Combinatorics (Partitioning books onto shelves)

In summary, there are 10626 different arrangements if only the number of books on the shelves is considered, 20! times that number of arrangements if the order on the shelves matters, and the same number of arrangements as (a) times 20! if the order of books on the shelves doesn't matter but which books are where does matter.
tdschenk

Homework Statement

45.) Twenty different books are to be put on five book shelves, each of which holds at least twenty books.
a) How many different arrangements are there if you only care about the number of books on the shelves (and not which book is where)?
b) How many different arrangements are there if you care about which books are where, but the order of the books on the shelves doesn't matter?
c) How many different arrangements are there if the order on the shelves does matter?

Homework Equations

For part (a)

I know that the equation for separating objects into unlabeled partitions is

n!/(k!)(n1!)(n2!)..(nk!)

where n1,n2,etc. are the number of objects in each partition and k is the number of partitions, but I don't know where to go from there. Is this the right idea? Hopefully if someone can help me with (a) i can figure out the other parts of the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright. I found the answer to (a) to be 10626 and am quite confident I am correct, and (c) is just that answer*(20!).

Now I am stuck on part (b). Any hints would be appreciated.

(b) Suppose you make a list of the books and write, next to each book, the number of the shelf it's on.

Ahh right, I guess I just got mixed up on the wording. When you say it like that, I got it right away. Ha ha, thanks!

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arrangement of objects in finite sets.

2. What is the application of combinatorics in partitioning books onto shelves?

Combinatorics can be applied in determining the total number of ways to arrange books on shelves, taking into consideration the various factors such as the number of shelves available and the size and number of books.

3. How do you calculate the number of ways to partition books onto shelves?

The number of ways to partition books onto shelves can be calculated using the formula n^k, where n is the number of books and k is the number of shelves. This is known as the combination formula.

4. What are some additional factors to consider in partitioning books onto shelves?

Additional factors to consider include the orientation of the books (horizontal or vertical), the order in which the books are placed on the shelves, and any restrictions or limitations on the arrangement of books.

5. Can combinatorics also be applied in other real-life scenarios?

Yes, combinatorics has various applications in real-life scenarios such as in computer science, genetics, and game theory. It is used to solve problems involving counting, arrangements, and combinations of objects.