Collisions- Simple Algebra Problem

In summary, the conversation is about solving a simple algebra problem involving collisions and using the laws of conservation of momentum and kinetic energy. The final speed of block 1, u_{f}, is found by substituting for v_{f} in the conservation of momentum formula and solving for u_{f}. After some initial confusion and mistakes, the correct expression is found and simplified to solve for u_{f}.
verd
Collisions-- Simple Algebra Problem...

Hi,

So... I think I'm having a simple algebra problem-- I was just wondering if someone could point out my error. This is the problem:

Block 1, of mass [tex]m_{1}[/tex], moves across a frictionless surface with speed [tex]u_{i}[/tex]. It collides elastically with block 2, of mass [tex]m_{2}[/tex], which is at rest ([tex]v_{i}=0[/tex]). After the collision, block 1 moves with speed [tex]u_{f}[/tex], while block 2 moves with speed [tex]v_{f}[/tex]. Assume that [tex]m_{1} > m_{2}[/tex], so that after the collision, the two objects move off in the direction of the first object before the collision.

[Image]

What is the final speed [tex]u_{f}[/tex] of block 1?

So-- I find [tex]m_{2}v_{f}[/tex] using the law of conservation of momentum:
[tex]m_{2}v_{f} =m_{1}u_{i}-m_{1}u_{f}[/tex]

And I find [tex]m_{2}v_{f}^2[/tex] using the law of conservation of kinetic energy:
[tex]m_{2}v_{f}^2 = m_{1}(u_{i} - u_{f})(u_{i} + u_{f}).[/tex]

Then I find [tex]v_{f}[/tex] using only [tex]u_{i}[/tex], and [tex]u_{f}[/tex]:
[tex]v_{f} =\displaystyle{\frac{-(u_{i}+u_{f})-(u_{i}+u_{f})}{-2}}[/tex]

Now, I have to substitute what I just found for [tex]v_{f}[/tex] into the conservation of momentum formula, and solve for [tex]u_{f}[/tex]. ...But I guess I'm having difficulty singling out the [tex]u_{f}[/tex].

This is what I've got:

[tex]m_{1}u_{1} = m_{1}u_{f} + m_{2}(\displaystyle{\frac{-(u_{i}+u_{f})-(u_{i}+u_{f})}{-2}})[/tex]
...And here, I think I messed my algebra up, but when I simplify that, I get:
[tex]m_{1}u_{1} = m_{2}(u_{f} + u_{i}) + m_{1}u_{f}[/tex]

Is that right? ...If not/if so, how do I get the [tex]u_{f}[/tex] on just one side?

Physics news on Phys.org
verd said:
So-- I find [tex]m_{2}v_{f}[/tex] using the law of conservation of momentum:
[tex]m_{2}v_{f} =m_{1}u_{i}-m_{1}u_{f}[/tex]
OK.

And I find [tex]m_{2}v_{f}^2[/tex] using the law of conservation of kinetic energy:
[tex]m_{2}v_{f}^2 = m_{1}(u_{i} - u_{f})(u_{i} + u_{f}).[/tex]
OK.

Then I find [tex]v_{f}[/tex] using only [tex]u_{i}[/tex], and [tex]u_{f}[/tex]:
[tex]v_{f} =\displaystyle{\frac{-(u_{i}+u_{f})-(u_{i}+u_{f})}{-2}}[/tex]
I have no idea what you are doing here. This expression simplifies to: [itex]v_{f} = u_{i}+u_{f}[/itex], which is incorrect.

You can rewrite the momentum equation to get
[tex]v_{f} = \frac{m_1}{m_2} (u_{i} - u_{f})[/tex]
Perhaps this is what you meant? Now just plug that into the KE equation to eliminate [itex]v_f[/itex] and simplify.

...And here, I think I messed my algebra up, but when I simplify that, I get:
[tex]m_{1}u_{1} = m_{2}(u_{f} + u_{i}) + m_{1}u_{f}[/tex]

Is that right? ...If not/if so, how do I get the [tex]u_{f}[/tex] on just one side?
Amazingly, it is right. (It's equivalent to what you get when you do the "plugging in" that I suggest above.) So I suspect you made a typo earlier on. To simplify this expression, just multiply it out and move all terms containing [itex]u_f[/itex] to one side and all other terms to the other side.

woo, okay. thanks. I got it. ...Really, much appreciated.

Thanks again... (Eh, I'm having a really hard time in this class- if you couldn't tell. AND I made the mistake of taking it as a 7-week course. ...I obviously didn't know what I was in for. Really, thanks again.)

1. What is a collision in the context of simple algebra problems?

A collision in simple algebra problems refers to the intersection or overlap of two or more objects or equations. This can happen when solving for variables, graphing equations, or solving word problems.

2. How do I know if I have a collision in my algebra problem?

If you are solving for variables and end up with a solution that doesn't make sense or leads to a contradiction, you may have a collision. Additionally, if graphing two equations results in a point of intersection, this is also considered a collision.

3. Can collisions make a problem unsolvable?

Yes, sometimes a collision can make a problem unsolvable. This typically happens when solving for variables and the equations have no solution or when graphing two equations that are parallel and do not intersect.

4. How can I solve a collision in a simple algebra problem?

To solve a collision, you may need to rearrange equations, use substitution or elimination methods, or graph the equations to find the point of intersection. It may also be helpful to check your work and make sure you haven't made any mistakes.

5. Are collisions common in simple algebra problems?

Collisions are not uncommon in simple algebra problems, especially when working with multiple equations or variables. However, they can usually be solved with some algebraic manipulation or graphing techniques.