Can you prove the combinatorics equation nC(k-1) + nCk = (n+1)Ck for k > 0?

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the equation nC(k-1) + nCk = (n+1)Ck, where k > 0, using the formula for binomial coefficients. The participants consider different approaches, including using the definition of C and verbal interpretation. They ultimately arrive at a solution that involves adding the number of ways to choose k items from a set of n items and choosing k-1 items from a set of n+1 items.
courtrigrad
Hello all

In my calculus book, this problem has been pestering me"

Prove nC(k-1) + nCk = (n+1)Ck, where k > 0 which is read " n choose k-1" + "n choose k"

= n+1C k.

I tried using the formula for the binomial coefficient, but it becomes very messy. I also tried setting k = 1, but then it did not seem like I was actually proving it. Rather I was showing that the statement holds for k > 0. Would I have to use proof my induction? I know that n! = n(n-1)!. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just expand the left hand side of the given formula and take out (n+1)!/[k!(n+1-k)!], then you will be left with [k/(n+1)]+[(n-k+1)/(n+1)] which is equal to 1.

You're welcome! --lol--

Hello courtigrad.

To prove it, just remember the defintion of C,

[tex] C_{k-1}^{n} + C_{k}^{n} [/tex]
[tex] = \frac {n!} {(k-1)!(n-k+1)!} + \frac {n!}{k!(n-k)!} [/tex]
[tex] = \frac {n!k} {k!(n-k+1)!} + \frac {n!(n-k+1)}{k!(n-k+1)!} [/tex]
[tex] = \frac {n!}{k!(n+1-k)!} (k+n-k+1) [/tex]
[tex] = C_{k}^{n+1} [/tex]

The equation has a verbal interpretation. To choose k things from n+1 things, we can first take away one thing (call it x) from the n+1 things, leaving n things. Then we may either make x one of our k things to be choosen (and in this case we choose k-1 things from the remaining n things), or exclude x as our choice (and in this case we choose all the k things from the remaining n things).

Thanks a lot guys! That was of great help. Wong I really appreciate how much time you spent writing your solution. It is very elegant!

FWIW - here's another take on the problem: Suppose a set S contains n items. You add one additional item to form a new set S' (containing n+1 items). Now in choosing k items from S' you could choose them all from the original n items in S, C(n, k), or you could choose the item you just added plus k-1 items from the original items, C(n, k-1) so that C(n+1, k) = C(n, k) + C(n, k-1).

1. What is combinatorics proof?

Combinatorics proof is a mathematical proof technique that uses counting principles to show that two expressions are equal. It is often used to prove identities and solve problems involving combinations, permutations, and other counting techniques.

2. How is combinatorics proof different from other proof techniques?

Combinatorics proof focuses on counting and enumerating all possible outcomes, whereas other proof techniques may use algebraic manipulation, logic, or induction. Combinatorics proof is especially useful for problems involving discrete objects and finite sets.

3. What are some common strategies used in combinatorics proof?

Some common strategies used in combinatorics proof include using the Fundamental Counting Principle, applying the Binomial Theorem, using the Pigeonhole Principle, and using mathematical induction. These strategies help to systematically count and enumerate all possible outcomes and show that they are equal.

4. Can combinatorics proof be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, combinatorics proof can be applied to real-world problems involving counting and probability. It can be used to solve problems in fields such as computer science, genetics, finance, and more. For example, combinatorics proof can be used to analyze the probability of winning a game of chance or to optimize the arrangement of objects in a computer algorithm.

5. What are some tips for successfully using combinatorics proof?

Some tips for successfully using combinatorics proof include thoroughly understanding counting principles and techniques, practicing with a variety of problems, breaking down the problem into smaller parts, and checking for errors and inconsistencies. It is also helpful to be familiar with common combinatorics identities and theorems, such as the Binomial Theorem and the Principle of Inclusion-Exclusion.