Solving Collision Problem: Find Angle Between Initial Velocities

• Thread starter jenavira
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, after a completely inelastic collision, two objects of the same mass and same initial speed are found to move away together at half their initial speed. To find the angle between the initial velocities of the objects, use the equation mvsin\theta + mvsin\alpha = 0, where \theta and \alpha are the respective angles of the initial velocities of the respective masses relative to the final velocity of the two masses together. This equation shows that the angles are equal, and the rest of the solution should be straightforward.
jenavira
Collision problem

After a completely inelastic collision, two objects of the same mass and same initial speed are found to move away together at half their initial speed. Find the angle between the initial velocities of the objects.

I've got the equations
(2mv)cos theta1 = 2m.5v cos theta2
&
mv sin theta1 = 2m.5v sin theta2

But I'm not sure where to go from there. (Actually, I'm not sure how to get a numerical answer out of something I haven't been given any numbers to put into, so there's probably a conceptual thing I'm missing here...)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jenavira said:
After a completely inelastic collision, two objects of the same mass and same initial speed are found to move away together at half their initial speed. Find the angle between the initial velocities of the objects.

I've got the equations
(2mv)cos theta1 = 2m.5v cos theta2
&
mv sin theta1 = 2m.5v sin theta2

But I'm not sure where to go from there. (Actually, I'm not sure how to get a numerical answer out of something I haven't been given any numbers to put into, so there's probably a conceptual thing I'm missing here...)

Try using:

[tex]mvsin\theta + mvsin\alpha = 0[/tex]

where [itex]\theta [/itex] and [itex]\alpha[/itex] are the respective angles of the initial velocities of the respective masses relative to the final velocity of the two masses together. This tells you that the angles are equal (after all, why should they be different?).

The rest should be obvious.

AM

To solve this collision problem and find the angle between the initial velocities, we can use the conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy equations. In an inelastic collision, the total momentum and total kinetic energy of the system are conserved.

Let's say the initial velocities of the two objects are v1 and v2, with an angle theta between them. After the collision, they move away together at a speed of 0.5v1 and an angle of 180 degrees. This means that the final velocity of the system is 0.5v1 at an angle of 180 degrees.

Using the conservation of momentum equation, we can write:

m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1 + m2)0.5v1

Simplifying this equation, we get:

v2 = (0.5m1v1)/(m2 + 0.5m1)

Similarly, using the conservation of kinetic energy equation, we can write:

0.5m1v1^2 + 0.5m2v2^2 = 0.5(m1 + m2)0.5v1^2

Simplifying this equation, we get:

v2 = (0.5m1v1)/(m2 + 0.5m1)

Now, we have two equations for v2, so we can equate them and solve for theta:

(0.5m1v1)/(m2 + 0.5m1) = (0.5m1v1)/(m2 + 0.5m1)

Solving for theta, we get:

theta = arccos(0.5)

Therefore, the angle between the initial velocities of the two objects is approximately 60 degrees. This means that the objects were initially moving towards each other at an angle of 60 degrees before the collision occurred.

1. How do you calculate the angle between the initial velocities in a collision?

The angle between the initial velocities in a collision can be calculated using the law of cosines. This formula takes into account the magnitude and direction of both velocities and gives the angle between them.

2. Can you use the law of cosines for any type of collision?

Yes, the law of cosines can be used for any type of collision where two objects are moving towards each other and collide at a given angle.

3. What is the purpose of finding the angle between initial velocities in a collision?

Finding the angle between initial velocities in a collision is important because it helps determine the direction and magnitude of the final velocities after the collision. This information is crucial in understanding the outcome of a collision and can be used to predict the motion of the objects involved.

4. How does the angle between initial velocities affect the final velocities in a collision?

The angle between initial velocities directly affects the final velocities in a collision. A shallow angle will result in a lower change in velocity, while a more perpendicular angle will result in a larger change in velocity. This is due to the law of conservation of momentum and the transfer of energy during a collision.

5. Are there any limitations to using the law of cosines to find the angle between initial velocities in a collision?

While the law of cosines is a useful tool for solving collision problems, it does have limitations. It assumes that the objects involved in the collision are point masses and that there are no external forces acting on them. In reality, most collisions involve objects with non-zero sizes and other external forces, so the results may not be entirely accurate.