1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Common Emitter with emitter resistance small signal model

1. Sep 10, 2015 #1
    [Mentor's Note: Thread Moved from EE Forum]

This link has the picture, for some reason it wasnt showing in this post. http://i.imgur.com/TYlb32t.jpg
    Here is my problem, I am supposed to use this circuit and solve for Av and Rin. My problem is that I have solved for Av but I cant solve for Rin no matter what I use. Its very frustrating. I need to use the pi model.

Here is my work for the Av gain.

i2yiMT6.jpg

Please let me now if this is correct and then a tip on how I can solve for Rin which should be Rin = RB|| r_pi (R_E(1+B)). Is Vbe only across r_pi or r_pi and R_E?

Av = -B(R_C||R_L)/(r_pi) which is what I have in my work in the upper right middle

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2015 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Welcome to PF.
    Is this either coursework or homework ?

small_circuit.png

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  4. Sep 10, 2015 #3
    Its homework, do you think there is a typo in the Rin given? Or is the emitter resistance in the wrong place?

5. Sep 10, 2015 #4

Baluncore

Science Advisor

I shrank and posted the circuit.
    Rin is shown as an indeterminate arrow, Is it measured at Vs of at the base terminal ?
    Rin is frequency dependent because of the series C in the base circuit.
    Re will appear higher resistance to Rin because it is seen through the base current gain, beta.

6. Sep 11, 2015 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Vbe is always the voltage across the active b-e junction; it doesn't embrace voltage across externally placed resistors.

Your formula for Rin looks awkward. The expressions on each side of the "||" symbol should have units of Ohms.

7. Sep 11, 2015 #6
    Should Rin be Rin = RB || (rpi + RE*(beta+1)) ?

8. Sep 11, 2015 #7

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

That looks better.

9. Sep 11, 2015 #8

Baluncore

Science Advisor

If R_pi has dimension ohms then your Rin = RB || r_pi (R_E(1+B)) has dimensions of ohm || ohm2
    Where has your R_pi come from ?

See schematic in post #2
    Do you think Rbase = R1 || R2 ?

How is beta defined ?
    Maybe; Rin = Rbase || (Re * beta)
    or; Rin = Rbase || (Re * (1+beta) )

10. Sep 11, 2015 #9
    Baluncore, I think the reason I was having trouble is because the answer they provided was missing the plus sign, a previous professor of mine provided me a pdf file explaining how they get Rin and it definitely shows that it should be Rin = RB || ( rpi + RE(beta +1)).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted