Calculate Ratio of Masses A & B After Collision

• Thread starter Gloyn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, Homework Equations state that the principle of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of the two masses after the collision is the same as it was before the collision, and the principle of conservation of energy states that the total energy of the two masses after the collision is the same as it was before the collision. The attempt at a solution states that the ratio of masses is 1 if and only if u1 and u2 are not the same.
Gloyn

Homework Statement

Mass A is moving towards mass B, which is stationary. Collision is elastic. After the collision both masses are mobing symmetrically to the initial direction of motion of mass A.
What is the ratio of masses A and B if the angle between directions of motion of the masses is β?

Homework Equations

Principle of conservation of momentum:
-along the initial direction of A

[tex]m_1v_1=m_1u_1cosβ+m_2u_2cosβ[/tex]

-along the direction perpendicular to the one mentioned above

[tex]m_1u_1sinβ=m_2u_2sinβ[/tex]

Principle of conservationj of energy:

[tex]m_1v_1^2=m_1u_1^2+m_2u_2^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Does the 'symmetrical motion' mean that [tex]u_1=u_2[/tex]? If so, then m1=m2, but the answer for this question is m1/m2=2.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, I think that they are moving like I sketched. You said mobing symmetrically to the initial direction of motion.

Attachments

• Symmetrical motion.jpg
    Symmetrical motion.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 262
Hello, Gloyn.

I interpret the wording as saying that β is the angle between the u1 and u2 directions. Also, I interpret "moving symmetrically to the initial direction of A" as meaning that u1 and u2 make the same angle with respect to the initial direction of motion of A.

As you say, if you also require u1 = u2 then the ratio of masses would have to be 1. So, I would assume that u1 ≠ u2. But then, I would think that the answer for the ratio of the masses would depend on β. Did they specify a value of β?

Yes, they did. So they're not in symmetricall positions in every moment, but paths are symmetrical, right? What can we do about it then? Those three equations i mentioned are not enough, i guess?

Gloyn said:
Yes, they did.

Are you saying they did specify a value for β? If so, what value was given?
So they're not in symmetrical positions in every moment, but paths are symmetrical, right? What can we do about it then? Those three equations i mentioned are not enough, i guess?

That's how I would interpret the problem. When I work out the ratio of the masses I get a result that depends on β.

Oh, betha is 60 degrees. Can I see how did you work out the formula for the ratio?

Ok, I get the correct answer for β = 60o.

Note that β is given to be the angle between the two final velocities. So, what angle should be in your equations? Your equations all look good, by the way, except you should not be using β as the angle. Instead you should use an angle related to β.

Oh, yeah, it should be 30 degrees, so half betha. But I only have 3 equations and 4 variables (ratio and 3 different velocities). How do I overcome this?

Gloyn said:
But I only have 3 equations and 4 variables (ratio and 3 different velocities). How do I overcome this?
You only care about the ratio of the masses, so it will turn out that your 3 equations are enough.

The equations cannot determine values for all 4 quantities. But you can think of the three equations as equations for three unknowns: the ratio of the masses, the ratio u1/v1, and the ratio u2/v1. You can see that if you divided all three equations by m2, the first two equations by v1 and the last equation by v12, you would get three equations for the 3 unknown ratios. [Edited]

You are looking for the ratio of m1/m2, which you can just call r. Can you express each equation in terms of r? What does the 2nd equation give you for u2 in terms of u1 and r?

Last edited:
Oh, I'm dumb. Thank you guys.

1. What is the formula for calculating the ratio of masses A & B after collision?

The formula for calculating the ratio of masses A & B after collision is: mA/mB = uB/(uA + uB), where mA is the mass of object A, mB is the mass of object B, and uA and uB are the initial velocities of objects A and B, respectively.

2. How do I determine the initial velocities of objects A and B?

To determine the initial velocities of objects A and B, you will need to know the mass and initial velocity of each object before the collision. These values can be obtained through experimentation or given in the problem.

3. Can I use this formula for any type of collision?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of collision, whether it is elastic, inelastic, or partially elastic. It takes into account the masses and velocities of the objects involved.

4. What units should I use for the masses and velocities in the formula?

The masses should be in kilograms (kg) and the velocities should be in meters per second (m/s).

5. Is this formula accurate for real-life collisions?

This formula is an ideal model that does not take into account factors such as friction, air resistance, and deformation of objects. In real-life collisions, these factors can affect the outcome and may result in a slightly different ratio of masses after the collision.