Collision/Impulse: Calculating Impulse and Average Force

• Thread starter blue5t1053
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a physics problem involving a ball dropping onto a floor and rebounding. The conversation covers the concepts of impulse and average force, with multiple attempts and corrections made to the calculations. Eventually, the correct values for impulse and average force are determined to be -13.915 kg-m/sec and 813.743 N, respectively.
blue5t1053
I'm unsure if I set this up correctly. It's a mulitple choice homework question and it doesn't match any possible answers.

Question:
A 0.605 kg ball drops vertically onto a floor, hitting with a speed of 34 m/s. It rebounds with an initial speed of 11 m/s. (a) What impulse acts on the ball during the contact? (b) If the ball is in contact with the floor for 0.0171 s, what is the magnitude of the average force on the floor from the ball?

Attempt:
Part A:
I = mvf - mvi
I = m(vf - vi)
I = 0.605(11-34)
I = -13.915 kg-m/sec

Attempt:
Part B:

If the contact time = 0.0171 s, then:
F = Δp/Δt = I/Δt = -13.915 kg-m/sec/0.0171 s
F = -813.743 Nt

Physics news on Phys.org
blue5t1053 said:
Attempt:
Part A:
I = mvf - mvi
I = m(vf - vi)
I = 0.605(11-34)
I = -13.915 kg-m/sec
Incorrect: Realize that momentum is a vector. Direction (sign) counts! (Call up + and down -.)

Attempt:
Part B:

F = Δp/Δt = I/Δt = -13.915 kg-m/sec/0.0171 s
F = -813.743 Nt
Right idea, but you need to fix part A first. Also: magnitudes are always positive.

Doc Al said:
Incorrect: Realize that momentum is a vector. Direction (sign) counts! (Call up + and down -.)

Right idea, but you need to fix part A first. Also: magnitudes are always positive.

You're right about the magnitude! Thanks, I forgot that.

So I have...

Re-Attempt:
Part A:

I = mvf - mvi
I = m(vf - vi)
I = 0.605(11-(-34))
I = 27.225 kg-m/sec

Re-Attempt:
Part B:

F = Δp/Δt = I/Δt = 27.225 kg-m/sec/0.0171 s
F = 1592.11 Nt

Looks good! (The abbreviation for Newtons is just N, not Nt.)

1. What is the definition of collision in physics?

A collision in physics refers to the interaction between two or more objects where there is a change in their velocity or direction of motion. This can occur when the objects come into physical contact or when they exert forces on each other from a distance.

2. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the total energy and momentum of the system before and after the collision are equal. In an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved and some kinetic energy is lost in the form of heat or sound.

3. How do you calculate the impulse in a collision?

The impulse in a collision is equal to the change in momentum of the objects involved. It can be calculated by multiplying the force of impact by the time it acts on the object. Mathematically, it is represented as Impulse = Force * Time.

4. Can the impulse of a collision be negative?

Yes, the impulse of a collision can be negative. This can occur when the direction of the force of impact is opposite to the direction of motion of the object. In this case, the object will experience a decrease in momentum, resulting in a negative impulse.

5. How does the mass and velocity of objects affect the outcome of a collision?

The mass and velocity of objects play a crucial role in determining the outcome of a collision. In a collision between two objects of different masses, the lighter object will experience a greater change in velocity compared to the heavier object. Similarly, objects with higher velocities will have a greater change in momentum and kinetic energy during a collision.