{Combinatorics} Finding the number of triangles in a plane

In summary, the problem asks to find the number of isosceles triangles with all three vertices belonging to the set of points in the coordinate plane given by ##A_i=(i,1)## for ##l\leq i\leq15## and ##A_i=(i-15,4)## for ##16\leq i \leq 30##. To solve this, one needs to consider the different types of isosceles triangles that can be formed, such as those with two vertices on the lower line and one on the upper line, those with two vertices on the same x coordinate and the other vertex three units away, and those with a diagonal that is a whole number. By using geometric
youngstudent16

Homework Statement

In the coordinate plane let ##A_i=(i,1)## for ##l\leq i\leq15##, and let ##A_i=(i-15,4)## for ##16\leq i \leq 30##. Find the number of all isosceles triangles, where all three vertices belong to the set ##\{A_1,A_2, \cdots,A_{30}\}##

Homework Equations

Knowing the number of vertices that are equal distance?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have really no idea what to do since I don't really know how to reword the question or of similar problems. I know that the vertices will all be equal distance apart from each other and however many vertices I have in the plane I will divide that by 3 to get the left over number of triangles. Is this some what in the right direction? Or any relevant wikipedia articles I can look at that might give me some insight. I know this is a weak attempt but I don't have background to know what to try really.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
youngstudent16 said:

Homework Statement

In the coordinate plane let ##A_i=(i,1)## for ##l\leq i\leq15##, and let ##A_i=(i-15,4)## for ##16\leq i \leq 30##. Find the number of all isosceles triangles, where all three vertices belong to the set ##\{A_1,A_2, \cdots,A_{30}\}##

Homework Equations

Knowing the number of vertices are all equal distance?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have really no idea what to do since I don't really know how to reword the question or of similar problems. I know that the vertices will all be equal distance apart from each other and however many vertices I have in the plane I will divide that by 3 to get the left over number of triangles. Is this some what in the right direction? Or any relevant wikipedia articles I can look at that might give me some insight. I know this is a weak attempt but I don't have background to know what to try really.
An equilateral triangle has all three sides of equal length.

An isosceles triangle has two sides of equal length; some consider an equilateral triangle to be a special case of an isosceles triangle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isosceles_triangle

So I plot the points do I have to worry about using a point more then once such as 123 345

I thought it read equilateral for some reason so yeah I know two points will be equal distance to another point. Where do I go from that thought? Plot them all would be a guess.

youngstudent16 said:
So I plot the points do I have to worry about using a point more then once such as 123 345

I thought it read equilateral for some reason so yeah I know two points will be equal distance to another point. Where do I go from that thought? Plot them all would be a guess.
You have a set of 30 points. There may be more than one isosceles triangle which has a vertex at one of these thirty points.

I have to account for all the repeats how would I use the choose function so I don't count them all because I feel it will be quite a large number. Like what are my constraints is what I'm having trouble seeing. I can't count them by hand I see now.

Like with those 30 points can I use them as many times as I want to make triangles or once its on the plane I can't generate it again.

If I can't generate it again I feel it should just be ##14## triangles going down the line 123, 345 etc.

So if know that the triangle will either have 2 vertices in the top row and 1 in the bottom row, or vice versa. If I have 2 vertices in the top row, how many ways can I choose a vertex in the bottom row so the triangle is isosceles?

The most apparent cases are those like: (2,1),(1,4),(3,4) or (8,1), (3,4), (13,4) having two vertices in the upper set and one in the lower as well as their mirror images.
Next, you will want to consider triangles like (1,1), (1,4), (4,4) where one pair of vertices are on the same x coordinate and the other vertex is three away.
Finally, you would look for any distances where the diagonal could be a whole number, eg (1,1), (1,6), (5,4) where the diagonal from (1,1) to (5,4) is length 5.
Once you account for those three types of triangles, you will need to find a method to count how many are possible.

This seems like it might take some time. I recommend only looking at the set with one vertex on one side, then double the count, since there is symmetry.

RUber said:
The most apparent cases are those like: (2,1),(1,4),(3,4) or (8,1), (3,4), (13,4) having two vertices in the upper set and one in the lower as well as their mirror images.
Since they're symmetric about a vertical axis, the mirror images are the same triangles.
RUber said:
Finally, you would look for any distances where the diagonal could be a whole number, eg (1,1), (1,6), (5,4) where the diagonal from (1,1) to (5,4) is length 5.
6 is not a valid value for y, so I'm not sure what you meant here.
youngstudent, you need to do a bit of geometry here. Suppose there is an isosceles triangle with two vertices on the lower line snd one on the upper line, and the side along the lower line is equal to one of the others. The Ai point on the lower line directly below the vertex on the upper line lies between the two vertices on the lower line. If the distances from it to those two vertices are a and b, what equation can you write?

haruspex said:
6 is not a valid value for y, so I'm not sure what you meant here.

Sorry, I meant (1,1) (6,1) (5,4).

1. How do you determine the number of triangles in a plane?

To determine the number of triangles in a plane, you can use the formula n(n-1)(n-2)/6, where n represents the number of points on the plane. This formula works because for every set of three points, there is only one unique triangle that can be formed.

2. What is the difference between counting triangles and counting combinations?

Counting triangles involves finding the number of distinct triangles that can be formed from a set of points on a plane. Counting combinations, on the other hand, involves finding the number of ways to choose a subset of objects from a larger set, without regard to their order. In combinatorics, counting triangles is an example of counting combinations with a specific order.

3. How do you account for overlapping triangles when counting?

When counting the number of triangles in a plane, it is important to account for overlapping triangles. This can be done by subtracting the number of overlapping triangles from the total number of triangles. Overlapping triangles can be identified by looking for shared sides or vertices between two or more triangles.

4. Can the number of triangles in a plane be negative?

No, the number of triangles in a plane cannot be negative. This is because triangles are a geometric shape and cannot have negative quantities. The formula for finding the number of triangles always results in a positive integer.

5. How can the number of triangles in a plane be applied to real-world situations?

The concept of finding the number of triangles in a plane can be applied to various real-world situations, such as in the fields of engineering and architecture. For example, when designing structures or objects, it is important to know the number of triangles that can be formed from a set of points to ensure stability and structural integrity. In computer graphics, the number of triangles can also be used to determine the complexity and quality of a rendered image.