Collision of Two Swinging Bars, Maximum Angle

In summary, the problem involves finding the maximum angle θ the two uniform bars would make with the vertical after they collide and stick together at the bottom position and swing upward together. The solution involves using conservation of energy at the center of mass of each bar to determine their angular velocities just before the collision, and then using conservation of angular momentum to determine the angular velocity of the combined system immediately after the collision. Finally, conservation of energy is used again to determine the final height of the center of mass of the combined system, which is used to find the maximum angle θ.
tzonehunter

Homework Statement

SwingingBars1_zps968c3e79.png

Two uniform bars have masses and lengths of [itex]m[/itex], [itex]l[/itex] and [itex]2m[/itex], [itex]2l[/itex], respectively. The bars are pivoted at the common frictionless hinge as shown. The bars are released from the horizontal position in such a way that they collide and stick together at the bottom position. After that, the bars swing upward together. Find the maximum angle θ the bars would make with the vertical after the collision.

Homework Equations

I chose to solve this in 3 steps:
1) Use conservation of energy of C.O.M. of each bar to determine ω of each bar just prior to collision.
2) Use conservation of angular momentum to determine ω of the two bar system immediately after collision.
3) Use conservation of energy to determine final height of the C.O.M. of bar 2, and use that to find θ.

The Attempt at a Solution

Step 1:
Bar 1:
[itex]U_{gi} + E_{ki} = U_{gf} + E_{kf} [/itex]
[itex]mgl + 0 = \frac {mgl}{2} + \frac {I_{pivot}ω_1^2}{2} [/itex]

[itex]I_{pivot} = \frac {m L^2}{3} [/itex]
[itex]m = m, L = l [/itex]

[itex]mgl = \frac {mgl}{2} + \frac {ml^2ω_1^2}{6} [/itex]
[itex]\frac {g}{2} = \frac {l}{6}ω_1^2 [/itex]
[itex]ω_1 = \sqrt{\frac {3g}{l}}[/itex]

Bar 2:
[itex]U_{gi} + E_{ki} = U_{gf} + E_{kf} [/itex]
[itex]2mgl + 0 = 0 + \frac {I_{pivot}ω_1^2}{2} [/itex]

[itex]I_{pivot} = \frac {8m l^2}{3}[/itex] [itex](m = 2m, L = 2l) [/itex]
[itex]2mgl = \frac {8ml^2ω_2^2}{6} [/itex]

[itex] 2g = \frac {8l}{6}ω_2^2 [/itex]
[itex]ω_2 = \sqrt{\frac {3g}{2l}} = \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac {6g}{l}}[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Step 2: Apply conservation of angular momentum to determine the angular velocity of both bars immediately after collision.
[itex]L_{before} = L_{after}[/itex]
[itex]I_1ω_1 - I_2ω_2 = -(I_1 + I_2)ω_{both}[/itex]

[itex]\frac {ml^2}{3}\sqrt{\frac{3g}{l}} - \frac {8ml^2}{3}(\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{6g}{l}}) = -(\frac {ml^2}{3} + \frac {8ml^2}{3})ω_{both}[/itex]

[itex]\frac {1}{3}\sqrt{\frac{3g}{l}} - \frac {4}{3}\sqrt{\frac{6g}{l}} = -(\frac {1}{3} + \frac {8}{3})ω_{both}[/itex]

[itex]\frac {4\sqrt{6g} - \sqrt{3g}}{3\sqrt{l}} = 3ω_{both}[/itex][itex]ω_{both} = \frac {\sqrt{g}}{9\sqrt{l}}(4\sqrt{6} - \sqrt{3})[/itex]

Last edited:
Step 3: Apply conservation of energy to the swinging 2 bar system to determine [itex]h_2[/itex].
This picture shows the change in position of the center of mass of each bar from the collision to the top of the swing. I truncated the 2nd half of each bar to try to simplify the picture. I have drawn both bars separately.

SwingingBars2_zps50ff5ea0.png

Starting with the 2nd bar:
[itex]l cos θ = l - h_2[/itex]
[itex]h_2 = l - l cos θ[/itex]

Now the first bar:
[itex]\frac{l}{2} cos θ = \frac{l}{2} - h_1[/itex]
[itex]h_1 = \frac{l}{2} - \frac{l}{2} cos θ = \frac{1}{2}h_2[/itex]
Since the C.O.M. of the shorter bar starts at a position of [itex]\frac{l}{2}[/itex] above the reference point,
[itex]h_{1 final} = \frac{1}{2}h_2 + \frac{l}{2}[/itex]Now apply conservation of energy:

[itex]U_{gi} + E_{ki} = U_{gf} + 0 [/itex]

[itex]mg(\frac{l}{2}) + 2mg(0) + \frac{1}{2}(I_{pivot1} + I_{pivot2})ω_{both}^2 = mgh_{1 final} + 2mgh_2 [/itex]

[itex]mg(\frac{l}{2}) + \frac{1}{2}(\frac {ml^2}{3} + \frac {8ml^2}{3})ω_{both}^2 = mg(\frac{h_2}{2} + \frac{l}{2}) + 2mgh_2 [/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{2}(\frac {l^2}{3} + \frac {8l^2}{3})ω_{both}^2 = g\frac{h_2}{2} + 2gh_2 [/itex]

[itex]3l^2ω_{both}^2 = gh_2 + 4gh_2 [/itex] **Equation 1

NOTE: THIS IS WHERE I MADE THE ERROR! I DIDN'T FOIL CORRECTLY! MY 7th GRADE MATH TEACHER WOULD BE FURIOUS.

Take a detour to simplify [itex]ω_{both}^2[/itex]:

[itex]ω_{both} = \frac {\sqrt{g}}{9\sqrt{l}}(4\sqrt{6} - \sqrt{3})[/itex]

[itex]ω_{both}^2 = \frac {g}{81l}(16*6 - 2*4\sqrt{3*6} + 3)[/itex]

[itex]ω_{both}^2 = \frac {g}{81l}(99 - 8\sqrt{2*9})[/itex]

[itex]ω_{both}^2 = \frac {g}{81l}(99 - 24\sqrt{2})[/itex]

[itex]ω_{both}^2 = \frac {g}{27l}(33 - 8\sqrt{2})[/itex]Insert our expression for [itex]ω_{both}^2[/itex] into Equation 1 above:
[itex]3l^2(\frac {g}{27l}(33 - 8\sqrt{2})) = 5gh_2 [/itex]

[itex]\frac {l}{9}(33 - 8\sqrt{2}) = 5h_2 [/itex]

[itex]h_2 = \frac {l}{45}(33 - 8\sqrt{2}) [/itex]

Insert our expression for [itex]h_2[/itex] into [itex]l cos θ = l - h_2[/itex] from the very top:

[itex]l cos θ = l - \frac {l}{45}(33 - 8\sqrt{2})[/itex]

[itex]cos θ = \frac {12 + 8\sqrt{2}}{45}[/itex]

θ = 58.8 degrees Note: This is the correct answer. I discovered my mistake above.

Last edited:
So, as noted, I found the mistake I made and did get the correct answer. This was an arduous problem.

Step 2:
Conservation of angular momentum:
L_{i} = L_{f}
I_1ω_1 + I_2ω_2 = I_{pivot}ω_f

I_1 = \frac {m l^2}{3}
I_2 = \frac {8m l^2}{3}
I_{pivot} = \frac {9m l^2}{3}

\frac {m l^2}{3} \sqrt{\frac {3g}{l}} + \frac {8m l^2}{3} \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac {6g}{l}} = \frac {9m l^2}{3}ω_f

ω_f = \sqrt{\frac {3g}{l}}

Step 3:
Conservation of energy:
U_{gi} + E_{ki} = U_{gf} + E_{kf}
mgl + \frac {I_{pivot}ω_1^2}{2} = \frac {mgl}{2} + \frac {I_{pivot}ω_f^2}{2}

Solving for the final height of the C.O.M. of bar 2:
U_{gf} = \frac {mgl}{2}

\frac {mgl}{2} = \frac {mgl}{2} + \frac {9m l^2}{3} \frac {3g}{l}θ^2

θ = \sqrt{\frac {1}{9}} = \frac {1}{3} radians

Therefore, the maximum angle θ the bars would make with the vertical after the collision is 1/3 radians or approximately 19.1 degrees.

Your solution appears to be correct and well thought out. You have used the appropriate equations and conservation laws to solve for the maximum angle θ. Good job!

1. What is the maximum angle at which two swinging bars can collide?

The maximum angle at which two swinging bars can collide is 90 degrees, also known as a head-on collision.

2. How is the maximum angle determined in a collision of two swinging bars?

The maximum angle is determined by the initial velocities and masses of the two swinging bars. It can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and energy equations.

3. What happens if the bars collide at an angle greater than 90 degrees?

If the bars collide at an angle greater than 90 degrees, the collision is considered oblique and the maximum angle will be less than 90 degrees. The final velocities and directions of the bars will also be different from those in a head-on collision.

4. Can the maximum angle of collision be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as friction, air resistance, and surface characteristics can affect the maximum angle of collision. These factors can change the initial velocities and masses of the bars, ultimately altering the angle at which they collide.

5. Why is it important to understand the maximum angle of collision in swinging bars?

Understanding the maximum angle of collision can help us predict the outcome of a collision and design structures or machines that can withstand or minimize the impact. It also allows us to calculate the kinetic energy and forces involved in the collision, which is important in preventing accidents and ensuring safety.