zz.

1. What is coherent scattering in BCS semicon?

Coherent scattering in BCS semicon refers to the interaction of an electron with the lattice of a semiconductor material, where the electron and the lattice atoms oscillate in phase with each other. This results in the emission of a photon with the same energy as the electron's energy change. This process is also known as Rayleigh scattering.

2. How does coherent scattering affect the electronic properties of semiconductors?

Coherent scattering can affect the electronic properties of semiconductors by altering the overall energy and momentum of the electrons in the material. This can lead to changes in the electrical conductivity, optical properties, and other characteristics of the semiconductor.

3. What is the significance of coherent scattering in BCS theory?

Coherent scattering plays a crucial role in the BCS (Bardeen-Cooper-Schrieffer) theory of superconductivity. This theory explains the phenomenon of zero resistance in certain materials at low temperatures, and it relies on the concept of coherent scattering to explain the pairing of electrons and formation of superconducting states.

4. How is coherent scattering related to inelastic scattering?

Coherent scattering and inelastic scattering are two types of scattering processes that can occur in materials. While coherent scattering involves the emission of a photon with the same energy as the electron, inelastic scattering results in the emission of a photon with a different energy. Coherent scattering is a type of elastic scattering, meaning there is no energy loss during the interaction, while inelastic scattering involves energy exchange between the electron and the material.

5. Can coherent scattering be controlled in semiconductors?

Yes, coherent scattering can be controlled in semiconductors through various methods such as changing the temperature, applying external electric or magnetic fields, or altering the material's composition. By controlling coherent scattering, researchers can manipulate the electronic properties of semiconductors and develop new technologies such as quantum devices and sensors.