Collection of Science Jokes P2

  • Thread starter Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jokes Science
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4,104 replies · 526K views
21752077_1827998167510683_3253972820506415334_n.png
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn, Stavros Kiri, Hawksteinman and 3 others
Physics news on Phys.org
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Stavros Kiri, DrClaude, mfb and 3 others
Q: What device is used for counting cows?
A: A cowculator.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn, Stavros Kiri and DennisN
:smile:

moment_of_clarity.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: AlexCaledin, Demystifier and collinsmark
For Sale. Baby Rudin. Never read.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark and PetSounds
Why do mathematicians struggle with particle physics?

They think all neutral particles are the same.

##\pi^0=B^0=D^0=\dots=1##
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Stavros Kiri
You know you are getting old if...​

Floppy_disk_90mm.jpg

...your colleagues think this is
a 3D-printout of the "save" icon.​

Joke adapted from (about 1,630 pages on the internet, according to Google, can't find the originator)
Photo taken by Tarquin 09:50 30 Jun 2003 (UTC), licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported licence.
 

Attachments

  • Floppy_disk_90mm.jpg
    Floppy_disk_90mm.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 794
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn, Wrichik Basu, Heisenburgundy Gold and 2 others
You better don't get caught with this one

commod21.jpg


Or be prepared to mumble something about a work therapy ...
 

Attachments

  • commod21.jpg
    commod21.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,182
fresh_42 said:
You better don't get caught with this one

View attachment 213499

Or be prepared to mumble something about a work therapy ...
Every time I see one of those, I just can't wrap my head around the fact that DOS - which I was required to load every time I opened the computer - was holding on a single floppy and I had a functional computer. Now, to get my functional computer, I need Windows, that would require something like 30 000 floppies! Imagine loading that every time you open the computer!
 
jack action said:
Every time I see one of those, I just can't wrap my head around the fact that DOS - which I was required to load every time I opened the computer - was holding on a single floppy and I had a functional computer. Now, to get my functional computer, I need Windows, that would require something like 30 000 floppies! Imagine loading that every time you open the computer!
And I remember I worked on a machine, that had a button which allowed to boost it from 35Mhz to fantastic 60MHz ...
 
I remember when getting it to run reliably at 4.77MHz sometimes required that my wife enter the bootstrap code on the front panel switches. SOmetimes I just could NOt get it right!

EDIT: Arrgh, guess I haven't improved much...
 
fresh_42 said:
And I remember I worked on a machine, that had a button which allowed to boost it from 35Mhz to fantastic 60MHz ...
What was really fantastic is that it was called the turbo button! Before you pushed the button, you felt like a race car driver that would barely hold this powerful beast on the track. After pushing the button and noting no differences, you pushed it again, wondering if it was working.

Casebuttons.jpg
 

Attachments

  • Casebuttons.jpg
    Casebuttons.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 719
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN and fresh_42
Don't forget 8" floppy disks, one of which is shown here on the left. Back in the mid-80's, the college where I worked bought proprietary word processing systems for the division secretaries. These systems consisted of dedicated hardware with an 8" floppy disk drive.
My first computer, an Apple //e I bought in 1981, had two 5-1/4" drives. As I recall, each diskette could hold a whopping 160 KB of data.
Floppy_disk_2009_G1.jpg
 

Attachments

  • Floppy_disk_2009_G1.jpg
    Floppy_disk_2009_G1.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 702
The scariest physicist ever:

xqCCK.jpg


(at Florida State University, Tallahassee)

(No, this is not my pic, unfortunately!)
 

Attachments

  • xqCCK.jpg
    xqCCK.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 709
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre, collinsmark, Stavros Kiri and 4 others
fresh_42 said:
You better don't get caught with this one
I even know what that blue thing is for. Is it normal that I don't feel old?
 
jtbell said:
The scariest physicist ever:
Diracula... I love it! :oldlaugh:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Stavros Kiri
the yougin' may not understand this one :wink:

system restore disk.jpg
 

Attachments

  • system restore disk.jpg
    system restore disk.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,147
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary, lekh2003, 256bits and 5 others
jack action said:
Dammit, I'm old! :H
And I still use them! ...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn and Tom.G
Stavros Kiri said:
And I still use them! ...
I do too!

I use them to transfer files from an old computer used for word processing to my 'Internet' computer. I'm so used to this, that, about 5 years ago, I went to my local newspaper with an ad stored on a disk. They were baffled! The lady finally told me that they still had a reader for it, but they were thinking about throwing it away. She told me: «I guess I will hang on to it a little bit longer!»

I felt the universe was sending me a message about using USB flash drives when getting out of my cave.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary and Stavros Kiri