1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Common angular speed after collision

1. Dec 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Disk A, with a mass of 9.0 and a radius of 90 , rotates clockwise about a frictionless vertical axle at 30 . Disk B, also 9.0 but with a radius of 10 , rotates counterclockwise about that same axle, but at a greater height than disk A, at 30 . Disk B slides down the axle until it lands on top of disk A, after which they rotate together.

2. Relevant equations

ive been trying to find the acceleration? a=delta w/delta t but obviously this isnt wokring!!!

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can't even attempt a solution. im completely lost on this one, so much so i registered for physics forum just to get some help.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2009 #2
    Whats the question? Edit: I see it now in the heading. What about conservation of angular momenta?

4. Dec 5, 2009 #3
    the setup: disk a has a mass of 9.0 kg and a radius of 90cm, rotates clockwise about a frictionless vertical axle at 30 rev/s. disk b, also 9.0 kg but with a radius of 10cm rotates counterclockwise about that same axle but at a greater height than disk a, at 30 rev/s. disk b slides down the axle until it lands on top of disk a, after which they rotate together. after the collision, what is their common angular speed in rev/s?

i tried:
    A has L= I x w, I = mass x rad^2 = 7.29 x -30 = -218.7 L for b = +2.7. So the final L = -216 CW

its not working. very frustrating.

5. Dec 6, 2009 #4
    maybe the math--using cm-kg: this is the (1/2 mR^2) x revs/sec
    a: +9 x 8100/2 x 30
    b: -9 x 100/2 x 30
    Sum: 9 x 8000/2 x 30 = 36000 x 30 = 108 x 10^4

Sum for the composite= [9 x 8100/2 + 9 x 100/2] x ? =9 x 4100 x ?
    ? = 29.27 RPS

PS: clockwise rotation I define as positive quantity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook