Collection of Lame Jokes
- Thread starter quddusaliquddus
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Jokes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
24,333 replies · 3M views
Physics news on Phys.org
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
fresh_42 said:Oracle as ERP or DB?
DB software (I had to look up ERP.). Oracle paid better than Informatics (later Sterling Software) but the programmer's "shack" at the Unitary wind tunnel included a mock-up of the original Enterprise bridge including life-size posters of the principle characters. Klingon tolerated here!
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
In my experience, DB jobs are the ultimate catch -22 of not offering any entry level ( i my case) for fear of losing their data and then not giving you any positions from lack of experience. But I guess you are ahead of me. How did you avoid the catch -22?Klystron said:DB software (I had to look up ERP.). Oracle paid better than Informatics (later Sterling Software) but the programmer's "shack" at the Unitary wind tunnel included a mock-up of the original Enterprise bridge including life-size posters of the principle characters. Klingon tolerated here!
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
WWGD said:In my experience, DB jobs are the ultimate catch -22 of not offering any entry level ( i my case) for fear of losing their data and then not giving you any positions from lack of experience. But I guess you are ahead of me. How did you avoid the catch -22?
Serious subject. Oracle was there but I stayed at Ames as a software engineer for the advanced concepts flight simulator. Mainly finished projects other programmers eschewed. Executive-level systems control, error detection and mitigation, real-time data collection. Fun!
SW engineers wrote and shared our own DB code to meet specific NASA requirements.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Cool stuff. I ended up doing much more pedestrian stuff. Some Stats too. It was fun in the end, but I would have loved to have gone more deeply into DB. EDIT: Maybe I am getting too serious for this thread?Klystron said:Serious subject. Oracle was there but I stayed at Ames as a software engineer for the advanced concepts flight simulator. Mainly finished projects other programmers eschewed. Executive-level systems control, error detection and mitigation, real-time data collection. Fun!
SW engineers wrote and shared our own DB code to meet specific NASA requirements.
Last edited:
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
An organist contemplating the future decides to explore physical chemistry to realize their dream of free universal sinus glue...
"Musing musician musters munificent mucus mucilage."
[editorial note: Verbs difficult in these concatenations. First choice was "munge" meaning "mangle" but no 'sss' sound. Rule: First syllable match 'mu' plus sibilant as in 'muse'. 'muster' appears correct but alters the initial vowel sound. 'mucus' shifts sibilant to second syllable, 'munificent' to fourth.]
"Musing musician musters munificent mucus mucilage."
[editorial note: Verbs difficult in these concatenations. First choice was "munge" meaning "mangle" but no 'sss' sound. Rule: First syllable match 'mu' plus sibilant as in 'muse'. 'muster' appears correct but alters the initial vowel sound. 'mucus' shifts sibilant to second syllable, 'munificent' to fourth.]
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Good, you're in the right track!Klystron said:An organist contemplating the future decides to explore physical chemistry to realize their dream of free universal sinus glue...
"Musing musician musters munificent mucus mucilage."
[editorial note: Verbs difficult in these concatenations. First choice was "munge" meaning "mangle" but no 'sss' sound. Rule: First syllable match 'mu' plus sibilant as in 'muse'. 'muster' appears correct but alters the initial vowel sound. 'mucus' shifts sibilant to second syllable, 'munificent' to fourth.]
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
WWGD said:(Made up) Vatican logicians working overtime after Pope states: " I was wrong before, I actually _am_ infallible".
Catholic corollary to the lying Cretan!
Stavros Kiri
- 1,148
- 1,014
Solution: He made a mistake earlier saying that he wasn't infallible, which proves that he is not. But if he isn't infallible then how did he make that mistake? Well, may be he just thinks he did! ...WWGD said:(Made up) Vatican logicians working overtime after Pope states: " I was wrong before, I actually _am_ infallible".
(Epistemologically it is possible. May he has a justified belief that he did ... [etc.])
- 13,926
- 16,803
By papal bull, perhaps?WWGD said:(Made up) Vatican logicians working overtime after Pope states: " I was wrong before, I actually _am_ infallible".
- 20,819
- 28,467
Attachments
Science Advisor
- 3,381
- 2,936
They will be paid in Vatican currency?WWGD said:Vatican logicians working overtime
(Actually, I don't know if this one exists in the world anywhere else or: in what form does it exists, but in my country the term 'paid in Vatican currency' means something like 'may God reward you'.)
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Maybe papa(l) bear, aka bill O'Reilly. A conspiracy. I knew it!fresh_42 said:
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Vous etes Rive Gauche ou Rive Droit? Mais pas de politicques ici, nous somme tous de centre ;).Hope my high school French is not too stale.Rive said:They will be paid in Vatican currency?
(Actually, I don't know if this one exists in the world anywhere else or: in what form does it exists, but in my country the term 'paid in Vatican currency' means something like 'may God reward you'.)
- 20,819
- 28,467
Actually, they have Euro.Rive said:They will be paid in Vatican currency?
(Actually, I don't know if this one exists in the world anywhere else or: in what form does it exists, but in my country the term 'paid in Vatican currency' means something like 'may God reward you'.)
Science Advisor
- 3,381
- 2,936
Sorry, my nick was originally a random generated string, to be used in a D&D game. Then it stuck, and it took a decade when I found out that it actually has some meaning...WWGD said:Vous etes Rive Gauche ou Rive Droit? Mais pas de politicques ici, nous somme tous de centre ;).
So I have no idea, what did you wanted to say
De mondd magyarul, és akkor érteni fogom.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Ah, sorry, is that Hungarian?Rive said:Sorry, my nick was originally a random generated string, to be used in a D&D game. Then it stuck, and it took a decade when I found out that it actually has some meaning...
So I have no idea, what did you wanted to say
De mondd magyarul, és akkor érteni fogom.![]()
- 20,819
- 28,467
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
So I won't be able to show off the 10 words I remember from high school French :).Rive said:Sorry, my nick was originally a random generated string, to be used in a D&D game. Then it stuck, and it took a decade when I found out that it actually has some meaning...
So I have no idea, what did you wanted to say
De mondd magyarul, és akkor érteni fogom.![]()
- 20,819
- 28,467
Your French is better than ... The answer for me is "hibbdebach". Bet you cannot find out what that means! It is neither nasty, political incorrect, a curse or otherwise problematic. It's a totally normal word in the local tongue.WWGD said:Vous etes Rive Gauche ou Rive Droit? Mais pas de politicques ici, nous somme tous de centre ;).Hope my high school French is not too stale.
Last edited:
- 20,819
- 28,467
Él Budán vagy Pesten?Rive said:De mondd magyarul, és akkor érteni fogom.
Mentor
- 8,478
- 5,700
No, it is a city-state.WWGD said:Are they even a republic?
But this is not funny. So let me add a pope joke.
The Pope is riding in a limousine on an Italian road. He is bored so he asks his driver if they can trade places. The driver is a bit reluctant, but when the Pope asks you something, you say yes. So the Pope takes the wheel while the driver relaxes in the back. Wanting a bit of excitement, the Pope decides to step on it and starts driving faster and faster. After a while, two carabinieri see a limousine driving past at high speed, start to chase it, and finally flag it down. One carabiniere says to the other: "That passer must think he is pretty important to have his driver go so fast." The other carabiniere goes to talk to the driver and issue a ticket. He comes back a minute later and his colleague asks: "So, who's this guy who thinks he's so important?" The other replies: "I don't know, but he must be important, because is driver is the Pope!"
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
I think infallibility may imply he cannot put out bull.Ibix said:By papal bull, perhaps?
- 20,819
- 28,467
Doll are you, what do you need an "O" for?WWGD said:I don't have an O ;.Ref:Verbal puns in ( ruined by) writing.
Similar threads
- DennisN
- · Replies 17 ·
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Media
- Replies
- 17
- BillTre
- · Replies 4 ·
- Feedback and Announcements
- Replies
- 4
- jedishrfu
- · Replies 2 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 2
- BadgerBadger92
- · Replies 1 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 1
- Sciencemaster
- · Replies 33 ·
- Linear and Abstract Algebra
- Replies
- 33
- jtbell
- · Replies 188 ·
- Feedback and Announcements
- Replies
- 188
- smart_worker
- · Replies 7 ·
- AI and Computer Science
- Replies
- 7
- psie
- · Replies 3 ·
- Topology and Analysis
- Replies
- 3
- JT Smith
- · Replies 12 ·
- Quantum Physics
- Replies
- 12
- russellsh2
- · Replies 8 ·
- Mechanical Engineering
- Replies
- 8