Minimum Impact Velocity for Pendulum to Swing Over Top of Arc

In summary, the conversation discusses a pendulum with a massless rod and a hanging mass M with a frictionless pivot. A moving mass m embeds itself into M, causing the pendulum to swing clear over the top of its arc. The question is asking for the minimum velocity v required for this to happen. The solution involves calculating the acceleration needed to swing over the arc and using equations p=mv and vf=vi+at to find the initial velocity vi. However, the software has returned an error message, possibly due to incorrect numerical values or missing information about the top of the pendulum's arc.
gregcor

Homework Statement

A pendulum consists of a mass M hanging at the bottom end of a massless rod of length l, which has a frictionless pivot at its top end. A mass m, moving as shown in the figure with velocity v impacts M and becomes embedded.

What is the smallest value of v sufficient to cause the pendulum (with embedded mass m) to swing clear over the top of its arc?

Homework Equations

[tex]p=mv[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize that the acceleration must be [tex]\frac{v^2}{l}=g[/tex] to swing over the arc. Thus, I found:

[tex]v_f=mv_i/(m+M)[/tex], and set Vf equal to [tex]\sqrt{lg}[/tex] from the first equation.

I got:
[tex]v_i=\frac{(m+M)\sqrt{lg}}{m}[/tex]

But the software returned:
Code:
Your answer either contains an incorrect numerical multiplier or is missing one.

Help!
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the top of its arc?

Is there a figure you can provide or describe in better detail?

LowlyPion said:
What is the top of its arc?

Is there a figure you can provide or describe in better detail?

Sure. See the attachment.
Thanks!

Attachments

• GIANCOLI.ch09.p050.jpg
    GIANCOLI.ch09.p050.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 793

1. What is a collision around a pendulum?

A collision around a pendulum is when a moving object collides with a pendulum hanging from a fixed point, causing the pendulum to swing and change its direction of motion.

2. How does the mass of the object affect the collision around a pendulum?

The mass of the object does not affect the collision around a pendulum. The only factors that affect the collision are the initial velocity and angle of the object, and the length and weight of the pendulum.

3. What happens to the energy of the system during a collision around a pendulum?

During a collision around a pendulum, the total energy of the system remains constant. The initial kinetic energy of the object is converted into potential energy as the pendulum swings, and then back to kinetic energy as the object continues its motion.

4. How does the length of the pendulum affect the collision?

The length of the pendulum affects the collision by determining how far the pendulum will swing after the collision. A longer pendulum will swing further, while a shorter pendulum will swing less.

5. How do you calculate the speed of the object after the collision around a pendulum?

The speed of the object after the collision can be calculated using the conservation of energy principle. The initial kinetic energy of the object is equal to the final kinetic energy and potential energy of the pendulum. By solving for the final velocity, the speed of the object after the collision can be determined.