Collection of Lame Jokes
- Thread starter quddusaliquddus
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Jokes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
24,335 replies · 3M views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 20,819
- 28,467
"Wenn vor Fliegen Fliegen fliegen fliegen Fliegen Fliegen nach."
Google translate couldn't handle it, so I have to do it myself ... "If in front of flies fly flies flies fly behind flies."
Google translate couldn't handle it, so I have to do it myself ... "If in front of flies fly flies flies fly behind flies."
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Will Diego go golfing? Go Diego go! Best I can find in English.fresh_42 said:"Wenn vor Fliegen Fliegen fliegen fliegen Fliegen Fliegen nach."
Google translate couldn't handle it, so I have to do it myself ... "If in front of flies fly flies flies fly behind flies."
- 20,819
- 28,467
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/today-i-learned.783257/page-131#post-6096485WWGD said:Will Diego go golfing? Go Diego go! Best I can find in English.
However, @Ibix didn't tell it.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Actually, I just remembered this one : https://duckduckgo.com/?q=buffalo+buffalo+buffalo+buffalo+buffalo&t=h_&ia=webfresh_42 said:https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/today-i-learned.783257/page-131#post-6096485
However, @Ibix didn't tell it.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,480
- 2,231
James, while John had had "had", had had "had had"; "had had" had had a better effect on the teacher.
It refers to two students, James and John, required by an English test to describe a man who had suffered from a cold in the past. John writes "The man had a cold", which the teacher marks incorrect, while James writes the correct "The man had had a cold". Since James' answer was right, it had had a better effect on the teacher.
Extracted from the Wikipedia article James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher
Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License
It refers to two students, James and John, required by an English test to describe a man who had suffered from a cold in the past. John writes "The man had a cold", which the teacher marks incorrect, while James writes the correct "The man had had a cold". Since James' answer was right, it had had a better effect on the teacher.
Extracted from the Wikipedia article James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher
Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
What if James and John had had... a Buffalo...?DrGreg said:James, while John had had "had", had had "had had"; "had had" had had a better effect on the teacher.
It refers to two students, James and John, required by an English test to describe a man who had suffered from a cold in the past. John writes "The man had a cold", which the teacher marks incorrect, while James writes the correct "The man had had a cold". Since James' answer was right, it had had a better effect on the teacher.
Extracted from the Wikipedia article James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher
Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License
Stavros Kiri
- 1,148
- 1,014
Italians have a saying: (~ transl.) "if the boat goes goes goes let it go go go ..."fresh_42 said:"Wenn vor Fliegen Fliegen fliegen fliegen Fliegen Fliegen nach."
Google translate couldn't handle it, so I have to do it myself ... "If in front of flies fly flies flies fly behind flies."
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
WWGD said:Thanks, those are fun too, but I am referring to consecutive equal syllables. There is a company in India called "Tata": Then we can do:
The issue was fixed thanks to the Tata Tax system. Ta-ta-ta
Or:
I will miss Miss Miss(Issippi). EDIT:
Or, as mfb's one : I will have a Muon On Onion.
Imagine they're examples of consonance. I like actual sentences; not too strained, with meaning and regular grammar. I tried to shift syllables then match final letters in the "Gretchen Green" line. I also like the appearance of the letters and sub-text "M-O-O" in mfb's.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Klystron said:Imagine they're examples of consonance. I like actual sentences; not too strained, with meaning and regular grammar. I tried to shift syllables then match final letters in the "Gretchen Green" line. I also like the appearance of the letters and sub-text "M-O-O" in mfb's.
I actually used one of these sentences , replying to someone who had gone to school with the person who ultimately became Miss Mississippi. They mentioned this, and stated he had no seen her for a while. "Do you miss Miss Miss(issippi)". But , yes, the others are forced, but I think it is funny to have people try to pronounce more of one of these phrases. They end up looking exhausted, without knowing why :).EDIT: I have thought of writing a small play ( say 5-10 min) to be performed in the streets/subway with plenty of these tripled sentences, without warning the audience. The audience will sense there is something unusual, without knowing what, which is kind of fun.
Stavros Kiri
- 1,148
- 1,014
I have a singularity on sale (half price). Interested?Klystron said:One day a year they let me call a hyperbolic trig function, but only up to a limit, and I have to return it in identical form.
Last year a spline accidentally broke the transcendental function. So, this year I only get to borrow a Taylor series. Shucks.
But:
it's soon to blow up! ...
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
WWGD said:I actually used one of these sentences , replying to someone who had gone to school with the person who ultimately became Miss Mississippi. They mentioned this, and stated he had no seen her for a while. "Do you miss Miss Miss(issippi)". But , yes, the others are forced, but I think it is funny to have people try to pronounce more of one of these phrases. They end up looking exhausted, without knowing why :).EDIT: I have thought of writing a small play ( say 5-10 min) to be performed in the streets/subway with plenty of these tripled sentences, without warning the audience. The audience will sense there is something unusual, without knowing what, which is kind of fun.
My last senator mentioned "...more Mormon money means..." during a speech. Sounded like "MoMo-morons-me". [No offense intended.]
- 13,926
- 16,804
@DrGreg beat me to it.fresh_42 said:https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/today-i-learned.783257/page-131#post-6096485
However, @Ibix didn't tell it.
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
[snip!]Klystron said:Actually received a mathematics degree; but it only covers integers. Good thing I became a programmer. < zing! >
Hey Jude! School of computer science:...DEAD!"
Yes, IT for me! 4me IT!
Some people enter IT for the money, bucks, euros, yankee-dollar$, stuff, lucre, it!
I'm content joining a profession with a recursive name. IT!
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
To extend it a bit . I knew this lady with first name 'Amor' ( which means 'Love' in Spanish. Kind of unusual).Klystron said:My last senator mentioned "...more Mormon money means..." during a speech. Sounded like "MoMo-morons-me". [No offense intended.]
There is a murmur, Amor more Mormon money means... Feel free to extend it anyone.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Amor is a Roman God, their version of the Greek Eros. So this name is not more unusual than Venus Williams or Love Rosa Gantt are!WWGD said:I knew this lady with first name 'Amor' ( which means 'Love' in Spanish. Kind of unusual).
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Well, yeah, she was not so bad, but not quite a Roman god. But Rome is Roma in Italian and they are order- reverses( mirror images ) of each other : Roma <--> Amor, so maybe you are right.fresh_42 said:Amor is a Roman God, their version of the Greek Eros. So this name is not more unusual than Venus Williams or Love Rosa Gantt are!
Stavros Kiri
- 1,148
- 1,014
Legitimately you are entitled to one more "more" since "Amor more Mormon money means more tithes and offerings" if that's what the senator meant ...WWGD said:To extend it a bit . I knew this lady with first name 'Amor' ( which means 'Love' in Spanish. Kind of unusual).
There is a murmur, Amor more Mormon money means... Feel free to extend it anyone.
(That's the best I can do.)
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
H'about:Stavros Kiri said:Legitimately you are entitled to one more "more" since "Amor more Mormon money means more tithes and offerings" if that's what the senator meant ...
(That's the best I can do.)
The murmur :Amor, more Mormon money, or more mortgage morass.
Maybe we can make it into a book, or at least a short story ;).
- 20,819
- 28,467
All cowards here. Nobody dares to use the other "mor" word in this context 
That leads me to an interesting question: Is it political incorrect or even discriminating, if one claims that in a certain group are people with a certain attribute? There is no "all" quantifier which pc people often assume, failing to read for the sake of an argument. And I'm convinced that each group, however defined, always contains people with even questionable, will say unflattering properties. So does pc dictate to speak nicely of an entire group, although there are surely idiots among them?
That leads me to an interesting question: Is it political incorrect or even discriminating, if one claims that in a certain group are people with a certain attribute? There is no "all" quantifier which pc people often assume, failing to read for the sake of an argument. And I'm convinced that each group, however defined, always contains people with even questionable, will say unflattering properties. So does pc dictate to speak nicely of an entire group, although there are surely idiots among them?
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
I just don't know what it means nor how to use it, that is why I don't use it any mor...fresh_42 said:All cowards here. Nobody dares to use the other "mor" word in this context
That leads me to an interesting question: Is it political incorrect or even discriminating, if one claims that in a certain group are people with a certain attribute? There is no "all" quantifier which pc people often assume, failing to read for the sake of an argument. And I'm convinced that each group, however defined, always contains people with even questionable, will say unflattering properties. So does pc dictate to speak nicely of an entire group, although there are surely idiots among them?
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
WWGD said:I just don't know what it means nor how to use it, that is why I don't use it any mor...
Italian semiotics expert Umberto Eco defines the term in the English translation of Focualt's Pendulum. Eco creates a 3-level hierarchy (idiot-cretin-moron) that describes every human interaction but with present company always excluded out of politeness.
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
I think I got the job! "Yay!" <smiley faces>
The interviewers asked me to describe my greatest strength. "Sincere ability to lie with a straight face.".
They asked me how I like to relax. "Imitating chimpanzee mating screams like Jane Goodall: "CAW! YOWL! Ba-BUCK! Skree! SKREE!'"
After things quieted down they asked if I spoke any foreign languages. Naturally, I conducted the rest of the interview in Klingon.
Finally asked me if I was 'looking for six figures' plus stock. "Sure. I love integers! But I'm a vegetarian...".
I don't think I got the job. "Shucks!" <frowny faces>
The interviewers asked me to describe my greatest strength. "Sincere ability to lie with a straight face.".
They asked me how I like to relax. "Imitating chimpanzee mating screams like Jane Goodall: "CAW! YOWL! Ba-BUCK! Skree! SKREE!'"
After things quieted down they asked if I spoke any foreign languages. Naturally, I conducted the rest of the interview in Klingon.
Finally asked me if I was 'looking for six figures' plus stock. "Sure. I love integers! But I'm a vegetarian...".
I don't think I got the job. "Shucks!" <frowny faces>
- 13,926
- 16,804
You should apply to where @DaveC426913 works - see this post.Klystron said:They asked me how I like to relax. "Imitating chimpanzee mating screams like Jane Goodall: "CAW! YOWL! Ba-BUCK! Skree! SKREE!'"
- 20,819
- 28,467
I've read these days:DrGreg said:I've lost my dictionary. I can't find the words to express how I feel.
"Dear teenagers!
Santa was reviewed your facebook profiles.
You will be given clothes and a dictionary this christmas."
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
Ibix said:You should apply to where @DaveC426913 works - see this post.
Excellent memory!
I based that joke on public talks Goodall gave while at Stanford. She provided numerous exemplars of chimpanzee and bonobo speech. The more anti-science hecklers interrupted her talk, the louder and sharper her chimp cries in return. Loud!
The Klingon answer's also reality-based. Dude was all "I prefer early-Klingon but my Romulan accent makes me difficult to comprehend!", interviewing for a scientific programming job at Ames. Klingon, along with FORTRAN 77 and C++, made a good match. The Trekkie was offered a position but ended up at Oracle, IMS.
Last edited:
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
I personally prefer bird calls when someone is within a small radius. I used them at large B&N stores too: Ka-Kaw Ka-Kaw ! Ka-Kaw Ka-Kaw!Klystron said:Excellent memory!
I based that joke on public talks Goodall gave while at Stanford. She provided numerous exemplars of chimpanzee and bonobo speech. The more anti-science hecklers interrupted her talk, the louder and sharper her chimp cries in return. Loud!
The Klingon answer's also reality-based. Dude was all "I prefer early-Klingon but my Romulan accent makes me difficult to comprehend!", interviewing for a scientific programming job at Ames. Klingon, along with FORTRAN 77 and C++, made a good match. Got an offer but ended up at Oracle, IMS.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Oracle as ERP or DB?Klystron said:Got an offer but ended up at Oracle, IMS.
Similar threads
- DennisN
- · Replies 17 ·
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Media
- Replies
- 17
- BillTre
- · Replies 4 ·
- Feedback and Announcements
- Replies
- 4
- jedishrfu
- · Replies 2 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 2
- BadgerBadger92
- · Replies 1 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 1
- Sciencemaster
- · Replies 33 ·
- Linear and Abstract Algebra
- Replies
- 33
- jtbell
- · Replies 188 ·
- Feedback and Announcements
- Replies
- 188
- smart_worker
- · Replies 7 ·
- AI and Computer Science
- Replies
- 7
- psie
- · Replies 3 ·
- Topology and Analysis
- Replies
- 3
- JT Smith
- · Replies 12 ·
- Quantum Physics
- Replies
- 12
- russellsh2
- · Replies 8 ·
- Mechanical Engineering
- Replies
- 8