Collection of Lame Jokes

  • Thread starter Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jokes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
24,333 replies · 3M views
I know this joke with physicists and engineers, and it comes with an extra line:

What do we learn from this? Engineers apply the methods of physics without understanding them.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mfb said:
I know this joke with physicists and engineers, and it comes with an extra line:

What do we learn from this? Engineers apply the methods of physics without understanding them.
Me with mathematicians and economist, including the extra line.
 
This might get me banned, but here goes..

##\sin x=x ##
 
"Uuh, those are fluffy little puppies, what's that breed?"
"Strawberry. About 11 weeks old."
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary, jack action and nuuskur
Mark44 said:
Anybody else not get this?
1570231298985.png
 
  • Sad
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary
I would be careful with these - they might be lawyers just because their names give them clients, not because they are actually good.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: QuantumQuest
I'm thinking about using a cloud storage service, but I am a bit hesitant regarding the stability of those.
Do they work on sunny days?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: QuantumQuest, WWGD, davenn and 1 other person
DennisN said:
I'm thinking about using a cloud storage service, but I am a bit hesitant regarding the stability of those.
Do they work on sunny days?

speaking of cloud storage ...

new to cloud storage.jpg
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: QuantumQuest, nuuskur and DennisN
DennisN said:
I'm thinking about using a cloud storage service, but I am a bit hesitant regarding the stability of those.
Do they work on sunny days?
No problem. The Internet is world-wide. If it's sunny where you are, your data is automatically routed to someplace cloudy before being sent upwards.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: QuantumQuest, Keith_McClary, nuuskur and 3 others
Ibix said:
Dewey, Cheatham & Howe, of course, provides more general legal services. Their website: http://www.dewey-cheatham-howe.com/
mfb said:
I would be careful with these - they might be lawyers just because their names give them clients, not because they are actually good.
I'm fairly sure the website above is fake. The links on that page (at least the couple I checked) generate 404 errors.
For our non-US readers, the bogus law firm of Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe was dreamed up by the hosts of NPR's Car Talk radio show, Tom and Ray Magliozzi, AKA "Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers."

Another made-up name they used often was that of a purported high school English teacher, I. M. Shirley Wright.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: QuantumQuest
Mark44 said:
I'm fairly sure the website above is fake.

Oh, the website is real all right. It's the firm that's fake.
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: QuantumQuest, Keith_McClary and jack action
Mark44 said:
I'm fairly sure the website above is fake.
I was assuming @mfb was playing straight man. The website is definitely a spoof, even without your knowledge of the joke's origins. The phone number isn't particularly plausible to start with, and "we endeavor, both for our clients and ourselves, to acquire the property of others through the legal process and all other appropriate means" seems like a fairly obvious caricature of an amoral law firm.
 
Ibix said:
fairly obvious caricature of an amoral law firm.

"My dad's a barber."
"Really? My dad's a lawyer."
"Honest?"
"No, just the regular kind."
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: QuantumQuest, Wrichik Basu, Keith_McClary and 9 others
Mark44 said:
For our non-US readers, the bogus law firm of Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe was dreamed up by the hosts of NPR's Car Talk radio show, Tom and Ray Magliozzi, AKA "Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers."
Related to the apocryphal English law firm Sue, Grabbitt & Runne?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn and Ibix
My diet has failed. I will now focus on growing taller.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: QuantumQuest, Bystander, BillTre and 1 other person
I don't get why anyone wants to store clouds, but anyway. A specialist is someone who knows more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Wrichik Basu and BillTre
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: QuantumQuest and DrClaude
WWGD said:
I don't get why anyone wants to store clouds, but anyway. A specialist is someone who knows more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Efficiency Tip:
If you were to compress the cloud into a more dense state, like a liquid, it could more efficiently be stored.
 
BillTre said:
Efficiency Tip:
If you were to compress the cloud into a more dense state, like a liquid, it could more efficiently be stored.
Normally, compressing it into a solid would be more dense, but since clouds are made of water, this is not the case.

Therefore I vote to use another material to make the cloud more efficient, one that the solid state is more dense than the liquid state, and since we can select any material other than water, let's take the densest (stable) one: Osmium.

Assuming an actual cloud has a density of 0.5 g/m³, this would reduce the space needed by a factor of 45 millions!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: QuantumQuest and BillTre