Colour blindness: A hindrance for an EE education and related jobs?

In summary, Jason is going to study Electrical Engineering this semester and he is worried about having any problems due to his colorblindness. He has no problem distinguishing between resistor codes, but he flunks tests for colorblindness often. He just wanted to make sure that he didn't have any problems at the University or later in life when looking for jobs. He knows that this has been answered partially in another thread, and he is looking forward to getting more input.
Copernicus
Hello

I am going to study Electrical Engineering this coming semester and i just wanted to make sure that i don't get any problems due to my minor red-green colour blindness.
I have no problem distinguishing between resistor codes but i normally flunk tests for colour blindness. I rarely have any problems with it and its mostly evident when i test for it.

I just wanted to know if I would have any problem at the University or later in life when looking for jobs. Does anyone know if companies test Electrical Engineers for colour blindness due to some safety requirements or the like.

I know this has already been answered partially in another thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=386898&highlight=colour+blind

I just wanted to get some extra input as the deadline for admission is soon approaching and i want to make sure that i make the right choice :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry about it. I am an EE in industry and also have red-green color blindness. I usually cannot read resistor codes as I cannot distinguish the colors. When circuits are built in industry, the EE typically designs, and the technician assembles the circuit (a good tech is better than almost any EE at actually assembling a board!). I earned a PhD in EE and have been in industry for 10+ years, and the color blindness has had no impact on my career. Good luck!
jason

Steer clear of discrete circuit assembly and fault finding, along with colour display technology and no one will ever notice. Colour coded resistors are less and less common these days and, if you go for 'systems' rather than 'circuits', you can avoid them.

In labs quite often you'll need to set up circuits, not being able to read the colour codes will make this a bit more difficult, but in all honesty most people just use a multimeter to read the value of the resistor.
Might be handy for you to go get one. (having one is useful as it always seems the our labs need to record 1 more value than we have meters at the bench lol)

SMT stuff isn't even color coded. And the majority of manufactured items are SMT.

I'll join the " don't worry about it " chorus.

Surface mount devices (if marked at all) have a tiny number on top.
Mil resistor values are printed with digits.
Many mil capacitors bear a number that requires you to use a lookup table to find value

At my age i need a stereo microscope just to see today's parts, let alone identify them.

You are fine.

V=IR in any color.

Thanks guys, looking forward to first semester!

I'm an IC designer. One of the senior designers in my group is colorblind. The only affect it has on his work is once it a while he'll ask which curve is which during a powerpoint presentation he is attending. Doesn't slow him down a bit. Don't worry about it.

1. What is colour blindness?

Colour blindness, also known as color vision deficiency, is a condition in which a person has difficulty distinguishing between certain colours. It is typically caused by a deficiency or absence of certain cells in the retina that are responsible for detecting different colors.

2. How common is colour blindness?

Colour blindness affects approximately 1 in 12 men and 1 in 200 women worldwide. It is more common in males because the genes responsible for colour vision are located on the X chromosome, of which males only have one. This means that if their X chromosome carries the gene for colour blindness, they will have the condition.

3. Can colour blindness be cured?

Currently, there is no cure for colour blindness. However, there are some tools and techniques that can help people with colour blindness to better distinguish between colours, such as special glasses or filters. In some cases, gene therapy may also be a potential treatment in the future.

4. How does colour blindness affect an EE education and related jobs?

Colour blindness can make it difficult for individuals to work with colour-coded diagrams, graphs, and charts, which are commonly used in electrical engineering. This can also be a hindrance in jobs that require distinguishing between different coloured wires or components. However, with accommodations and assistive technology, individuals with colour blindness can still pursue an EE education and related jobs.

5. Are there any laws or regulations in place to protect individuals with colour blindness in the workplace?

In some countries, there may be laws or regulations in place that protect individuals with disabilities, including colour blindness, from discrimination in the workplace. It is important for employers to provide accommodations and make necessary adjustments to ensure individuals with colour blindness can perform their job duties effectively. However, these laws and regulations may vary depending on the country or region.