Collection of Lame Jokes

  • Thread starter Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jokes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
24,334 replies · 3M views
WWGD said:
Always wondered how Roman engineers built all those aqueducts, etc. with such system: XVI times MCD minus LVII = ...?!?
They didn't use all that stuff in the system you speak of, they just built them by..... ɪ
 
Physics news on Phys.org
A few very old one-liners of the sort "She was only a <fill in the blank> daughter...":

  • She was only a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.
  • She was only a rancher's daughter, but all the cow manure.
  • She was only a clergyman's daughter, but you couldn't put anything pastor.
  • She was only a statistician's daughter, but she knew all the standard deviations.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Noisy Rhysling, OmCheeto and davenn
Mark44 said:
A few very old one-liners of the sort "She was only a <fill in the blank> daughter...":

  • She was only a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.
  • She was only a rancher's daughter, but all the cow manure.
  • She was only a clergyman's daughter, but you couldn't put anything pastor.
  • She was only a statistician's daughter, but she knew all the standard deviations.

... She was only a signalman's daughter because her dada did dit

That's especially for @berkeman a fellow radio op :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman, OCR and Ibix
davenn said:
That's especially for berkeman...
What is for berkeman... ?
Dah-dah dah-dah-dah di-dah-dit di-di-dit dit, Dah-di-dah-dit dah-dah-dah dah-di-dit dit. .?
 
davenn said:
do you 2 have radio operator backgrounds either commercially, military or amateur radio ?
Not really. My Dad knew Morse from the army and I picked up some of the conventions from him (dah/di/dit for verbalising dashes and dots, for example), but I don't actually know Morse (not the whole alphabet, anyway). Enough to get your "dada did dit" joke. I'm just using the Morse/text translator OCR and I have been linking since #3904.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OCR and davenn
My mother-in-law and brother-in-law are both hams, though... my MIL is here right now, love her, she's an... :angel:

Yeah...
Ibix said:
I'm just using the Morse/text translator OCR and I have been linking since #3904.
 
OCR said:
They didn't use all that stuff in the system you speak of, they just built them by..... ɪ
?
 
fresh_42 said:
"Darling, where's my lunch?"
"Cookbook, page 42."
Is the choice of 42 Random?
 
WWGD said:
Is the choice of 42 Random?
Is the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_in_The_Hitchhiker%27s_Guide_to_the_Galaxy#Infinite_Improbability_Drive random?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: mfb and davenn
Ibix said:
He just multiplied six by nine and there it was.
In what unit(s)?
 
WWGD said:
?

Ibix said:
I/eye, I think.
I know so.
OCR said:
.--- ..- ... - / -.-. --- -- -- . .-. -.-. .. .- .-.. --..-- / -. --- / -.-. --- -.. . .-.-.-
WWGD said:
What does Arabic have to see with it?
Really, you thought that was Arabic?
 
Mark44 said:
I know so.Really, you thought that was Arabic?
I actually thought it was Morse code in Arabic ; ) ( No, I did not think that).
 
Ibix said:
Roads walked by a man.
How many must one walk until one can be called a man ( before blowing in the wind) *?

* Obscure reference, even I can't remember it.
 
WWGD said:
How many must one walk until one can be called a man ( before blowing in the wind) *?

* Obscure reference, even I can't remember it.
Ask the Noble prize committee. I have such a gut feeling they might remember it.
 
fresh_42 said:
Ask the Noble prize committee. I have such a gut feeling they might remember it.
No-Bell?
 
I was referencing Adams - when the philosophers hear The Answer after SEVEN AND A HALF MILLION YEARS they have to hurriedly come up with an Ultimate Question whose answer could plausibly be 42. Adams was almost certainly referencing Dylan with that particular choice of question, yes.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn and fresh_42
fresh_42 said:
Adams is the funniest way to undermine the philosophy ban. :smile:
You can get pretty far with Pratchett, too.

I remember my Dad reading Small Gods to me and having to take a break to stop laughing and start breathing again after they encounter the Ephebean philosopher Ibid. He's the most cited philosopher ever...