Collection of Lame Jokes

  • Thread starter Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jokes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
24,338 replies · 3M views
fresh_42 said:
Yesterday I played chess against my little eight-year-old daughter. She was playing for the first time.
Of course I beat her.

But only because the lousy pita has won.
I think that would work better as "won the game" rather than "has won". (YMMV on whether beating your child because she beat you at chess is funny, but the play on "beat" is clearer).
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ibix said:
I think that would work better as "won the game" rather than "has won". (YMMV on whether beating your child because she beat you at chess is funny, but the play on "beat" is clearer).
I used Google translate, double checked. Mainly to get "kleine Pissnelke" translated, but this was in vain. Yeah, beating your child was an issue I had also trouble with. Finally I thought it is like ego-shooter video games: it only happened to electrons, not real persons. Of course I would have beaten her. On the board, of course.
 
fresh_42 said:
I used Google translate, double checked. Mainly to get "kleine Pissnelke" translated, but this was in vain. Yeah, beating your child was an issue I had also trouble with. Finally I thought it is like ego-shooter video games: it only happened to electrons, not real persons. Of course I would have beaten her. On the board, of course.
That is like..waaay above my paygrade. o_O
 
fresh_42 said:
I used Google translate, double checked. Mainly to get "kleine Pissnelke" translated, but this was in vain. Yeah, beating your child was an issue I had also trouble with. Finally I thought it is like ego-shooter video games: it only happened to electrons, not real persons. Of course I would have beaten her. On the board, of course.
In colloquial but archaic American English "little pissant" sounds close but the expression is pejorative and exclusively masculine; at least I have never heard the term "pissant" applied to a girl much less a woman since the insult implies an immature male.

Nelke translates literally as Carnation on my machine. So, my "sweet little flower" let me win?
 
Klystron said:
In colloquial but archaic American English "little pissant" sounds close but the expression is pejorative and exclusively masculine; at least I have never heard the term "pissant" applied to a girl much less a woman since the insult implies an immature male.

Nelke translates literally as Carnation on my machine. So, my "sweet little flower" let me win?
Well, depends on how much sarcasm lies in the "sweet" part. Although carnation is true and which is why it is an insult for females, it is still an insult; the rest of the word does not need a translation. The flower only softens the insult a bit. However, I wouldn't use it and definitely not on strangers. But as the entire story, it's not real, so the words shall only transport the mood.
 
With apologies to Joyce Kilmer
I think that I shall never see,​
A poem as lovely as your knee.​
A knee whose flesh lies softly prest,​
Against thy sweet and flowing breast.​
​
 
bi4Kx67VJruzIeYIuAVbP_1XPM&_nc_ht=scontent.fmuc3-1.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary and 256bits
Said one hair to the other..
"Your jokes are lousy."
"They might be, but quit nit-picking."
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD, Stavros Kiri and strangerep
fresh_42 said:
Infertility is hereditary.

If your parents did not have children, you will not get any either.
BillTre said:
Which leads to the following:
You (each living entity actually) come from a long line of reproducers, going back to the beginning of life (which is a pretty impressive string of reproductive success).
No, actually it leads to the conclusion (or logical premise) that if your parents did not have any children you do not exist! ...
[Or (if you do anyway) they are not your parents! ...]
 
jack action said:
This reminds me of a space anecdote. NASA spent many (I've heard of millions) of dollars to develop a ball pen which worked in zero gravity, the Russians simply equipped their cosmonauts with pencils.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Stavros Kiri, strangerep, jack action and 1 other person
fresh_42 said:
This reminds me of a space anecdote. NASA spent many (I've heard of millions) of dollars to develop a ball pen which worked in zero gravity, the Russians simply equipped their cosmonauts with pencils.
I've heard this before, but it's been pointed out that pencils aren't a great idea in zero g. Graphite is slightly conductive, and pencil shavings or broken leads will get everywhere. So this may be an urban legend. Or at least it's one of those things I'd like a decent source for.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Stavros Kiri
Ibix said:
I've heard this before, but it's been pointed out that pencils aren't a great idea in zero g. Graphite is slightly conductive, and pencil shavings or broken leads will get everywhere. So this may be an urban legend. Or at least it's one of those things I'd like a decent source for.
I once told someone an anecdote about a professor. The story was quite bizarre, but so was the professor. He answered: "I do not think it's true. However, the clue is: it could be true!"

It's similar to the urban legend about the US ship and the lighthouse. It dates back in the 30's and nobody really knows whether it has been true or not. That the US ship became larger and larger in every decade didn't help either.
 
Last edited:
Television advertising rears its ugly head: Bic pens promoted an aggressive marketing campaign that helped perpetuate this rumor while selling many "space pens". Mind you, ball point pens were starting to replace fountain pens as primary writing instruments in this period and Bic made a decent pen.

NASA had guidelines for permanent records that stipulated ink pens over easy to erase pencil. While I used #2 pencils for calculating on paper, I switched to pen when correcting documents and marking software printouts while working at Ames.
 
DYK that some people do not need gluten or lactose to be intolerant?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary, DrClaude, 256bits and 1 other person
And, misteriously, the bookmarks once lost from Firefox, are back, reappeared.
 
WWGD said:
And, misteriously, the bookmarks once lost from Firefox, are back, reappeared.
How did you manage to get the book with the marks into firefox?
 
fresh_42 said:
How did you manage to get the book with the marks into firefox?
Ah, sorry I posted it here, intended for RT. Though losing the bookmarks was no joke.
 
At any rate, are the jokes here not a proper set but a collection? Never saw a proof of it.
 
fresh_42 said:
It's similar to the urban legend about the US ship and the lighthouse. It dates back in the 30's and nobody really knows whether it has been true or not. That the US ship became larger and larger in every decade didn't help either.
It is not similar at all. We know it is wrong in every aspect.
Both the US and the Soviets used pencils and grease pencils and experimented with a bit more but they all come with some issues. They both switched to commercially available pens they bought for a few dollars per pen.
This pen thing is a stupid myth that circulates around the internet and has always been trivial to disprove, if only people would bother before sharing nonsense.
 
Some things are just funny and it's not really important if true or not. It's not as if I spread the twin towers conspiracy. Btw. we could win € 1,000,000 if we prove that Bielefeld doesn't exist! And have you ever read the "Karstadt Verschwörung"? I like those stories. They do no harm.