Collision between ball and stick

In summary, on a frictionless table, a 0.58 kg glob of clay strikes a uniform 1.62 kg bar perpendicularly at a point 0.18 m from the center of the bar and sticks to it. The final speed of the center of mass is 1.63 m/s. To find the angular speed of the bar/clay system rotating about its center of mass after impact, conservation of angular momentum can be used. The initial angular momentum of the bar is 0 because it initially has no angular velocity. The center of mass of the system before impact should be used to calculate the initial angular momentum associated with the bar and the glob.
juggalomike

Homework Statement

On a frictionless table, a 0.58 kg glob of clay strikes a uniform 1.62 kg bar perpendicularly at a point 0.18 m from the center of the bar and sticks to it. If the bar is 0.70 m long and the clay is moving at 6.20 m/s before striking the bar, what is the final speed of the center of mass?
A=1.63m/s

At what angular speed does the bar/clay system rotate about its center of mass after the impact?
A=?

[PLAIN]http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/616/prob21a.gif

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for the final speed of the center of mass using conservation of momentum, but i am lost on the 2nd part. I know the center of mass changes when the clay is attached to the bar, but I am not sure how i would use that to solve the question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi juggalomike! :wink:

Use conservation of angular momentum …

what do you get? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi juggalomike! :wink:

Use conservation of angular momentum …

what do you get? :smile:

If i using conservation of angular momentum, which is Ii*Wi=If*Wf the initial side will be 0 because initialy it has no angular velocity?

Hello juggalomike,

Think about what is the center of mass of the system (the system being the combination of bar and glob) immediately before impact. Using that point as the center of mass, what is angular momentum (before impact) associated with the bar? And the glob? :wink:

I would approach this problem by first analyzing the collision between the ball and stick using the principles of conservation of momentum and conservation of energy. Since the collision is perfectly inelastic (the two objects stick together after the collision), we can use the equation:

m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1 + m2)v

where m1 and v1 are the mass and initial velocity of the clay, m2 and v2 are the mass and initial velocity of the stick, and v is the final velocity of the combined system. Plugging in the given values, we can solve for v which gives us the final speed of the center of mass.

To determine the angular speed of the system after the impact, we can use the equation:

L = Iω

where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular speed. Since the collision is perpendicular to the stick, the moment of inertia can be calculated using the equation:

I = Σmiri^2

where Σm is the sum of the masses of the clay and the stick, and ri is the distance of each mass from the center of mass. We can then use the equation for conservation of angular momentum:

L1 = L2

where L1 is the initial angular momentum (which is zero since the stick is initially at rest) and L2 is the final angular momentum. Plugging in the calculated moment of inertia and the final velocity of the center of mass, we can solve for ω which gives us the angular speed of the system after the impact.

1. What factors affect the collision between a ball and a stick?

The factors that affect the collision between a ball and a stick include the mass and velocity of the ball and the stick, the angle at which the stick strikes the ball, and the material properties of both the ball and the stick.

2. How does the collision between a ball and a stick transfer energy?

During a collision between a ball and a stick, energy is transferred from the stick to the ball in the form of kinetic energy. The amount of energy transferred depends on the mass and velocity of both objects.

3. What is the coefficient of restitution in a collision between a ball and a stick?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of how much energy is lost or conserved during a collision between two objects. In the case of a ball and a stick, it represents the ratio of the final velocity of the ball to the initial velocity of the ball after a collision with the stick.

4. How does the angle of impact affect the collision between a ball and a stick?

The angle of impact between a ball and a stick can greatly affect the outcome of the collision. A head-on collision (90 degrees) will transfer the most energy from the stick to the ball, while a glancing blow (less than 90 degrees) will result in less energy transfer and possibly a change in direction for the ball.

5. What is the difference between an elastic and an inelastic collision between a ball and a stick?

In an elastic collision between a ball and a stick, both objects maintain their original shape and energy is conserved. In an inelastic collision, the objects deform and some energy is lost in the form of heat or sound. The coefficient of restitution for an elastic collision is 1, while for an inelastic collision it is less than 1.